Bonehead of the Week: New Hampshire

Don’t see the comparison? Darkness comes gradually and we know when it will, to the minute almost. The rain can come at anytime during the 24 hour clock. And not even be visible from one side of the track to the other.
Pocono, Daytona and Talladega definitely. Not Loudon... Trust me, Rain covers that track entirely...

What do you want NASCAR to do?

Stay consistent with their policy, as ridiculous as that policy is, or control the race by the seat of their pants? Both of which people would bitch about.

Although, something tells me you’re just burned because some JGR cars got caught up in a ridiculous miscommunication by race control and then another JGR car finished P2 and I’m willing to bet you believe that if the race went the normal distance Bell would have passed Aric and won.

If it had been the 9 and the 24 wrecking instead of the 18 and 19, we wouldn't be hearing a peep out of @Revman

I’m sure it’s true mostly, but it could actually be raining on parts of any track and not other parts. No matter the size.
Just speaking of Loudon. 45 years of going there, I'm sure of what I've seen there. Even when it was Bryar Motorsports park back in the day.,.the whole place gets covered.

Stay consistent with their policy, as ridiculous as that policy is, or control the race by the seat of their pants?
Running the race on a wet track, and calling it when they did is by the seat of their pants man.....Never going to deny my bias....Two of MY big players out on that call, and Bell with the better car at the end stings a bit.

Don’t see the comparison? Darkness comes gradually and we know when it will, to the minute almost. The rain can come at anytime during the 24 hour clock. And not even be visible from one side of the track to the other.
Hassler said specifically that while they knew when sunset was, they had not idea when it would be too dark to continue, or if the call would come. They don't have to see the rain from one side of the track to the other--they have corner observers. You all are making this a bigger deal than I am. To review.....What happened, happened. I would like to see NASCAR's screw up end at this race, and not follow KB and MTJ to Watkins Glen. That's reasonable, but ya know.....this board isn't always reasonable, so whatever.

Although, something tells me you’re just burned because some JGR cars got caught up in a ridiculous miscommunication by race control and then another JGR car finished P2 and I’m willing to bet you believe that if the race went the normal distance Bell would have passed Aric and won.
Two of MY big players out on that call, and Bell with the better car at the end stings a bit.
Ah well then, nailed it. That settles it then.

The Chevys wouldn’t have been leading but if they were, tears would’ve fell like rain.
No worries though, with this bulls***t format the guys that wrecked weren’t negatively impacted.

If it had been the 9 and 24, I wouldn't be crying.
Disappointed? Sure. But it's the middle of the season; no need to carry on about something so minuscule.

Perspective.
Really haven't carried on man....I have stated my position, and the rest of the bunch keeps carrying on....I supposed if I played as some have with this, I would be questioning your fandom with the 9 and the 24. Little bit of bait going on here, and I am fine with that, but to turn it around like I am going on and on isn't exactly the case. I couldn't care less about the point we are in the season. EVERY race is like Christmas for me, and I love winning.....So, to me, this isn't minuscule....Love this stuff. Thank for the exchanges. I do love chatting.

well it's front ends one week, and poor pork chop the next :idunno:
That post is irritating like the gnat that wouldn't leave me alone this evening. Why bother?

you crying about front ends for ten pages is irritating and now your at at least three about ol' slippery
You must be talking about the cheated up front ends of the Chevys? Nothing compared to your endless rants about Bondo on MY Toyotas. I left the rain thing behind....it's your Nuggie Bunch buddies who can't leave it alone.

You must be talking about the cheated up front ends of the Chevys? Nothing compared to your endless rants about Bondo on MY Toyotas. I left the rain thing behind....it's your Nuggie Bunch buddies who can't leave it alone.
well that actually happened to the rice burners at least

I'll share with all you guys.....

mcdonalds-20-Chicken-McNuggets-ShareBox.jpg

IMO it is crazy to believe slowing down is an option when you are taking the green flag and at the front of the pack at a cup race.
It is go time or get run over.

That's why race control has the responsibility to govern things like throwing a caution for the rain.
If car control with slicks was a manageable issue during the rain we would just do it and be impervious to the rain when it happens.

I thought of this when the gerbils started talking about how it was getting dark, except I was thinking of ending it at, say, 8:00 or 8:30 local time.

The race could have ended like a 12-hour or 24-hour race ends, when the clock says "time is up."

Might have made for some interesting end of race strategy.
Tbh I think half to the "darkness" call to end the race was them trying to avoid anymore incidents after the rain at the start of the race. I could be wrong.

Hassler said specifically that while they knew when sunset was, they had not idea when it would be too dark to continue, or if the call would come. They don't have to see the rain from one side of the track to the other--they have corner observers. You all are making this a bigger deal than I am. To review.....What happened, happened. I would like to see NASCAR's screw up end at this race, and not follow KB and MTJ to Watkins Glen. That's reasonable, but ya know.....this board isn't always reasonable, so whatever.
Darkness only gets worse, doesn’t improve or possibly blow over, break up. You know the condition is coming for sure, just don’t know when. Rain is tricky as it can be green right over you but not making it to the ground. OR not even show up on radar and be raining. Teams have radar and have as much info as NASCAR And probably monitor the corner workers radios as well in those situation.

And it takes time for the corner observer to make decision it’s too wet, to call control, for control to put out the caution, and drivers to recognize and slow down. It‘s not an instant process. Bad break for leaders but it happens.

My yard is a 1.5 acre lot. I’ve mowed one side and it’s rained on the other. Just depends on the edge of the band.
Again, Loudon specific. Rain has always covered the whole track and good portions of the Campgrounds whenever I was there during a rain spell. It's a New England thing that us Northerners understand and deal with constantly.

I still have no idea what this chicken nugget business is about.

Just speaking of Loudon. 45 years of going there, I'm sure of what I've seen there. Even when it was Bryar Motorsports park back in the day.,.the whole place gets covered.
Like I said it’s probably normally true for sure, but it still is possible… I’ve been places where it’s raining in someone’s front front but not their back yard. So if that happens, it can surely happen there. Rain starts and stops some place.

Like I said it’s probably normally true for sure, but it still is possible… I’ve been places where it’s raining in someone’s front front but not their back yard. So if that happens, it can surely happen there. Rain starts and stops some place.
Did it rain the last time you were in Loudon ?
Or any other track you've been to?

Did it rain the last time you were in Loudon ?
Or any other track you've been to?
Never been there, and it’s been awhile since I been to any track but it didn’t rain last time. You’re over looking the fact that rain stops somewhere. So its 100% possible to rain on parts of the track and not the others. Doesn’t mean it happens, but it’s possible. You can’t deny that.

Never been there, and it’s been awhile since I been to any track but it didn’t rain last time. You’re over looking the fact that rain stops somewhere. So its 100% possible to rain on parts of the track and not the others. Doesn’t mean it happens, but it’s possible. You can’t deny that.
I'm speaking of Loudon specifically. And yes, anything is possible. But again, I've never had that experience at Loudon. Ever.
It rained at Bristol when I was there a few years ago. Sudden cloudburst deluge , and the whole place was soaked. The rain started somewhere over the property and ended somewhere over the property. So that possibility happened.

I'm speaking of Loudon specifically. And yes, anything is possible. But again, I've never had that experience at Loudon. Ever.
It rained at Bristol when I was there a few years ago. Sudden cloudburst deluge , and the whole place was soaked. The rain started somewhere over the property and ended somewhere over the property. So that possibility happened.
My whole point has always been it's possible. The way you're talking about the track, if rain is coming towards the track, it will stop before it gets to the track, then once the cloud is fully over the track it will start to rain again. Which just sounds fully amazing to me that some how a track can stop rain. That's just mind blowing.

Loudon is not the size of a superspeedway. That is my point ..When it rains, it rains. The whole facility gets covered in seconds. Is that so hard to understand,?
Anyway, I have to leave you now,I have to Armor All my NHIS umbrella...

Loudon is not the size of a superspeedway. That is my point ..When it rains, it rains. The whole facility gets covered in seconds. Is that so hard to understand,?
Anyway, I have to leave you now,I have to Armor All my NHIS umbrella...
Yeah and yards aren’t that size either. But it rains in parts of a yard and not other parts is that so hard to understand? Damn.

I've experienced that in my own yard and it went on for a little bit until it was raining everywhere.

I've experienced that in my own yard and it went on for a little bit until it was raining everywhere.
To bad your yard isn’t like NHMS. Would stop raining as it got to your house, then not start raining til the cloud was fully over your house. But maybe that’s a good thing.

So when the green is waving is it fair to assume that the track is race-able? I am asking that respectfully....and as a follow up....What is the role of the spotter and the drivers radioing in rain? Should they radio when the track is no longer race-able or are you reporting conditions anticipating an un-race-able condition.
First and foremost my job is to keep my driver safe, we have an official in the Spotters tower who can monitor all of our radios and we also have race control in our ears that directly communicate with us. I've listened to several drivers say when the race started it was fine and they didnt have a problem with it then a few laps in they started to question it and NASCAR was talking with corner spotters trying to get a handle on it then in an instant the rain intensified in turn 1 and and 2 which caused the problem. Spotters cant communicate with NASCAR directly via radio, we have to wave the official over and honestly thats not an option under green. We have to depend on them listening in to us or the pit road guys can relay it to the pit officials personally.

Darkness only gets worse, doesn’t improve or possibly blow over, break up. You know the condition is coming for sure, just don’t know when. Rain is tricky as it can be green right over you but not making it to the ground. OR not even show up on radar and be raining. Teams have radar and have as much info as NASCAR And probably monitor the corner workers radios as well in those situation.

And it takes time for the corner observer to make decision it’s too wet, to call control, for control to put out the caution, and drivers to recognize and slow down. It‘s not an instant process. Bad break for leaders but it happens.
We are 6 laps into the freaking race. Throw the caution, and see what develops. There was no reason to be insistent on keeping that race green. I think that perhaps NASCAR was nervous about the late start, and all of those private jets fueled up and waiting for vacations. The decision at the end of the race was to throw the checkers before there was a problem, and that same decision making should have been applied with the rain. Period. That's what cautions are for....to be cautious....so that there isn't a problem.

I still have no idea what this chicken nugget business is about.
Like minded fans sitting around eating Nuggets thinking about the next shot to fire.....that kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom