Bonehead of the week: North Wilkesboro

Hailie Deegan for hitting everything but the pace car in the truck race.

The idiots who got in Bubba's radio and told him to "go back where he came from."

The "fans" who defend the idiots in question while deliberately taking the Bubba Wallace middle finger incident out of context to further push racist tropes.

Hailie Deegan for hitting everything but the pace car in the truck race.

The idiots who got in Bubba's radio and told him to "go back where he came from."

The "fans" who defend the idiots in question while deliberately taking the Bubba Wallace middle finger incident out of context to further push racist tropes.
Yep whoever this guy is the sport doesn't need people like them

Easily the fans who keep getting into the drivers’ scanners. Not cute.

1. FOX sports, all kinds of racing in the pack and they would not show anything but the front.
2. Ross's team for putting him on an unmatched set of tires! :mad: :lol2:

The crazy thing is I'm surprised its not done more, its very easy to program and I fear this might open pandoras box since it was Bubbas radio and it will get a lot of attention
I assume it is impossible to do any type of tracing to bust these type people. I hope I am wrong and that sooner or later they start making some arrest.

I assume it is impossible to do any type of tracing to bust these type people. I hope I am wrong and that sooner or later they start making some arrest.
Greg it would be damn near impossible, I know of no tracking device such as GPS on someone in the stands radio

Greg it would be damn near impossible, I know of no tracking device such as GPS on someone in the stands radio
What we can rule out is someone who rented a radio at the track because its just a scanner and cant transmit. It could be someone who is a racer and brought his radio to listen in and had the capability to program in Bubbas frequency. Now I'm not saying thats what happened and not blaming racers but not many people bring Racing Radios unless they use them some other time, most people bring scanners which are far less expensive.

What we can rule out is someone who rented a radio at the track because its just a scanner and cant transmit. It could be someone who is a racer and brought his radio to listen in and had the capability to program in Bubbas frequency. Now I'm not saying thats what happened and not blaming racers but not many people bring Racing Radios unless they use them some other time, most people bring scanners which are far less expensive.

I assume drivers use VHF or UHF frequencies? Judging by the roger tone whoever it is likely was on a store bought radio. I’m suprised with all the money dumped into nascar they don’t have encrypted channels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume drivers use VHF or UHF frequencies? Judging by the roger tone whoever it is likely was on a store bought radio. I’m suprised with all the money dumped into nascar they don’t have encrypted channels

I use to listen to Dale Jr's radio all race, every race. It was sometime after he moved to HMS, I heard a loud voice call Junior an a..hole over his channel. That was a very long time ago. I see now how that happens.

To theoretically talk to a cup team using RE radios would you also have to be on a true RE radio? I mean frequency is one thing, but is the encryption proprietary to RE alone? (I hope my question makes sense). Is there a RE key in the radio, or could I use any radio so long as I knew frequency? (Say if I had my own first responder radio or another racing style radio transmitter)

To theoretically talk to a cup team using RE radios would you also have to be on a true RE radio? I mean frequency is one thing, but is the encryption proprietary to RE alone? (I hope my question makes sense). Is there a RE key in the radio, or could I use any radio so long as I knew frequency? (Say if I had my own first responder radio or another racing style radio transmitter)
If you have the application and a programmable radio, the proper cables and a lap top you can program the radio frequency in. It doesnt have to be a RE radio, now granted I would just take my radio to the RE Trailer in the garage and watch him do it, I never did one myself. It was fairly quick and easy.

To be fair, its been a couple years since I've been up top so I'm going solely on my experience.

If you have the application and a programmable radio, the proper cables and a lap top you can program the radio frequency in. It doesnt have to be a RE radio, now granted I would just take my radio to the RE Trailer in the garage and watch him do it, I never did one myself. It was fairly quick and easy.
Also I would assume NASCAR went directly to the Radio programming trailer ( Motorola, RE) I'm not sure who they have in now and got the program sheets and any other pertinent info

Yep, same thing I would do with any of the headsets in the trailer. If we were having a problem with the radio on the car and he didn't find anything wrong with it, then he would come to the pit and check the wiring and antenna in the car.

Yep, same thing I would do with any of the headsets in the trailer. If we were having a problem with the radio on the car and he didn't find anything wrong with it, then he would come to the pit and check the wiring and antenna in the car.
That was part of my job. I installed the wiring harness and antenna along with steering wheel PTT switch and making sure all radios are fully charged.

That was part of my job. I installed the wiring harness and antenna along with steering wheel PTT switch and making sure all radios are fully charged.
I really admire how you guys make such lightning-fast decisions from the spotter area at all of the different tracks across the country. One mistake can cause a pretty serious crash. Heck, I lose track of cars sitting in my recliner.

I really admire how you guys make such lightning-fast decisions from the spotter area at all of the different tracks across the country. One mistake can cause a pretty serious crash. Heck, I lose track of cars sitting in my recliner.
lol. Its nerve racking brother. I had a friend who was a driver spot for a kid in a late model one night and after the race he said F this! I'll never do it again, I need a drink lol

Can program those radios they sell on Amazon wirelessly, they have Bluetooth adapters. Nobody would bat an eye if you pulled one out, connected to a Microsoft Surface (or cheap imitation) via Bluetooth and programmed right from your seat. The cheaper Surface computers are smaller than an iPad!

The only scanner I’ve ever seen with GPS built in is the RE Legend which is discontinued.

It would be borderline impossible to find out who did this through technology alone. You don’t have to be connected to the internet to program these things. And again, someone doing this with malicious intent wouldn’t look suspicious at all when their computer is the same size as an iPad.

I have all the stuff to do it because I had to program all the radios at a track that used those cheap radios instead of getting the proper radios from Racing Electronics. And even with all that, I’d rather just take my RE Legend to the races.

In fact, I’m getting ready to do a crackdown on those “Baofeng” radios at my track because of incidents the past two races. I hate to make the racers spend more money, but I can’t have them being able to talk on the Raceceiver or Race Control frequencies. It’s a safety risk.

Can program those radios they sell on Amazon wirelessly, they have Bluetooth adapters. Nobody would bat an eye if you pulled one out, connected to a Microsoft Surface (or cheap imitation) via Bluetooth and programmed right from your seat. The cheaper Surface computers are smaller than an iPad!
Whole thing is a ****tt show. Anyone know if the rented scanners show the frequency of the car? Also are all cars available? Just trying to figure out if this could go private and it would be an option for teams to participate

I use to listen to Dale Jr's radio all race, every race. It was sometime after he moved to HMS, I heard a loud voice call Junior an a..hole over his channel. That was a very long time ago. I see now how that happens.
That was Rick ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pat

Unless Radio Shack exists in North Wilkesboro you can rule out a store bought radio too.

But I have seen people selling two-way radios outside of the tracks before.

Whole thing is a ****tt show. Anyone know if the rented scanners show the frequency of the car? Also are all cars available? Just trying to figure out if this could go private and it would be an option for teams to participate
It shows the frequency, but not PL codes.

You still have to know what you’re doing to be able to pull it off. But the hardware and software is easy to get.

In fact, I would bet good money they have Android apps that can program these radios for you now. Hell, they probably make two way radios that run off Android.

The biggest problem is that these radios are super cheap.

I own my scanners instead of rent, but they're the standard RE 3000s and yes they show frequency numbers under driver name and car number. Out to maybe 3 or 4 decimal points? I can't remember off hand.

Reactions: Pat
It shows the frequency, but not PL codes.

You still have to know what you’re doing to be able to pull it off. But the hardware and software is easy to get.

In fact, I would bet good money they have Android apps that can program these radios for you now. Hell, they probably make two way radios that run off Android.

The biggest problem is that these radios are super cheap.
Is a PL code a sort of PIN that in theory only the involved team members should know?

Are these frequency's public or private? Is it technically illegal to broadcast on them during a race?

Is a PL code a sort of PIN that in theory only the involved team members should know?
Theoretically yes.

However, if someone is handy with a scanner, they can pick up on said codes and be able to either be on that channel or possibly bleed over into the driver's channel.

That's one way of putting it.

Are these frequency's public or private? Is it technically illegal to broadcast on them during a race?
The radios in question are technically illegal to use without an FCC license. But these laws aren't enforced at all.

I remember Alan Gustafson reading a sort of disclaimer script ("this broadcast is property of blah blah blah to be used for entertainment only....") before each race I went to years ago, but they don't do anything of the sort now. Am I going crazy to remember this? Did something change?

Back
Top Bottom