Bonehead of the Week: Talladega

Kinda hard to have CBS or Fox in the latter half. You're only options are NBC or ABC/ESPN during football season unless Turner Sports pay a bunch.

ABC's going to bid for Sunday NFL games. I'd expect whichever network loses NFL to make a move for NASCAR rights.

Personally, I'd be fine with ESPN/ABC returning or even TNT returning. Fox and NBC are both terrible for different reasons.

ABC's going to bid for Sunday NFL games. I'd expect whichever network loses NFL to make a move for NASCAR rights.

Personally, I'd be fine with ESPN/ABC returning or even TNT returning. Fox and NBC are both terrible for different reasons.

The issue is Fox and NBC are basically polar opposites. Fox is always trying to push the envelope with things while NBC has traditionally been very conservative with their sports coverage relative to the other networks dating back to the Dick Ebersol days.

Unfortunately, I think a return to ESPN would involve a lot of ESPN+ coverage.
By then it probably won't even matter. I think satellite TV and cable will become mostly irrelevant, so streaming services like YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, and channel-specific services like ESPN+ and Peacock (NBC) will be the norm. I'll stand by my prediction made a couple years ago that NASCAR will be streamed on Netflix by 2025

Unfortunately, I think a return to ESPN would involve a lot of ESPN+ coverage.

ESPN likes to micromanage and force their influence on sports through their own media. They were the reason for the jaques debris cautions. They basically tried to make sure all their races had an "exciting ending" and transitioned perfectly to their Sunday night 6 PM SportsCenter.

I still wish the tracks had more flexibility when it came to TV coverage ala MLB baseball. The biggest difference obviously being NASCAR/the tracks would still need a national broadcast rather than regional like in baseball. Granted, Fox and NBC have basically monopolized local MLB tv rights too....

Even though NBC switched channels and I didn't see the finish I still got to see the finish of a football game so no real harm done. I will still be watching the the race on NBC next week and the week after that.

Upon further consideration, I will also nominate NASCAR for the bonehead award.

Although Hamlin was forced below the yellow line, he advanced his position. You're supposed to give it back if that happens.

Aerial footage shows that Chase Elliott voluntarily chose to drive below the yellow line, so he should've remained penalized.

Yeah, but years be ago people were not DVR'ing races. Now they are. Is NBC going to renew there contract? Does not seem like a priority for them.
I think Fox and NBC have done all they can to sell their cable only channels. Cable is soon to be a thing of the past so to invest more would be ridiculous. They may bid the next contract but at a much reduced garage sale price.

Are they going to bid to have them on cable Only channels???

I think Fox and NBC have done all they can to sell their cable only channels. Cable is soon to be a thing of the past so to invest more would be ridiculous. They may bid the next contract but at a much reduced garage sale price.

thats exact what my situation became...

For the longest time the issue was this area I’m located, didn’t offer FS1 or NBCS... while that was the storyline for so long... other options for consuming television have arrived that alot of us probably use... one of the many streaming services is the option that worked best for my family...

so FOX and NBC are definitely now behind the times trying to ‘force someone into cable’... They need to adjust... like yesterday.

Upon further consideration, I will also nominate NASCAR for the bonehead award.

Although Hamlin was forced below the yellow line, he advanced his position. You're supposed to give it back if that happens.

Aerial footage shows that Chase Elliott voluntarily chose to drive below the yellow line, so he should've remained penalized.

Money and popularity talk

The day after... I’m the bonehead for allowing NBC to take that much time only to do what they’ve done 2 other times this season and pull the rug out.

I clearly didn’t learn anything the first two times. They didn’t do anything they already haven’t done in the last few months.

This is on me if I’m disappointed

thats exact what my situation became...

For the longest time the issue was this area I’m located, didn’t offer FS1 or NBCS... while that was the storyline for so long... other options for consuming television have arrived that alot of us probably use... one of the many streaming services is the option that worked best for my family...

so FOX and NBC are definitely now behind the times trying to ‘force someone into cable’... They need to adjust... like yesterday.

The question I have is how many streaming services are you going to have to subscribe to to get the content you want, and at what cost? Just like everything else, there will soon come a time when providers are not going to offer up all of that programming at little or no cost. My experience has also shown that in order to get reliable streaming, I need something better than the standard fiber optic internet service I have, so there is MORE cost.

The question I have is how many streaming services are you going to have to subscribe to to get the content you want, and at what cost? Just like everything else, there will soon come a time when providers are not going to offer up all of that programming at little or no cost. My experience has also shown that in order to get reliable streaming, I need something better than the standard fiber optic internet service I have, so there is MORE cost.

thats the issue with everything out there, is you still have to choose things knowing you’re leaving something out... no matter what decision.

I needed to go with something that was more favorable for what the kids(family) consume... so the live sports/live shows has been left out in my deal... I let ball games go awhile back anyway, NO DESIRE to watch them at all today. NONE

Im honestly ok still missing half the nascar season... I’m still excited to try and get tickets to tracks I can drive to... but when it comes to the 14-18 events that are scheduled to be broadcasted on the flagship stations i guess i still expected a full effort on those... Thats my error, that isn’t going to happen anymore.

Honestly I’ll pull up the old races and stream them onto tv or whatever and I enjoy that as much if not more sometimes anyhow.

I’ll still always want to go to the race track, as the experience is far and away the best. I just find myself embracing the sports past so much... and I TRY to adapt, I try evolve with the changes, but man little stiff like this... Im one of the many still hanging on... so many fans have left and i get why... but I’m still trying HAHA

NASCAR needs to put a mark on the yellow line on the back stretch
on last lap past that mark there is no yellow line rule

NASCAR needs to put a mark on the yellow line on the back stretch
on last lap past that mark there is no yellow line rule
good idea. I would like to see a rocket launched though...sponsored by capital one

NASCAR for having this joke of a race be a playoff race.

NASCAR again for having 2 of 3 weekend races decided by the judges.

NBC for treating it like an infomercial.

Matty D for his Battle Of Midway-quality dive bomb.

Me for watching the Rams game and thinking my DVR would prevent me from missing any good action.

Back
Top Bottom