Bonehead of the Week: Talladega

Quin Houff for not using rocket fuel on the final restart to prevent the **** show from happening

NASCAR doesn't care, because they know most of us will be back next weekend with our faces glued to the tv watching the race.
Unfortunately for them, this and the 500 are the only races I watch live. They're just wasting ad revenue on me

NBC

I’m majorly disappointed by this. I was already done with them after these types of actions earlier this year, now it’s unreal.

I don’t care how good they were in 2001-2006 or whatever... they absolutely reek today. I mean reek. They’ve always been playing second fiddle to FOX anyhow, even when they were once good at covering NASCAR. I honestly hope they’re not apart of future TV deals when the current deals are up... they clearly don’t care, and at this point they’re doing it on purpose....

change my mind!

NASCAR and NBC but they just don't care. I'm a bonehead because I keep watching expecting they will care someday.

Definitely NBC. I didn't check ahead to see that the recording was on NBC instead of TSN
so maybe I am the bonehead this week.
I still say the #21 won the race.

NBC

I’m majorly disappointed by this. I was already done with them after these types of actions earlier this year, now it’s unreal.

I don’t care how good they were in 2001-2006 or whatever... they absolutely reek today. I mean reek. They’ve always been playing second fiddle to FOX anyhow, even when they were once good at covering NASCAR. I honestly hope they’re not apart of future TV deals when the current deals are up... they clearly don’t care, and at this point they’re doing it on purpose....

change my mind!

I'd like to see CBS make a run at NASCAR.

All of NBC's faults aside, they aren't as obsessed with on board cameras as Fox.

NBC. Their commentators suck, their play by play announcer is a boob, and it’s unreal they shift the end of the race to another channel in their oh so important playoff race. I would ask our friends at NBC this.... If the playoffs are so important how come you couldn’t show the end of a playoff race in network tv? It’s a farce all of it. I couldn’t imagine them shifting the end of a Sunday NFL playoff game on NBC to NBCSN, so how come NASCAR got that treatment?

Last edited:
It would depend on who they would get as their on air talent as well as how it’s produced. I’m so over the WWE style storylines that are pushed, playoff points, playoff implications, all of it. At this point I so favor Fox coverage over this weekly crap.

NBC. Their commentators suck, their play by play announcer is a boob, and it’s unreal they shift the end of the race to another channel in their oh so important playoff race. I would our friends at NBC this.... If the playoffs are so important how come you couldn’t show the end of a playoff race in network tv? It’s a farce all of it. I couldn’t imagine them shifting the end of a Sunday NFL playoff game on NBC to NBCSN, so how come NASCAR got that treatment?

I'm sure there have been previous NHL games that have gone to double or triple OT without getting booted. Them doing what they did with NASCAR makes zero sense. This sport has got to get rid of NBC.

It would depend on who they would get as their on air talent as well as how it’s produced. I’m so over the WWE style storylines that are pushed, playoff points, playoff implications, all of it. At this point I so favor Fox coverage over this weekly crap.

Fox is worse IMO. Can't stand the in car obsession and Jeff Gordon, and when they put Bowyer in the booth, I'll pull my hair out until I'm as bald as Vin Diesel.

NBC. Their commentators suck, their play by play announcer is a boob, and it’s unreal they shift the end of the race to another channel in their oh so important playoff race. I would our friends at NBC this.... If the playoffs are so important how come you couldn’t show the end of a playoff race in network tv? It’s a farce all of it. I couldn’t imagine them shifting the end of a Sunday NFL playoff game on NBC to NBCSN, so how come NASCAR got that treatment?
They only bid the contract for Nascar racing so they could sign suckers up for their NBCSN channel. Does Nascar have so little faith in their product that they would sell the show to a Cable Channel only??

I would like to see them get another try at the sport.

there’s no excuse with NBC right now... whatever their problem is they need to just deal with it without dumping on NASCAR. There’s been 3 instances where they’ve crapped on a race broadcast this year, and keep in mind they only do the second half... they’re averaging a bonehead move like this almost once a month at the moment.

All of NBC's faults aside, they aren't as obsessed with on board cameras as Fox.

Problem is CBS has so much invested into football.

CBS (maybe with Turner Sports or CBSSN?) early in the year & ABC/ESPN again would be fine with me.

ESPN was actually getting good when they had Bestwick, Jarrett, Petree. Lowkey pretty good booth in their final years.

Problem is CBS has so much invested into football.

CBS (maybe with Turner Sports or CBSSN?) early in the year & ABC/ESPN again would be fine with me.

ESPN was actually getting good when they had Bestwick, Jarrett, Petree. Lowkey pretty good booth in their final years.
Not ESPN...they were no better than NBC at their worst. TNT was always my favorite aside from the extra commercial breaks

NBC! I recorded the race to watch it after the early NFL games. I get down to the end of the race as I was fast forwarding through the commercials during the red flag with 2 to go. Then I see my local news on there and it never went off, realizing they moved the race to NBCSN. There was no reason to switch the race away just to show local news and their crappy nightly news. We know why they wanted that on. The race was over by then, so I had to get on the app to see who won. Ridiculous!

NASCAR doesn't care, because they know most of us will be back next weekend with our faces glued to the tv watching the race.
Plus they know that most first timers will probably be back also...a win win for them. First timers don't give a rats as-s about the passing under the line. All they saw was a lot of exciting crazy action. :)

Not ESPN...they were no better than NBC at their worst. TNT was always my favorite aside from the extra commercial breaks

Kinda hard to have CBS or Fox in the latter half. You're only options are NBC or ABC/ESPN during football season unless Turner Sports pay a bunch.

The drivers. If they could figure out how to race without wrecking everything else is irrelevant imo...

NBC handles golf and NASCAR the same exact way. If either sport goes past much past the 6 PM ET frame and it's not a major event it gets bumped to a NBC secondary channel. CBS does this too. Watched many Sunday tournaments covered by CBS that end up on the NBC owned golf channel. Listening to CBS lifer Jim Nantz with a NBC logo plastered on the screen is always weird. Been going on for years....

Last edited:
The drivers. If they could figure out how to race without wrecking everything else is irrelevant imo...

NBC handles golf and NASCAR the same exact way. If either sport goes past much past the 6 PM ET frame and it's not a major event it gets bumped to a NBC secondary channel. Been going on for years....
Unironically, the people into golf also tend to be into racing (any form) and vice versa.

NBC handles golf and NASCAR the same exact way. If either sport goes past much past the 6 PM ET frame and it's not a major event it gets bumped to a NBC secondary channel. Been going on for years....

Yeah, but years be ago people were not DVR'ing races. Now they are. Is NBC going to renew there contract? Does not seem like a priority for them.

My dad is working today, and recorded the race (I assume with extra time, as he knows that races go over sometimes).

I've already warned him via text that he's not going to be able to watch the end of the race because NBC switched channels.

I don't get NBCSN at my house. Thankfully, I know of an internet stream for NBCSN races, but I wasn't happy about having to pull it up after watching the race through traditional means. And, I know that many people don't know about the stream or how to access it.

The funny thing is, my dad does get NBCSN, but how was he supposed to know the race would switch to that channel?

So, my bonehead nomination goes to NBC.

NASCAR

If you missed it, they rescinded the penalty on the #9 but have yet to do anything about the #11.

Yeah, but years be ago people were not DVR'ing races. Now they are. Is NBC going to renew there contract? Does not seem like a priority for them.

Taping a race using VHS tapes is/was similar to DVR'ing. Variables in weather, event length, "network news interruptions" could cost you the end, if not more, of the race.

I think NASCAR is a priority for NBC but network news and the NFL will always carry significant weight. I've seen this happen in other sports so it's just the reality with networks that have secondary channels now. NBC did this with a Notre Dame football game fairly recently. There was a lengthy weather delay which caused NBC to put the last portion of the game on NBCSports Network.

I'll say it over and over again. Nothing changed NASCAR more than the 2001 TV contract. When they signed the contract that opened a nuclear level can of worms. They basically sold their souls to the devil. For my movie fans NASCAR is/was the Bamboo Lounge and the TV networks are the "Goodfellas"....

Back
Top Bottom