Bonehead of the Week: Talladega

If you think a packed house lessens the danger you might want to stay out of safety discussions.
You would be better served on the dirt racing side with your safety crusade. They have lost at least 2 drivers so far this year. They have a safety problem.

They'd still be running flat out around Daytona and Talladega if they had 800 hp, there would still be a pack. (And probably a few cars in the stands every race.)
A pretty good example of that is the Atlanta race, they race there without restrictions and they are in a pack for the most part.

You would be better served on the dirt racing side with your safety crusade. They have lost at least 2 drivers so far this year. They have a safety problem.
Not following you. What does this have to do with super speedway racing?

They'd still be running flat out around Daytona and Talladega if they had 800 hp, there would still be a pack. (And probably a few cars in the stands every race.)
They've put engines in the stands before. That's why we can't afford to have so many "big ones."

I'm not necessarilly for more power. Faster and safety, everything else being equal, don't really compliment each other.

I think less downforce and grip would slow it down a little ands space them out some. Both would give the drivers a better chance of avoiding getting caught up in a big one.

It's also running around wide open nose to tail that causes these big one. Give them less grip and make them back off the throttle. That automatically will space them out a bit.

And so there's no mistaking that I don't like super speedway racing, you might want to check my Indycar posts where I call for more of them.

And if you think pack racing and huge piles ups are ok, you might want to stay out of those.
I suggested your safety concerns might be better served there with two loses already this year. When has Nascar had a fatality on ANY track, much less a serious career ending injury?

I suggested your safety concerns might be better served there with two loses already this year. When has Nascar had a fatality on ANY track, much less a serious career ending injury?
I might be going out on a limb here, didn't Dale Sr. have both at his last race?
Adam Petty.,Dead at Loudon.
Kurt Busch, career ending...
Anyone else....??

I might be going out on a limb here, didn't Dale Sr. have both at his last race?
Adam Petty.,Dead at Loudon.
Kurt Busch, career ending...
Anyone else....??
When., how long. 21 years for Sr., Adam 22 years ago, Kurt Busch is still saying he is going to return. My point was it's been a really long time in a really dangerous occupation. Nascar by far is the safest major series to race in. They never quit trying to make it safer. Freak accidents can happen though, nothing is perfect.

Don't follow it. Don't know anything about it. Don't care.
They have a safety problem, Nascar doesn't at present. Both cars involved are back at the R&D center getting looked at. More changes will come if needed. Nascar has been doing that for years. On to Dover.

you mite want to check with kurt and dale jr

Serious injuries are incredibly more common in any stick and ball sport than they are in nascar. When it comes to professional sports leagues, nascar is about the safest there is. Is there a chance of getting hurt? Of course there is. But these guys know that going in and are compensated quite nicely for it. I'd feel much safer driving round Talladega at 200 mph than I would with a 300# linebacker trying to pummel me into the ground.

Serious injuries are incredibly more common in any stick and ball sport than they are in nascar. When it comes to professional sports leagues, nascar is about the safest there is. Is there a chance of getting hurt? Of course there is. But these guys know that going in and are compensated quite nicely for it. I'd feel much safer driving round Talladega at 200 mph than I would with a 300# linebacker trying to pummel me into the ground.
Kinda ironic that the worst injuries this year to drivers have been a snowboarding accident and a fractured finger from racing a dirt car.

I think less downforce and grip would slow it down a little ands space them out some. Both would give the drivers a better chance of avoiding getting caught up in a big one.

It's also running around wide open nose to tail that causes these big one. Give them less grip and make them back off the throttle. That automatically will space them out a bit.
It's not really possible to take so much downforce off these cars to make them have to lift on a 2.66 mile track with a 33 degree banking.
At Atlanta Xfinity cars and Trucks had way less grip than cup cars, yet they were still in a pack and there was a stupid amount of carshes due to the ill handling of the cars.

NASCAR has had some sort of concussion testing since 2014 and as far as I remember Jr. in 2016 was the only one who was formally diagnosed and missed races with the Gen 6. In conjunction with the driver complaints about feeling impacts more and having headaches linger longer I don’t think it’s crazy to say the Next Gen was initially less safe than the Gen 6. Fortunately the rear clip update seems to have worked so far as those complaints have subsided this season, as far as I know.

It's not really possible to take so much downforce off these cars to make them have to lift on a 2.66 mile track with a 33 degree banking.
At Atlanta Xfinity cars and Trucks had way less grip than cup cars, yet they were still in a pack and there was a stupid amount of carshes due to the ill handling of the cars.
I think it’s important to remember Daytona and Talladega used to be much more of handling tracks than they are now post-repaves. With modern repaving technology you don’t get the bumps and degradation those places used to have. It’s generally easier to handle and drive in a tighter pack these days.

NASCAR has only used tapered spacers at those tracks for a few years, a lot of years featured Cup cars running 410-450 HP with the plates. I have no idea if it’s possible to test a package with plates and lower downforce again to see how it feels, these cars are naturally pretty draggy and may not take a big HP reduction well. But it could be a way to break the pack up a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom