Bowman Gray Stadium

The only time that track sees excitement! :p

Seriously, they need to put another racing groove in that track.

Somebody is gonna get killed at that place if they don't crack down on things.

Yea, but then fans won't turn out. They're not turning out for the races, I can tell you that much right now. They're turning out to see a fight.

That track attracts a certain kind of racer and a certain kind of fan. They seem to enjoy it in a Jerry Springer kind of way.

That track attracts a certain kind of racer and a certain kind of fan. They seem to enjoy it in a Jerry Springer kind of way.

It's the WWE of NASCAR. I've never heard anyone say the racing there is good. It's all about the fights and the crashing. I guess that's what you've got to sell when you race on a track designed for foot races.

It's the WWE of NASCAR. I've never heard anyone say the racing there is good. It's all about the fights and the crashing. I guess that's what you've got to sell when you race on a track designed for foot races.

How silly of you to write such trash. Of course there has been plenty of good racing there. It's people like you who continue to put incidents like this at the forefront. Yes, things like this happen from time to time but Bowman Gray Stadium isn't the only track where this type of action happens. But since there is racing each and every week, twice each week for the top two classes, it makes for emotions to run higher. As for the crashing, that can be said about any short track and let's not forget those Super Speedways. But of course you, Andy, are entitled to your opinion which is worth what it costs to read it.

Kitty has claws. RAWR!

People who want to watch racing go to Hickory. Other tracks have bull**** and drama as well - and other tracks usually deal with it. Bowman Gray encourages it because there's a different type of fan that goes there.

People who go to Bowman Gray don't go anywhere else and people who go elsewhere don't go to Bowman Gray. Their stands will be packed every week for eternity but I call a spade a spade, it's the WWE of racing. And their fans on the Bowman Gray fan pages prove it. They don't think any other track has good racing because Bowman Gray is a different type of "racing" and they think the drivers at Bowman Gray are the best in the world.

Drivers like Lee Pulliam avoid that place like the plague for a reason.

I gotta agree with Andy, I've been to Bowman Gray and honestly, I found the racing to be boring. Let's be honest for one minute and admit that the 1/4 mile flat track only has one racing groove and the only kind of racing that's going to produce is a follow the leader style of racing.

The only way you can pass in Bowman if you push another driver out of the way or someone ahead of you wrecks. Ultimately, that's why fans turn out week after week. The location of the track doesn't hurt either. It's smack dab in the middle of Winston Salem, NC. Whereas other tracks like Caraway are out in the middle of nowhere due to NIMBYs.

If people want to see wreckers, checkers and bangers, then more power to them. However I think it's time they start being honest as to why they go to Bowman, because it's sure as Hel not for the race. It's to see wrecking and fighting.

In contrast, the Hornets, U-CAR, Mini-Stock and Legends at Caraway always managed to put on a good show without wrecking and without fighting. When I went to Caraway with my brother and father last weekend, the U-CAR class put on a Hel of a show by having drivers fighting for position but also racing cleanly. They even had three wide in the middle of the pack, it was very fun to watch.

Kitty has claws. RAWR!

People who want to watch racing go to Hickory. Other tracks have bull**** and drama as well - and other tracks usually deal with it. Bowman Gray encourages it because there's a different type of fan that goes there.

People who go to Bowman Gray don't go anywhere else and people who go elsewhere don't go to Bowman Gray. Their stands will be packed every week for eternity but I call a spade a spade, it's the WWE of racing. And their fans on the Bowman Gray fan pages prove it. They don't think any other track has good racing because Bowman Gray is a different type of "racing" and they think the drivers at Bowman Gray are the best in the world.

Drivers like Lee Pulliam avoid that place like the plague for a reason.

What a crock Andy. You know what you said about fans of the Bowman Gray fan page don't think any other track has good racing is pure negative BS, like what you ALWAYS write, whether its about racing or politics. I guess you don't remember what Corey Latham writes, even though you parrot it on FB. In fact, most of those who post on that page are as negative as you about certain drivers. One of the main reasons people go to BGS is because of the cost. Ten bucks and free parking is hard to beat. Caraway, Ace and other tracks within driving distance is twice as much, not counting the cost of fuel. BTW, since you think that the Hackett's are such great promoters, and since you are such a great journalist, why not talk to a few of the modified drivers what they think? I won't even go into that.

Speedy, I wonder why you don't head out to Caraway every week? I see that you like their action better. I'm not going to sit here and say that the modified racing at BGS is all that exciting, but it got a whole lot better when they added the double file restarts. It's a totally different style of racing just like Martinsville is different than Charlotte than Daytona. The shorter the track, the more emotion, thus action.

Speedy, I wonder why you don't head out to Caraway every week? I see that you like their action better. I'm not going to sit here and say that the modified racing at BGS is all that exciting, but it got a whole lot better when they added the double file restarts. It's a totally different style of racing just like Martinsville is different than Charlotte than Daytona. The shorter the track, the more emotion, thus action.

Because I don't really like to go out that often. I work six days a week, and on most night I like to just hang out at home, watch some TV, movies, or play video games. I go to Caraway once or twice a month to see some home down honest to the gods racing without the sponsorship and the politics. Where men work on their cars all week to battle it out on Saturday night for that checker flag.

That's why I love the Hornet, U-CAR, Mini-Stock and Legends class. They're not trying to get to a higher rung in the auto-racing world. They're racing because they want to race, it's a passion that drives them. It doesn't matter if it's in a Volkswagon Rabbit or a Gen6 Sprint Cup Car.

What a crock Andy. You know what you said about fans of the Bowman Gray fan page don't think any other track has good racing is pure negative BS, like what you ALWAYS write, whether its about racing or politics. I guess you don't remember what Corey Latham writes, even though you parrot it on FB. In fact, most of those who post on that page are as negative as you about certain drivers. One of the main reasons people go to BGS is because of the cost. Ten bucks and free parking is hard to beat. Caraway, Ace and other tracks within driving distance is twice as much, not counting the cost of fuel. BTW, since you think that the Hackett's are such great promoters, and since you are such a great journalist, why not talk to a few of the modified drivers what they think? I won't even go into that.

Other tracks are twice as much? That's a bull**** lie. $10 and free parking is pretty much in line with every short track. It's not like it's better than any other track, like you say it is. Hickory is $10. Kingsport is $10. Motor Mile is $10. South Boston is $10. Caraway is $10. Franklin County is $10. All are free parking. Only track that's more than $10 is Ace (which is $12, still not "twice as much" as Bowman Gray).

Caraway never charged me to park, and when I do go, it's $10 a ticket.

But.... buckaroo said..... LOL...

There are a lot of drivers who don't like the Hacketts ... that part is true. About the only factually correct part of buck's rant. But I won't go down that road.

When I first moved to W-S in the 1980s I was excited to go to Bowman-Gray because of its history. But after a few weeks of watching their program I was disappointed. It was impossible to pass without wrecking somebody and usually was just train races. I wasn't impressed and apparently neither were the fans - the place was almost empty.

Got to hand it to the promoters, somehow they've gotten the place packed. The racing is still the same but the new fans love it. But the comments are true that most of the loyal fans are there to see wrecks and fights. There are louder cheers for wrecks and fights than there is for racing moves. Almost any winner hears more boos than cheers. There are fights and cursing in the stands - you don't want to take your kids and sit anywhere along the front stretch. Most fans of clean racing get disgusted and don't come back. I go back about once every three years to see if things have changed, but they don't. Instead I travel half an hour or more to other tracks even though Bowman-Gray is only about ten minutes away.

When I first moved to W-S in the 1980s I was excited to go to Bowman-Gray because of its history. But after a few weeks of watching their program I was disappointed. It was impossible to pass without wrecking somebody and usually was just train races. I wasn't impressed and apparently neither were the fans - the place was almost empty.

Got to hand it to the promoters, somehow they've gotten the place packed. The racing is still the same but the new fans love it. But the comments are true that most of the loyal fans are there to see wrecks and fights. There are louder cheers for wrecks and fights than there is for racing moves. Almost any winner hears more boos than cheers. There are fights and cursing in the stands - you don't want to take your kids and sit anywhere along the front stretch. Most fans of clean racing get disgusted and don't come back. I go back about once every three years to see if things have changed, but they don't. Instead I travel half an hour or more to other tracks even though Bowman-Gray is only about ten minutes away.

Every once in awhile on the iRacing forums, we'd have some Bowman Gray fan who wants the iRacing people to put the track into the simulator. Which would be a very bad idea overall because wrecks cost you iRating and Safety Ratings, and I can tell you already that the races would be a wreck-fest. However, if they do scan in Bowman Gray, maybe it'd get the wreckers and checkers out of the other races so we can have cleaner races and our iRatings and SR (Safety Ratings) won't suffer.

Back
Top Bottom