Boycott?

G

Gordon Fan

I see a boycott in the future of this sport. Too much money invested to be run by a complete dictatorship who can change rules and apply them to whoever, whenever they want.

If most of the teams retracted their entries at just one track and said we aren't gonna race until we get a few things straightened out, I believe it would work.

Now, getting most of them to do it is a tall order for sure, but trust me, it is coming.

Can you imagine what Nascar would do, if in late January a lot of the teams pulled their entries for Daytona? It would get their attention. This is not a Union, just Solidarity...big difference.

Nascar needs to be more in touch with what the teams, fans and sponsors have to say than they do right now.

Your thoughts welcomed.

Okay, few reasons why a boycott just isn't going to work out:

a.) The amount of money invested in this sport. Teams are going to find it hard to boycott when their sponsors are paying them the big bucks. Sponsors don't care about what's going on with NASCAR. They want their team to do well, their investment to pay for itself and then some. By sitting out races, I guarantee you there will still be teams that go to the track, and would you want to risk your sponsor moving over to their team?

b.) The shear size of this sport. Do you see the number of fans in those stands? Have you seen the ratings going up? A couple of fans not watching a race or a couple teams deciding not to show up for the race isn't going to stop NASCAR.

As long as the money keeps coming in and the sport continues to grow, something like a boycott is just not going to work.

If a team doesn't like what is going on, the best thing they can do it talk to a couple other teams and try to talk to NASCAR. As a fan you can try to make yourself heard, but that's about the best you can do. Unless you can get the 75,000 fans in the crowd to back you up at each and every track.

If these teams want something done there gonna have to do it themselves, minus the boycott. It just cant happen. As Rpmallan said Sponsors would not go for this, there paying $$$ for their name on a car, and it is REQUIRED to show up weekly no matter what. I do think that Nascar has way to much power, which allows them to control every aspect of this sport. Some of that power must be shifted to the drivers and teams. Now if you want a boycott be looking towards Baseball not Nascar.

Just what we need another major sport shutting down. Its bad enough that the spoiled baseball players are planning to walk on Sept 16. Lets hope our Nascar drivers have more class than that. I know things are messed up right now but no racing on Sundays i for one hope not.

I think this was almost tried once before. Cale or somebody talked about it. (Oh HardScrabble...) Simply put, it'll never happen, and it wouldn't work either. Too much dinero involved. But hey, at least it keeps us from bitching about the drivers.

It's been quite a while since any serious attempts at boycotts of NASCAR events.

In 1965 when NASCAR banned the 426 Hemi engine from Grand National competition, Chrysler withdrew all factory teams and support from the series. Ford took advantage of the situation and won 49 of the 55 events on the schedule. Richard Petty spent the better part of the season drag racing. Richard and few teams did return near seasons end, without factory support and Petty managed 4 wins and David Pearson in a Dodge captured 2.

In 1966 NASCAR decided the new Ford "production" engine, the awesome SOHC cammer, would not be allowed to run. Ford said they would sit this one out. Ford relented near seasons end as several non-ractory Ford teams had been persuaded to run and were also sowing some success. Enough so that Ford was able to capture the manufacturers title for 1966 despite the boycott.

The most notable driver attempted boycott was in 1969. the drivers had forme the Professional Drivers Association in August of 1969 and elected Richard Petty as their president. The proclaimed purpose of the PDA was to improve track conditions for drivers and families, increase the purses for the events and obtain adequate insruance coverages for the participants. In Sepetember of that year Talledega's inaugural race was scheduled. In the weeks leading up to scheduled event drivers whoe were testing tires for both Goodyear and Firestone were alarming rates of failure. Drivers involved in the tests also reported that the track was far too rough for these speeds and needed to be repaved. Both tire suppliers designed and provided new tires, but testing still indicated the tires would never hold up to the speeds at the new track.

The teams showed up aat the track on Tuesday to begin preparations for the Sunday event. Practice was marred by further tire failures and many drivers were still complaing about the roughness of the surface. Richard met with Bill France and pretty much stated that unless corrections were forthcoming the PDA would not run the event. France did not relent on his postion and another meeting with more drivers in attendence simply led to another shouting match. On Wednesday the first day qualifying was scheduled and only 9 cars evena ttempted to make the field. Thursday qualifying session saw only another 4 cars make qualifying runs.

Both Firestone and Goodyear brought yet another tire to the track. After 4 lap tests of the improved tires, serious blistering was already present. The PDA said we won't race.

Things pretty much came to a head on Saturday night before the race. France had earlier stated that pretty much anyone who could get a car to the rack could race. As darkness fell an announcement was made over the PA that any drivers not planning ot compete, should pack their trucks and leave the property to make room for thsoe that would race. After a few moments a big rig fired it's engine and headed for the gates, the rig belonged to King Richard. In short order the line of exiting vehicles grew long and virtually every name driver in the series departed. Of the top drivers only Bobby Isaac remained.

The race was run the next day and won by one Richard Brickhouse. The PDA was never a significant factor in the following years.

There has been rare talk of boycotts since that time and never a serious threat for one to actually occur. At one time I do recall Cale calling for changes when the speeds at Daytona and Talledega had reached the stage where cars were literally lifting off the ground. No united front ever presented itself at that time that I recall. The last time I recall the subject was just last year. Some drivers concerned over safety at the restrictor plate races openly spoke of not entering these events. It was reported by someof thesse drivers that their sponsors had agreed that if the driver and team felt the danger of significant proportions taht they would support the withdrawal. Among those drivers whose names were at forefornt of this I most remember those of Dale Jarrett, Jeff Burton and Bobby Labonte though others were mentioned regularly. There were no withdrawals and NASCAR continues to run the plates, though with tinkering to aero, shock and spring packages. Many participants, scribes and fans fear the Plate races, but NASCAR rarely relents to these pressures. I doubt they would now.

I can't believe it! The sanctioning body making (and enforcing) rules... What is the world coming to?

Boycott? --- Ain't gonna happen.

If they drivers boycott anything it should be restrictor plates and New Hampshier. Thats it.

Drivers have complained for years about Talladega, and there had been much talk about boycotts. There was even talk that Bobby Labonte was going to skip Talladega last year and his sponsor would support it. But had he not, he'd just be one less car on the track, and he knew that tracks like Talladega are a part of the career he's chosen. Nascar does make efforts to make the cars safer, but boycotting the races isn't the solution.

Well that's the thing rpmallen......

Somebody else will just step up. The money and prestige that Winston Cup offers will probably almost always assure that there are going to be races held.

Back
Top Bottom