Brian Vickers undergoes heart surgery; will miss beginning of 2015 season

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Dude can't catch much of a break. I hate it for him.

NASCAR driver Brian Vickers underwent surgery to repair a hole in his heart and will miss the start of the 2015 season.

Vickers said in a Monday statement he underwent the procedure on Saturday. He described it as "corrective surgery" after tests discovered his body was rejecting an artificial patch inserted in 2010 to originally fix the hole.

It's the third major health issue to sideline Vickers since 2010.

He missed the final five races of the 2013 season because he was placed on blood thinners to treat a blood clot in his right calf. He also missed 25 races during the 2010 season when clots were discovered in his legs and lungs.

It was during his 2010 absence that the hole in his heart was discovered.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/nascar-driver-vickers-undergoes-heart-surgery-27617288

That really sucks. He's had a lot of health issues these past few years. I hope everything turns out well for him and he doesn't have to miss too many races.

I hate seeing this so much, can't catch a break, didn't like him for a couple of years after Talladega 06, but he probably right now is my favorite Toyota driver, and I saw him win at New Hampshire which was cool.
Get Well Soon, Brian !!!

The hard partying has really effected him. I guess he never knew he had a fragile body to begin with.

The hard partying has really effected him. I guess he never knew he had a fragile body to begin with.
Partying has nothing to do with a hole in the heart, or the tendency to get blood clots. That's all genetics.
I'm just glad that it's been diagnosed and will be repaired.

Anybody got Elliot Sadler's #? He's with a Toyota team so it shouldn't be a problem this time...oh wait, never mind.

Get well Brian, hope to see you back out there soon!

Dang that blows but Vickers has overcome this stuff before. Hope everything goes good.

I have to be honest if I was MWR and vickers contract was up at the end of the year I would not renew it over these issues he has had. Maybe chase elliott lands here eventually, wonder who they are going to put in the car while he is out??

I have to be honest if I was MWR and vickers contract was up at the end of the year I would not renew it over these issues he has had. Maybe chase elliott lands here eventually, wonder who they are going to put in the car while he is out??
I agree but no team wants to be the one to dump a sick driver. Not exactly good PR.

In all honesty, I wonder if BV is done. There is a point where the sponsor pays to have a driver in the car, but if the driver can't go, they need to find somebody else. Replacement drivers don't do commercials.

If I was MWR, I would break the bank (Kauffman could do it) to steal Martin Truex Jr., and give him back the ride he should have never lost. Frankly, I never understood why they cut Truex Jr. when NAPA bailed. Why didn't he just slide over to the 55? BV was new at the time.

Best wishes to Brian Vickers for a speedy recovery. Hope after this surgery his issues are corrected and he can continue to pursue his racing dreams.

@bobpockrass

NASCAR says that right now, its thoughts go out to Brian for his health and well being. It would address a waiver at a later date.

I do think that the replacement will be interesting. Toyota has wanted to expand their line up, and was very happy to add Carl in part because it expanded their potential--they went from five to six cars. Now, they are back to five unless something surprising happens. They need a guy who can win races in that car. I know, I know, BV didn't win much and nor did Truex, but they have more potential than some of the names being thrown around. Having said that, if nothing shocking happens, I would lean HEAVILY to Cole Whitt.

I give this kid all the credit in the world for sticking to him dream. God speed on his recovery and I hope he can finally be done with these type issues.

No question, but I would like to see BV leave on his own terms. I am of the belief that sponsors are going to start to run from this guy. He deserves more. Remember, this would be the third time he had to leave the car.

No question, but I would like to see BV leave on his own terms. I am of the belief that sponsors are going to start to run from this guy. He deserves more. Remember, this would be the third time he had to leave the car.
Sure do pray that he will get well this time for good.

In all honesty, I wonder if BV is done. There is a point where the sponsor pays to have a driver in the car, but if the driver can't go, they need to find somebody else. Replacement drivers don't do commercials.

If I was MWR, I would break the bank (Kauffman could do it) to steal Martin Truex Jr., and give him back the ride he should have never lost. Frankly, I never understood why they cut Truex Jr. when NAPA bailed. Why didn't he just slide over to the 55? BV was new at the time.

If vickers is done (hope not) I would like to see one of the talented young drivers in the pipeline get a chance. Brett Moffitt is a test driver for them and he has potential, as does James Buescher, another talented driver in lesser equipment. And both are linked to Toyota

It was my understanding that after Chad Johnston asked for his release from MWR, so did Truex. I got the impression that he really felt like MWR essentially hung him out to dry.

It was my understanding that after Chad Johnston asked for his release from MWR, so did Truex. I got the impression that he really felt like MWR essentially hung him out to dry.
If he came to me tomorrow and said, 'I got a deal to go do something,' then obviously I would not hold him back. I owe him a lot for his loyalty and his passion for our team. I wouldn't hold him back from doing something he wanted to do, but I'd like him to hang around so we can attract a sponsor and keep him in our cars.

Your right but I think they should have kept him in the 55 car. I think he is a decent top 20 driver.

If he came to me tomorrow and said, 'I got a deal to go do something,' then obviously I would not hold him back. I owe him a lot for his loyalty and his passion for our team. I wouldn't hold him back from doing something he wanted to do, but I'd like him to hang around so we can attract a sponsor and keep him in our cars.

Your right but I think they should have kept him in the 55 car. I think he is a decent top 20 driver.

Yeah Truex is a curious case statistically speaking. On one hand, he has 2 career wins and has blown at least a handful of chances to win, developing the reputation of a guy who couldn't close the deal. On the other hand, he had become one of the most consistent drivers in NASCAR until this past year. If I'm not mistaken, from 2011-2013 he had more points than any other driver on the intermediate tracks, don't quote me but it was something to that effect.

I agree, he should have been kept for the 55 car. I believe he was a better option than Vickers, not only from a performance standpoint but also for the marketing/sponsorship side of things. Sponsorship stuff likely played a role in that decision though as Aaron's signed on to fund Vickers not Truex.

Either way I hope Vickers is able to recover and resume his career and it'd also be nice to see Truex be competitive again.

the reason why that happened is these guys contract are tied to sponsorship. This was an extremely unlikely and unprecedented event. what company is actually able legally to terminate a sponsorship in the middle of the deal?? napa had the right to do so and did. That left martin with a choice hang around and not get paid or get paid very little. sponsorship and driver contracts go together.

Poor Vickers, I hate it for him. He just can't seem to catch a break.

If vickers is done (hope not) I would like to see one of the talented young drivers in the pipeline get a chance. Brett Moffitt is a test driver for them and he has potential, as does James Buescher, another talented driver in lesser equipment. And both are linked to Toyota

I do not want that seat to turn into a development drive, but unless there is a surprise somewhere, I don't see any way around it. BK did some testing for TRD so I feel like Bowman and Whitt are the frontrunners. Having said that, I'd put Erik Jones in that car before any of the other development drivers.

Yeah Truex is a curious case statistically speaking. On one hand, he has 2 career wins and has blown at least a handful of chances to win, developing the reputation of a guy who couldn't close the deal. On the other hand, he had become one of the most consistent drivers in NASCAR until this past year. If I'm not mistaken, from 2011-2013 he had more points than any other driver on the intermediate tracks, don't quote me but it was something to that effect.

I agree, he should have been kept for the 55 car. I believe he was a better option than Vickers, not only from a performance standpoint but also for the marketing/sponsorship side of things. Sponsorship stuff likely played a role in that decision though as Aaron's signed on to fund Vickers not Truex.

Either way I hope Vickers is able to recover and resume his career and it'd also be nice to see Truex be competitive again.

Great post right there 3wideinturn1. Excellent perspective. Martin left MWR with such class. I would love to see that repaid with the drive he should have never lost. If BV is not done from the health perspective, I cannot imagine that a sponsor would sign on with him.

Damn. We've all got our ailments & I wish BV the best through his tribulations.

They did. No question.

The thing that is interesting about BV's replacement is that TRD wants more cars in its stable with the potential of winning. I don't believe that they would be in favor of a place holder in that particular ride, but there might not much anybody can do about it. I still am hoping for a shocker somewhere.

A real shame that this young man has to deal with these issues, sure hope he is able to recover and race again, it really sucks when your health prevents you from following your dreams :(

I really like Vickers. Even back in the HMS days when he took out Jr. at Talladega. It's a shame that he has these recurring health problems. First and foremost I hope he recovers fully. That's the important thing. Blood clots and heart issues are serious matters and for him and his family's sake, hopefully everything gets taken care of.

As far as the 55 car goes...I'm not sure what will happen. Brian is a plenty capable driver. He's won and made the Chase before. Other than at Hendrick, he's never really had a consistent situation to build with. Red Bull was a total ground up project that was never truly committed to the sport. Vickers was just starting to get on a roll before his first heart issue forced him out of the 83 car in 2010. Now with these recurring health problems, he's been in and out of the 55. As a Vickers fan, I hope he keeps his ride and can come back and win races. As a human being, I hope he does what's best for his family and can live a heathy life here on forward.

As far as sponsors go, I would venture to guess that Aaron's will want to go in a different direction in 2016. Vickers is a talented racer, but they can't afford to have a revolving door behind the wheel every year. It's not Brian's fault by any stretch. It's just business.

Vickers should be able to find a ride though, and I'd venture to guess that an organization for Blood Clot Awareness would be willing to sponsor him. He carried XARELTO on the car for a couple races this year. Keep in mind, Ryan Reed and Charlie Kimball are both sponsored the American Diabetes Association and Novo Nordick I believe.

Back in 2010 or 2011 whenever it was that he was hospitalized in NY. Red Bull and Monster were BANNED from sale in at least FOUR COUNTRIES! I blamed his heart/vein problems on his sponsor then and I see no reason to change that blame in my mind now. I think the substance is named TOULINE that is in both drinks. This substance has proved to cause problems with the blood system. I have never heard if he had problems BEFORE the NY incident. However in my mind I could see him guzzling Red Bull drink after drink. Also providing that same drink for all his friends.
Hopefully the operation was successful and he will return to all his former glory.
Betsy

Back
Top Bottom