bringing back 3 sponsor aka money related

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
I for one would like to see the 3 retired from cup. I think it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the only reason it would be brought back is to help land a sponsor. just doesn't seem right it happening for money reasons.

I can empathise because I felt the same way when Richard Petty retired. But I now think that no number should be retired. No mater who drives the 43 I think of The King. Someone posted a remark some time ago from Kelly Earnhardt about retiring the number and I thought her observation was pretty good - something to the effect that the number didn't define the driver.

Besides NASCAR is all about sponsor money.

I for one would like to see the 3 retired from cup. I think it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the only reason it would be brought back is to help land a sponsor. just doesn't seem right it happening for money reasons.

I'm trying to think of something about this sport (or any other sport) that isn't money related . I'll let you know if something turns up.

I'm trying to think of something about this sport (or any other sport) that isn't money related . I'll let you know if something turns up.

Good one.

The #3 (same font and everything) has been used by the Dillon brothers in trucks and NNS. I see no difference in one of them using it in Cup. Besides, Dale Sr. drove a #2 and a #15. Should we retire those too?

I would prefer not to see the #3 out there.

I don't think they should be using the #43 either.

in 2001 I thought it should have been retired, 12 years later no big deal. He and Richard were more then driver owner, I don't think he would have a problem with it.

It is the car owners number in Nascar, not the league or the driver. Dale drove for more than one owner and had more than one number on the car over the years. He drove Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Chevys and yes, even Fords. Yeah the three car is what most people remember.

Does this qualify?

BNttulDCQAETB-H.jpg:large

I don't mind seeing another #3 on the track, I just don't want to see another black #3 on the track.

interesting responses I am surprised at the number of people who don't care if it comes back. and no not everything is done for money. the last race dale jr won in the 3 was not done for money even he said they didn't ask wrangler to pay more money. thats the difference they did it to honor dale not secure a sponsorship.

interesting responses I am surprised at the number of people who don't care if it comes back. and no not everything is done for money. the last race dale jr won in the 3 was not done for money even he said they didn't ask wrangler to pay more money. thats the difference they did it to honor dale not secure a sponsorship.
Get all the black 3 merchandise with Dale on it that you can. this is what it is. life goes on dude. As you can see, opinions change. I'm not buying a cowboy hat myself.
dillon-3.jpg

The 3 will probably only expose a wannabe. If he doesnt produce the money will dry up regardless of the number.
It just gives an initial bounce.

that's what I don't want to see, the 3 not making it to victory lane regularly and being like the 43.

I don't think the style of Dale's #3 should be used again in Cup competition. The #3 itself I don't care, it was ran well before Dale used it, but the style of the 3 was his and he made it mean what it does to a lot of us. The company he started has been chopped up and Dale Jr has moved on. I think somebody driving a car with that style 3 on the door would be disrespectful.

well head bumper, you and sand pounder..sneak up on your tippy toes, and snatch off the three on Childress's car. I'll be lookout ok?

I've got mixed feeling on retiring numbers in general.

I know it's one of the ultimate honors to an athletic competitor, regardless of the sport involved.

But wouldn't fans tend to remember a particular athlete if "that number" was able to be seen on a regular basis instead of resigned to a trophy case ?

pop quiz: What New York Yankee once wore the long since retired #3.

It's just a number and not even Dale's original number. Dale would probably laugh at anyone who wanted his number retired.

But Austin Dillon wears a cowboy hat!!! That obviously makes him a cowboy with Earnhardt's attitude!!!
Austin really needs to ditch that hat, he looks ridiculous in it. Every time I see Austin in that cowboy hat, he reminds me of Leon from the Andy Griffith Show, the little 6-year old dressed up as a cowboy who always offers you a bite of his half-eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich. In other words, he's a little too young and baby-faced to pull it off.

Austin really needs to ditch that hat, he looks ridiculous in it. Every time I see Austin in that cowboy hat, he reminds me of Leon from the Andy Griffith Show, the little 6-year old dressed up as a cowboy who always offers you a bite of his half-eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich. In other words, he's a little too young and baby-faced to pull it off.

Yeah, what's with him and Stenhouse always walking around wearing cowboy hats.

This is rehashed about twice or three times a year and every time most members either would like to see it on the track or they are indifferent about it. It would be kinda cool but it's not my decision to make. RC and the Dillon boy's all say it's not sponsorship, and I believe them, but the fact that the black 3 car was the Childress family race car long before Dale Earnhardt was "hired" to drive it, so no, there is no disrespect at all.

FB, I would sure like to see some "big-assed rain" around here. We're dry, getting drier, and beginning to blow away.
I'll try to wish some of mine your way, we're being water logged.

I don't mind. If anything I see it as a tribute to Dale, like I do when I see it on the B-pillar of Harvick's car.

I don't think the style of Dale's #3 should be used again in Cup competition. The #3 itself I don't care, it was ran well before Dale used it, but the style of the 3 was his and he made it mean what it does to a lot of us. The company he started has been chopped up and Dale Jr has moved on. I think somebody driving a car with that style 3 on the door would be disrespectful.

Correct! the DE #3 is copyrighted, the number 3 is not. The 3 is simply a number, the man behind the DE #3 is a legend, and no one can ever change that.

Back
Top Bottom