Bristol Dirt Race

While a half-dozen or so Cup drivers have the on-track skills, how many crew chiefs have experience setting up any vehicle for dirt? I know none of them have ever set up a Cup car for this surface.
Replace “dirt” with “right turns” and I’m sure this exact same thing was said when road courses were introduced to the NASCAR circuit.

These are supposed to be the best race car teams that the country has to offer. They’ll figure it out.

Replace “dirt” with “right turns” and I’m sure this exact same thing was said when road courses were introduced to the NASCAR circuit.

These are supposed to be the best race car teams that the country has to offer. They’ll figure it out.
I'm just asking questions, not passing judgment. Excluding a couple of Eldora events, dirt racing is new to me. If it wasn't for the Bristol weekend, I'd probably not watch any. That's not intended as a knock on it, just trying to say I'm watching enough other forms of racing right now to try following anything else.

Ferguson races to Super Late Model victory Friday at Karl Kustoms Bristol Dirt Nationals​

Chris Ferguson has won some big races in his career, but Friday night at Bristol Motor Speedway he said he won the biggest one yet.

Ferguson held off a star-studded field of racers to win the 25-lap Super Late Model feature at the Karl Kustoms Bristol Dirt Nationals and pocket the $10,000-to-win payday. The North Carolina native will be the favorite to win Saturday night’s big 40-lap, $50,000-to-win Super Late Model A main feature.

Ferguson held off NASCAR Cup Series star Kyle Larson to take the victory. Three-time Lucas Oil Series national champ Jonathan Davenport finished third, dirt track legend Scott Bloomquist was fourth and Chris Madden finished fifth.
1616246944915.png

Dude can race anything and be fast. It’s amazing.

Kyle Busch is a supremely talented race car driver, but he won the B-Main and finished 13th a lap down while his teammate and car supplier finished 3rd. He nearly wrecked Ferguson when he was being lapped on lap 4 of the main event. It would take him a while to get the hang of these things.

Elliott had a solid run going and was in 11th when another driver spun out right in front of him.

Kyle Busch is a supremely talented race car driver, but he won the B-Main and finished 13th a lap down while his teammate and car supplier finished 3rd. He nearly wrecked Ferguson when he was being lapped on lap 4 of the main event. It would take him a while to get the hang of these things.

Elliott had a solid run going and was in 11th when another driver spun out right in front of him.
Well thats all disappointing lol

He's still Good. Today was another example.

He's still Good.

He certainly is. He struggled, and that's OK. I admire the fact that he came to play with the big boys with no real experience. Even with most of the big national late model teams not being in attendance due to other races this weekend, a super late model is a lot harder to just jump into than a crate late model or a modified.

Someone call Hemric and Gragson to tell them that this is how it’s done.

This is the only way they will gain that experience and will improve in the future if they keep the event or add more. They have to start somewhere.

This is the only way they will gain that experience and will improve in the future if they keep the event or add more. They have to start somewhere.
I don't think it is anywhere close to road racing. They don't get to redesign the whole car but mostly have to work with a few changes like covering up the vents with screens and tougher spindles. About all they can adjust is camber to a point, wedge and air pressure mostly.

I don't think it is anywhere close to road racing. They don't get to redesign the whole car but mostly have to work with a few changes like covering up the vents with screens and tougher spindles. About all they can adjust is camber to a point, wedge and air pressure mostly.
Definitely not close to road racing. Just that having these races is the only way any of them will get any kind of experience in how the changes affect the cars on dirt etc.
Also, I remember Harvick saying they would probably follow Briscoe's lead etc since he has the most dirt experience out of SHR's drivers, however I would think Smoke would have quite a bit of input himself to offer for his cars in this race.

The majority of the top national late model teams were in Indiana for a Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Series race tonight, and the track conditions were so terrible that cars were flipping in turn one on their own. They canceled the event mid program after a bad one. Kind of a shame for both events, as the field in Bristol would have been stacked if not for the Lucas race. That said, the WoO late model event at Bristol in a few weeks will be stacked.

Jonathan Davenport (that is whose second car Kyle Busch is driving) wins tonight, Larson second, Bloomquist third. Busch 12th, one spot better than last night. Elliott didn't compete tonight.

Jonathan Davenport (that is whose second car Kyle Busch is driving) wins tonight, Larson second, Bloomquist third. Busch 12th, one spot better than last night. Elliott didn't compete tonight.
Davenport is a South Carolina boy! Drove a great race!

The majority of the top national late model teams were in Indiana for a Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Series race tonight, and the track conditions were so terrible that cars were flipping in turn one on their own. They canceled the event mid program after a bad one. Kind of a shame for both events, as the field in Bristol would have been stacked if not for the Lucas race. That said, the WoO late model event at Bristol in a few weeks will be stacked.

I’m itching to go to that. I’ve been to the Eldora dirt race enough to know what the Cup one will be like. But WoO on the banks of Bristol? Goodness. I’d compare it honestly to IndyCar at Dover

Well I have to admit it went way better than I expected and they all looked like they knew what they were doing. Not one to support a Chevy driver but I really wanted Suarez to take it. Seems like a classy young man. I hate that it’s going to take one of the Bristol dates but can’t blame NASCAR for doing it again, especially when we should have normal occupancies by then. Hopefully. Well done to all involved.

Back
Top Bottom