Bristol Night Race questions from London

P

PaulyV

Hi there,

I am lucky enough to be driving through some of America in August and by chance am near Bristol on the 19th August when the night race is being run.

I have a great interest in motor racing and am somewhat familiar with NASCAR due to races such as the Daytona 500, hence this looked like too good an opportunity to miss and I have bought tickets to attend.

Basic questions really - mainly regards parking as I will not be in the area until a couple of hours before the start of the race. I have seen parking near the stadium such as the following:

http://www.finishlineparking.com/

I am assuming it would be wise to buy this ahead of time as traffic is going to be heavy to say the least? Anything else those more experienced would like to tell me?

I am really looking forward to the experience.

Thanks in advance.

Pauly

Pauly, you LOVE Bristol. I can't help with the parking question because I've always used a tour group that had special bus parking.
The really heavy traffic comes after the race, so be prepared to wait -- no matter where you park.

Come on, Bristol goers, help a gentleman from England out. To me, it would be wise to purchase parking in advance.

PaulyV, welcome! We have several Brits here in the forums. Coincidentally, I'm hoping to travel to your Bristol next spring.

It's been several years since I went to Bristol without having a reserved space in the track's handicapped parking directly outside turn 3. Before that, I parked in the gray lot marked 'Speedway Parking and Camping / Free Shuttle' on the south side of the track. That lot and the other free ones used to fill up pretty quickly, but that was several years ago. Hopefully someone who's been there recently can provide more up-to-date information. You might also Google for other 'for pay' parking lots in the area; that isn't the only one.

That Copperhead Road lot looks like it's about a mile and half from the track. I don't know if there are any shuttles from the it to the track. Wherever you wind up parking, be aware that eastern Tennessee is a beautiful but VERY hilly area. There will be some 'ups and downs' between you and the track entrance, and some of them can be steep. Sensible walking shoes are more important at Bristol than at tracks located in flatter areas.

Like TRL said, usually the chokepoint is getting out. Most traffic wants to head west or south to get to the interstates, and that lot on the east side of the track. Bring some extra munchies and get comfortable. (You know you can bring your own food and drink into the track, right?)

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for the replies so far. I will be eventually heading North East of the stadium to get back to Castlewood, just North of Abingdon which is where I am staying...about 45 minutes away by 'normal' traffic, but not much if any of it on the Interstate.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...5ea902e122943c!8m2!3d36.8901047!4d-82.2795854

Charlie - I believe the parking I mentioned is about half a mile from the stadium, or so they say. I like a walk so that isn't a problem but certainly interesting in hearing about any other possibilities. I have attended the 24 hours of Le Mans several times so know what waiting around in traffic is all about, but am equally keen to plan to mitigate it where possible!

I hope you get to visit our own Bristol next year - the accents will be different!

If you can, RUN back to your car RIGHT after the race, and you will make pretty good progress out. If not, it will be a wait. And I'd try to park on the side of road/track in the direction you plan to proceed afterward. They usually let vehicles exit the parking areas in the direction traffic flows on that side of the road.

And it's usually ridiculously hot and humid in August so wear something comfortable and that you can walk in. Hydrate yourself before you get out to walk.

You can bring a cooler in but remember you may have to walk a ways with it and there are size restrictions. Should say on ticket, if not, check track website. If not, be prepared to pay ridiculous prices for alcohol, drinks, etc. Sometimes worth it to not have to deal with carrying an ice packed cooler before the race.

Back
Top Bottom