Bristol Vs Martinsville

Biggreen695

Team Owner
Let’s say a man wanted to plan a race weekend for next year.

Martinsville is a 2 hour drive Bristol is a 4 hour drive. Would love to swing both but can’t do it. If I go to Bristol I’m not going to watch it covered it in dirt I’m going to watch it on concrete. Martinsville spring race out of question because of work.

If y’all had to choose what’s your pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Bristol night race which is now a playoff race, or Fall Martinsville which is usually the wildest race of the year. Sheesh...out of respect for both I don't even want to answer that lol.

Gun to my head, there's absolutely nothing like the Bristol night race. And that's before the cars even hit the track

I haven’t been to martinsville yet. It took me 25 years before going to Bristol… went to countless other notable tracks during that time span… Bristol kept getting held up from something on my end anytime I thought I would go…

Finally went to the fall race in 2020… and went to both this year. Seeing the night race re kindled so much for me… I only wanted to go to bristol from that first visit.

I cannot hype up the dirt race at all… I’m glad I got to go, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the concrete racing in my view. Not exactly planning to see Cup on dirt again…

I gotta imagine Martinsville is in the same league as seeing bristol though… especially this fall race they’re doing setting the final 4

Both are great but I prefer Martinsville. Everything is so close it just has an intimate feel.

Everything happens so fast as Bristol. I almost feel the need to see it twice to break it down. With Martinsville I have a better chance to mentally break it all down in real time. It is like I have more time to consider how a driver is hitting the apex, and how good they are off the corners.
You can do that at Bristol but it just happens so fast.

Both are great but I prefer Martinsville. Everything is so close it just has an intimate feel.

Everything happens so fast as Bristol. I almost feel the need to see it twice to break it down. With Martinsville I have a better chance to mentally break it all down in real time. It is like I have more time to consider how a driver is hitting the apex, and how good they are off the corners.
I’ve never been to Martinsville but I totally agree on Bristol. You can lose track of what to watch. Visual overload. Everything is happening so so fast.

I've been to both several times, and I've said this before, ...

Bristol is like seeing your all-time favorite band in a massive stadium, playing their big hits on electric guitars with a backup orchestra and pyro and lasers and multiple stages and speakers out the wazoo and crowds from six other states and two countries.

Martinsville is like going to your favorite joint and finding the band is back unannounced where they got started, playing for the locals, unplugged and acoustic, including alternate versions of the hits with all the original verses that were edit for air play, and filling requests for those great-but-unreleased cuts that album-buying fans know by heart and sing along with.

Last edited:
With all that philosophical crapola aside, @Biggreen695, if time and money are no object, do Bristol. If they are, M'ville tickets are less expensive, and a 2-hour drive after a day race won't require a hotel room. You won't want to face a four-hour drive after the Bristol night race in the August heat.

Either way, you're going to have a great time.

With all that philosophical crapola aside, @Biggreen695, if time and money are no object, do Bristol. If they are, M'ville tickets are less expensive, and a 2-hour drive after a day race won't require a hotel room. You won't want to face a four-hour drive after the Bristol night race in the August heat.

Either way, you're going to have a great time.

I’ll likely be drunk as a monkey, not got to worry about driving anyway

This is a hard pick.

Goes without saying I’ll be at Darlington 1, maybe the southern 500 again next year but hell it’s only an hour from the house.

Maybe I’ll hit the lottery and can do both next year!!

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
Bristol night race is something special. Been to it a couple of times and loved it. Got to see Kurt Busch get a win there in the 41 car his last season with SHR. I've never been to Martinsville but it's on the bucket list. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong either way. Hell a 4 hour drive is nothing. If I was only 2 hours from a track I'd be there every event. Bristol is 6 hours drive for me and Talladega is 3 hours. Luckily we got Nashville now which is only an hour away. Have fun whatever you pick you'll have fun either way.

Either. Probably can’t go wrong either way. I’d probably lean towards convenience between the two.

Bristol night race is something special. Been to it a couple of times and loved it. Got to see Kurt Busch get a win there in the 41 car his last season with SHR. I've never been to Martinsville but it's on the bucket list. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong either way. Hell a 4 hour drive is nothing. If I was only 2 hours from a track I'd be there every event. Bristol is 6 hours drive for me and Talladega is 3 hours. Luckily we got Nashville now which is only an hour away. Have fun whatever you pick you'll have fun either way.

Bud I’ve got Rockingham 10 minutes from the house.. talk about wishing they’d go back racing there. Darlington is right at an hour from here. It made both darlington races and plan to make at least one if not both next year.

Bristol is literally like a 500 lap sprint car race

Whooo hoooo,
This is the year we go to the Bristol night race

I know this has been talked about before
searched for the thread couldn't find it

need 2 seats so, we're thinking of sitting close to turn 1 by pit road exit, so we can see down front stretch
how high should we get our seats (there are seats available in bottom middle n top sections)
better spot?

also gonna take our camper to the All American campground
good spot to be?
any tips?

I've been to both several times, and I've said this before, ...

Bristol is like seeing your all-time favorite band in a massive stadium, playing their big hits on electric guitars with a backup orchestra and pyro and lasers and multiple stages and speakers out the wazoo and crowds from six other states and two countries.

Martinsville is like going to your favorite joint and finding the band is back unannounced where they got started, playing for the locals, unplugged and acoustic, including alternate versions of the hits with all the original verses that were edit for air play, and filling requests for those great-but-unreleased cuts that album-buying fans know by heart and sing along with.
Bristol it is

Whooo hoooo,

need 2 seats so, we're thinking of sitting close to turn 1 by pit road exit, so we can see down front stretch
how high should we get our seats (there are seats available in bottom middle n top sections)
better spot?

good spot to be?
any tips?
Dont wait too long to get your tickets. All seats at Bristol are pretty good but your view may be blocked by the haulers if you are at the bottom few rows. I'd say row 20 or higher. If you sit in turn 1 turn around and look up on the roof, thats where the Spotters are. It gives us a great view of the track, to me much better then being in the center.

Whooo hoooo,

better spot?

good spot to be?
any tips?

Above row 10 and below row 50, imo. The "higher up the better the seats" need not apply at Bristol. You'll notice the stuff up in the Wallace Tower is some of the cheapest at the track.

Bring lots of beer! Pick up a small walmart $5 kiddie pool and you'll be the most popular spot in the campground!

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_122750340.jpg
    IMG_20190815_122750340.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
IMO, Bristol races now days can get kind of boring, Martinsville is slam bam action from start to finish.....

• Wow
Reactions: sdj
When they announced the 2022 schedule, I called the local Martinsville hotels and tried to get a room for the fall race weekend, but they were already booked up. I don't know how the hell I managed to get a room at the Hampton Inn when I went there a few years ago for the spring race. Must have just got lucky.

Hotels within an hour of Bristol are going to be ridiculously overpriced, if you can even find a vacancy anywhere.

It seems like camping is the way to go. I don't know how some of you drive 2+ hours to the track on raceday, then 2+ hours back home when it's over. I mean I could easily do it, but it just doesn't seem fun.

You can go to Eden,NC or Reidsville, about 30 min away. But if you can find a way to camp there, that's the ticket.

We used to drive 10 hours round trip to watch Busch races at Rockingham and Darlington. Second round qualifying, the race and then cup final practice. Nice deal for 25$, but those days are over.

Bristol is far more of a spectacle and amazing experience. Martinsville is like taking a time machine back to late 70s or early 80s, and I don’t mean that as an insult. The facilities are definitely old school and ooze charm. Bristol is… Bristol.

Bristol has to be , experienced, at least once . You'll be back as I have on a few occasions.

It seems like camping is the way to go. I don't know how some of you drive 2+ hours to the track on raceday, then 2+ hours back home when it's over. I mean I could easily do it, but it just doesn't seem fun.

Lol I drive 2-3+ each way, same day for short track racing.

And 4am wakeups to do 4hr's each way to go skiing.

Lol I drive 2-3+ each way, same day for short track racing.

And 4am wakeups to do 4hr's each way to go skiing.

Man, I wish I could do that. I like driving, but I don't enjoy stuff as much when I know I have a long trip back home hanging over my head once it's over.

I used to go to Atlanta, 3.5 hours each way, if a race was rain-delayed. On Mondays, it's much easier getting in and out of the lot.

Charlotte (2.5 one way), Rockingham (also 2.5), Darlington (1.5)? Piece of cake, esp. now that attendance is down and getting out is easy.

Been to races at both tracks and for speed action, Bristol at night as the lights make it look faster but keeping track of what is taking place is hard no matter where you sit. Even with a radio it is hard to keep up.
Martinsville is old time racing with beating and banging, hot tempers and retaliation, just like the old days, plus the excitement of it being toward the end of the season when it is time to fish or cut bait makes this a great race.

Personally, I prefer Martinsville. You feel more of a part of the action and get a closer view of the track. Seating at least 20 rows up on either end, preferably turns three-four, so your head isn't on a swivel.

Good close parking and a nearby dual lane highway make for an easy exit. I used to drive from Raleigh taking all secondary roads to avoid traffic but always waited an hour or so before even thinking about starting out. Grab a hot dog, a drink, visit with other race fans, take a nap, or simply chill while waiting for traffic to lighten up for the drive home.

I've been to Martinsville not Bristol yet
Earnhardt beat Burton that day

Let’s say a man wanted to plan a race weekend for next year.

Martinsville is a 2 hour drive Bristol is a 4 hour drive. Would love to swing both but can’t do it. If I go to Bristol I’m not going to watch it covered it in dirt I’m going to watch it on concrete. Martinsville spring race out of question because of work.

If y’all had to choose what’s your pick?

I'm way late to the show on this question but as a once, long time, season ticket holder to both tracks.....

Martinsville, without a doubt, is far better racing. We gave up our season tickets to Richmond, Dover & Bristol ahead of finally giving up our Martinsville seats.

Bristol is more fun as far as the experience of off track activities but we went for the racing.

Martinsville, hands down!

Awesome your heading to Bristol. At any NASCAR short track, Bristol included, my preference is to sit between turns 1 & 2. Sitting on the front stretch is kind of like watching a tennis match mid court...back and forth, back and forth. At Bristol I would go for something above row 20 in the lower section and stay away from anything "up high."...it's not Daytona!
Enjoy

our tickets are in Pearson middle section C, row 14
looking right down the front stretch at end of pit road

thanks to everyone's recommendation these should be awesome seats

working on a camper spot in the All American campground

Back
Top Bottom