Bristol

KodiakRusty89

Team Owner
I know there's quite a few people on here who have been there. I'm considering making the trip down next month as my NASCAR summer capper. My questions are as follow...

1. My guess is midway through the corner is the best place to sit so that everything is front of you? What's a good row to sit that you're not too high, not too low, 25-30ish?
2. How is getting in and out with the reduced crowds? Can I get there 3 hours before the race (not a tailgater) and not have to prepare for 2 hours of track getting in?
3. Where do people stay? I live right off of 81 so it's basically a straight shot down through Virginia. Roanoke (158 miles) seems reasonable but it'll still make for a late night. Blacksburg is closer but that's the weekend the students return so hotel rates will be jacked up.

I'm going to decide over the next 2 weeks if I want to do Michigan again or Bristol. Michigan is easy (golf and cheap hotels readily available) but Bristol needs to be done. I'd love to go to the Southern 500 but I don't see how I can swing it with work.

We stayed at the Super 8 in Kingsport. It was something crazy expensive and they had a two night minimum (Fri & Sat) but we managed to book just one night (Saturday) thanks to expedia messing up.

We got to the track around 3 and traffic wasn't too heavy. When we got within a mile or so of the track, we parked in a large field next to a church. The church provided a shuttle service to the track. I think we had to walk back to the lot after the race though. Traffic wasn't bad at all on the way out.

We had hot passes and didn't end up buying tickets. About halfway through the race we let the infield/pits and went up into the grandstands and found empty seats near the top of turn 3/4. Our view was great but I really don't think there's a bad seat anywhere at Bristol.

We got to the track around 3 and traffic wasn't too heavy. When we got within a mile or so of the track, we parked in a large field next to a church. The church provided a shuttle service to the track. I think we had to walk back to the lot after the race though. Traffic wasn't bad at all on the way out.
My experience exactly. I'll bet it was the same church. There were several people providing shuttle service to the track, had to walk back. We did tail gate. Nicest part was the church let us use their bathrooms.

We stayed close to Pigeon Forge, about an hour and a half from the track. Lots to do in the area.

Last edited:
1. No bad seats except for the bottom 10 rows because of visibility across the track.
2. It's actually easier to get in to the night race than the spring race because most people get there early and tailgate. As for parking, park of the side of the track you need to leave. Crossing sides is near impossible.
3. I live in Knoxville, so I never spend the night. I have heard most hotels are jacked up in price.

I had season tickets almost parallel to the start finish line where I could look down at the flagman and I really liked that. Of course things were better before the transporters were allowed to park in the infield but it still isn't bad at all. I can't help with getting in and out as I stayed with a buddy in Johnson City and he knew the back roads and got us in and out quickly. We didn't leave Johnson City until after 3:00 and we made several stops before getting to the track.

Yo could try Radford, at exit 109 off of 81. There are a couple hotels within a mole of the exit. That'd put you right at an hour away from the track. I'm not sure about Radford Unifersity students comping back though. The rates there may be jacked as well. Pulaski at Exit 94 has a few as well. No college to interfere there.

Thanks for the feedback! Trying to figure out a reasonably priced hotel within a 2 hour drive is my goal! The college towns are usually perfect but that weekend is basically move-in period at all schools.

Yo could try Radford, at exit 109 off of 81. There are a couple hotels within a mole of the exit. That'd put you right at an hour away from the track. I'm not sure about Radford Unifersity students comping back though. The rates there may be jacked as well. Pulaski at Exit 94 has a few as well. No college to interfere there.
Exit 98 Dublin not Pulaski. Oops. Bad part is I take that exit everyday.

I've sat in several sections on the back and turn 3. I prefer them because they're in the shade most of the afternoon, so you start the race 10 - 15 degrees cooler than the sunny seats on the front and in turn 1. I've had great views sitting between rows 25 and 45, although you could probably go as low as 20 or even 15 and still see everything.

I come up I-26 from SC, so my hotel advice regarding Asheville probably won't do you any good. For anyone else coming from that direction, it's definitely the place to stay. They don't usually jack the rates up too much. It's about 90 minutes, double-lane all the way, most of it interstate (I-26).

Also, don't speed in Virginia.

You southern folks probably know this already, but I learned the hard way that anything over 80 in the great state of Virginia is an automatic reckless op. 82 in a 70 made the court of Wytheville $441 richer, and my bank account $441 lighter. Yes, $441 ****ing dollars for 17% over the limit. It still pisses me off to this day.

Don't speed in Virginia.

Everytime I have gone I have parked along the road on the south side just outside the souvenir area. Free parking and easy in/out. I don't know if they still do, but they used to keep some lots closed for over an hour after the race.

You southern folks probably know this already, but I learned the hard way that anything over 80 in the great state of Virginia is an automatic reckless op. 82 in a 70 made the court of Wytheville $441 richer, and my bank account $441 lighter. Yes, $441 ****ing dollars for 17% over the limit. It still pisses me off to this day.

Don't speed in Virginia.

Golden rule.. never go more than 10MPH over.

Don't speed in Virginia.
It pisses you off that you were fined for breaking the law?

True, but driving through West Virginia you gotta go 80+ just to keep up with traffic, including the semi trucks.

It pisses you off that you were fined for breaking the law?

I've had worse speeding tickets that cost me less than $200. The fine didn't justify the crime IMO. Highway robbery.

True, but driving through West Virginia you gotta go 80+ just to keep up with traffic, including the semi trucks.

I've had worse speeding tickets that cost me less than $200. The fine didn't justify the crime IMO. Highway robbery.

you got stopped by a hi po, their fines are much higher than local yokels or county.

I'm 34 and never had a speeding ticket knock on wood. I'm a 5 over guy with cruise if I can help it. My Kia Rio rental over the weekend did not have cruise and I found myself flirting with 80 at times. It's especially hard going across PA with the mountains and the trucks. You're basically forced to gun it by them going down hills.

I've driven in VA and NC enough to be careful. I'm tossing around staying in Roanoke Friday night and winging Saturday if I decide to go. I'm definitely leaning in that direction. Michigan is a great place to attend a race but I've been there 3 times now.

I'm 34 and never had a speeding ticket knock on wood. I'm a 5 over guy with cruise if I can help it. My Kia Rio rental over the weekend did not have cruise and I found myself flirting with 80 at times. It's especially hard going across PA with the mountains and the trucks. You're basically forced to gun it by them going down hills.

I've driven in VA and NC enough to be careful. I'm tossing around staying in Roanoke Friday night and winging Saturday if I decide to go. I'm definitely leaning in that direction. Michigan is a great place to attend a race but I've been there 3 times now.

I'm more than twice your age and I've gotten 1 speeding ticket. I just wasn't paying attention.

I think you will see huge difference between Michigan and Bristol. :)

10 over would get you popped in Oklahoma. were crap full of toll roads, but the speed limit is 75 and you can run 5 over all day which is plenty fast.

All depends on where you are and the surrounding traffic. There's a section of interstate south of here I simply hate. Everyone is doing 80 and there's a lot of semis. I don't know why I can do 80-85 on the Atlanta perimeter, but on that stretch of the interstate further south, I'm white knuckled until I get off.

I got enough tickets for both of ya, I didn't get off extended risk insurance until 35. I liked street racing.

Try doing 65 pulling an 8500 lb RV trailer through there. It'll tighten ya butt up I'll tell ya that. :D
I always remember what John Andretti was reported to have told his wife about driving the RV - "Hit your signal, count three clicks, make your move."

At least Atlanta's flat. You ever pulled the pig on I-40 between Knoxville and Asheville?

I always remember what John Andretti was reported to have told his wife about driving the RV - "Hit your signal, count three clicks, make your move."

At least Atlanta's flat. You ever pulled the pig on I-40 between Knoxville and Asheville?
Yep. This year we went to the Charlotte race the Dover race then up to Northern Maine. Then we followed the Appalachian Trail road route all the way down to the end in Georgia. It sticks as close as it can to the walking trail and the crests of the mountains. Last year it was all through the Rockies in Arizona and Colorado. We go to several races a year but living in Florida It's a long haul to most of the tracks. The closest is Atlanta 6 hrs and Daytona 7 hrs. We've been through the I-40 corridor many times and in places It's not a lotta fun.

I'm 37 and had had one speeding ticket. I'll never forget the day I got it. About 3 am on September 11th 2001.

Don't speed in Virginia.

As someone who had never stepped foot in Virginia till I drove down to Bristol for the Short Track Nationals this May, I noticed three things about Virginia-

1. Caverns. Every. Single. Exit.
2. "Bridge ices before road" signs. Every. Single. Bridge.
3. These signs-

CsfNygiWAAA0trv.jpg

Are posted every 10 miles or so wherever the speed limit is 70mph.

@KodiakRusty89

My post shortly after my return from the Short Track Nationals this year, regarding seating. Take it with a grain of salt, as it's the only time I've been to Bristol.

I sat in the first row of the Jeff Gordon Terrace (where the red seats start after the aluminum, equivalent to row 40 but the numbers reset). I started off higher up but I couldn't read the car numbers. I went up to the Earnhardt Terrace, which are the most expensive seats and they were waaaaaayyyy to high up for my liking. Bring an oxygen tank. I couldn't imagine what it must be like up on the Wallace tower.

If/when I go to Bristol for a Cup race, I'm giving in and bringing ear plugs. I feel that row 30-50 would be the "sweet spot" of not too low not too high. Any of the Terrace seats other than those on the backstretch would be too high for my liking. I also tried out the 10th row of the backstretch becasue that's where the cheap-seats are for the Cup races. I thought it was fine. There were also no haulers in the infield to obstruct the view.

I sat on row 1 of the backstretch.. yes I said One. I loved it. I couldn't see a portion of the front stretch. It didn't matter to me. The thrill was being so close to the cars I felt like I could touch them. Personally, seeing the cars up close, feeling the wind as they go by, was more fun than seeing the whole track. But that's just me.

One great thing about getting stopped in Georgia back in the 70's was you got to pay your fine to the friendly ossifer right then and there. Cash only, no checks or CC. But don't ask for your change or receipt unless you want a knot on your haid...... BTDT

retired owner op trucker. It gets real interesting sometimes going thru those crashvilles

Don't speed in Virginia.

There is a money tree growing in Wythe County....its right there where the two interstate highways intersect.

And, when you think you're safe on beautiful route 460 - there's Waverly..................

Back
Top Bottom