Bruton Smith

Very sad to hear. Bruton was a true visionary and innovator in race promotion and race track ownership. Godspeed Bruton Smith.

Marcus Smith has been running SMI for a while already. I do worry about SMI's future direction under him, as he views Nascar more as entertainment and less as a sporting contest of skill than I'd prefer. NA18D. Atlanta as a plate track. Etc.

Statement from NASCAR Chairman and CEO Jim France on the passing of Bruton Smith
1655932922927.png

Very sad to hear. Bruton was a true visionary and innovator in race promotion and race track ownership. Godspeed Bruton Smith.

Marcus Smith has been running SMI for a while already. I do worry about SMI's future direction under him, as he views Nascar more as entertainment and less as a sporting contest of skill than I'd prefer. NA18D. Atlanta as a plate track. Etc.
Cant agree with this. Marcus brought the Roval which rejuvenated the fall race and changed how they raced at Charlotte, just as he added the dirt race at Bristol which requires a different skill set and is an exciting event. Sporting contests and entertainment go hand in hand and he is no different than his dad and what he did.

Cant agree with this. Marcus brought the Roval which rejuvenated the fall race and changed how they raced at Charlotte, just as he added the dirt race at Bristol which requires a different skill set and is an exciting event. Sporting contests and entertainment go hand in hand and he is no different than his dad and what he did.
I like the Roval, but could honestly do without the dirt race. It was cool and all, but I rather see them hit up a real dirt track if they wanna do dirt.

Bruton Smith was a pioneer of the sport and made many great contributions that helped grow NASCAR to what it is today

While I did not always agree with his methods, I appreciated Bruton Smith and his efforts for the sport. He was a true asset.

I was (and still am) very impressed with his attitude towards the racers themselves - even us little guys. I used to crew chief on a Legends car (racing the Summer Shootout and related races at Charlotte Motor Speedway) that was very frustrating because the car owner / driver refused to get a bent chassis fixed (you had to be 110% to be competitive)... I was ready to quit... as our class lined up waiting our feature race (and our car was on the back row as usual) Mr. Smith walked up and thanked us for coming out and supporting the series. He started with the slowest teams, and spent more time with them than he did with the fast teams. He made me feel that we were more than just chumps, and motivated me to stick it out for the rest of the season.

Mr. Smith was generous to smaller teams back in the day when NASCAR purses were minimal. He is known to give extra money to teams that were regulars that tried and always showed up. He was truly a racer at heart.

I didn't always agree with some of the things he did but understood it from a business point. Obviously he knew what he was doing from all his success. Wasn't he the one who came up with the 4-wide drag racing? Still don't like that one. I liked him every time he was interviewed.

Back
Top Bottom