Buddy Dial dies

muggle not

Team Owner
Buddy Dial the great receiver for the Steelers has died. Buddy still ranks second in the NFL for average yard per catch with an average of 20.8 yards.

I miss the great receivers like Buddy Dial, Raymond Berry, Art Monk, Sonny Randle, etc. I would choose them in a heartbeat over the likes of Terrell Owens and Randy Moss that are playing today

Muggle, those old guys were in a league of their own. Today's top recievers are playing in a totally different game. Today, the game is pass, pass, pass and then maybe run. The old days of three yards and a cloud of dust is gone. I loved the old days, but I love the new ones as well. Hell, I love it when a defense is so good it shuts down an offense.

Muggle, those old guys were in a league of their own. Today's top recievers are playing in a totally different game. Today, the game is pass, pass, pass and then maybe run. The old days of three yards and a cloud of dust is gone. I loved the old days, but I love the new ones as well. Hell, I love it when a defense is so good it shuts down an offense.
LOL, you must have been a fan of the Steelers and "Mean Joe Greene" and company. :)

You are correct though, it is an entirely different game. I also enjoy today's game but if given a choice would go for the "old style' football. Maybe it is just that I liked the players better than today's group.

I may have told this story before....but ....what the heck will tell it again.

When I lived in Maryland (suburban DC)there was a place called the Washingtonian Motel (since tore down for a building complex) that had a nice watering hole. One Saturday afternoon a couple of us stopped in to have a beer and there sitting at a table was Johnny Unitas, Billy Kilmer, and Sonny Jurgensen having a few drinks.

LOL, you must have been a fan of the Steelers and "Mean Joe Greene" and company. :)

No! Da Bears all the way.

When I lived in Maryland (suburban DC)there was a place called the Washingtonian Motel (since tore down for a building complex) that had a nice watering hole. One Saturday afternoon a couple of us stopped in to have a beer and there sitting at a table was Johnny Unitas, Billy Kilmer, and Sonny Jurgensen having a few drinks.

Oh wow. Johnny Unitas was my first pro football idol. And always like Billy and Sonny. They always looked so old to me, especially Sonny with his baldness. But then, George Blanda looked old to me, and guess what, he was! Remember when he filled in for the Snake once in Oakland? What was he, 48 or something like that.

No! Da Bears all the way.

Oh wow. Johnny Unitas was my first pro football idol. And always like Billy and Sonny. They always looked so old to me, especially Sonny with his baldness. But then, George Blanda looked old to me, and guess what, he was! Remember when he filled in for the Snake once in Oakland? What was he, 48 or something like that.
Billy and Sonny were pals and did a lot of carousing in our area. There were quarterbacks better than Sonny but none could throw the ball like him. Watching him throw the football was as much joy as watching Mazerowski playing second base. I don't need to say anything about Unitas, he was simply one of the best.

Back
Top Bottom