By The Numbers

Mike Crayne

Team Owner

23.3 – Average age of NASCAR’s national series champions: Cup Series, Chase Elliott (24.11); Xfinity Series, Austin Cindric (22.1); Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series, Sheldon Creed (23).

1,190 – Green flag passes for the lead in the NASCAR Cup Series, second-most in the past 14 seasons.

20.0 – The average number of lead changes per NASCAR Cup Series race, the most since 2014 (21.17).

20 - Number of races with a margin of victory of less than a second, most since 2014.

1988 – The last year that NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver won the championship (Bill Elliott).

4 - NASCAR transitioned from a series entitlement model to a premier partner model that welcomed four global leading brands as premier partners – Busch Beer, Coca-Cola, Geico and Xfinity.

3 - Three new teams have announced they will enter the NASCAR Cup Series in 2021, including 23XI Racing owned by Michael Jordan and Denny Hamlin.

Even more numbers in the article.

The margin of victory is rather misleading with the way the 550 package works but it was a decent season

The margin of victory is rather misleading with the way the 550 package works but it was a decent season
Those are the facts. The package was designed for more passing and closer racing including being able to pass for the lead. I don't know what is misleading about that. It did what they said it would. Surely you have heard two years of complaints from fans saying they don't like that.

Because from a racing purist standpoint it’s nothing more than a game of wake & draft, no throttle response or brake at any of em. It’s a package that is artificially designed to have them bunched closer together. I don’t mind it, but from a racing purist standpoint it’s garbage.

Surely you would realize after Kansas that it’s not that easy to pass for the lead as you think it is.

Because from a racing purist standpoint it’s nothing more than a game of wake & draft, no throttle response or brake at any of em. It’s a package that is artificially designed to have them bunched closer together. I don’t mind it, but from a racing purist standpoint it’s garbage.

Surely you would realize after Kansas that it’s not that easy to pass for the lead as you think it is.
Dude you can go round and round and have for who knows how long. ..those are statistics..they aren't misleading as you say, that was what the package was designed to do..You have a problem with it? So be it. Why don't ya take off on Gluck's survey percentage next...some of the well used comments..Those people don't know what they are talking about, those are twitter people, that small of a survey doesn't reflect what REAL fans think, on and on.

I didn’t say my opinion mattered. And I’ve gladly spent more money on a real racing series lately where stuff like throttle input actually matters so don’t come here with these baseless claims when I’ve spent MY money going to the racetracks.

Tony Stewart’s interview at the 1 minute mark is gold

Last edited:
From Jayski:
Fan Engagement (Television & Digital)
3.058M
- Average viewers on television of the NASCAR Cup Series, off just -2% year-over-year during one of the most competitive television landscapes in history.

+1% – NASCAR viewership was up across races 2 thru 36 (excluding a rain impacted DAYTONA 500) – consistently bringing a stable audience each weekend.

+11 - On FS1, weekday editions of "NASCAR Race Hub" were up 11% this season compared to 2019 (show started back on Jan. 27).

190+ – NASCAR content was distributed in over 190 countries and territories.

+7% – Total visits to NASCAR’s digital platform rose +7% from 2019.

+10% – Increase in the amount of time fans are spending on NASCAR’s digital platforms on race days.

+56% - NASCAR social media engagements have increased significantly.

18%
- Increase in NASCAR Mobile App downloads year-over-year.

30% - @NASCARonFOX recorded a +30% increase over 2019 with more than 431 million views across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

8.6M – Video of drivers pushing Bubba Wallace’s car to the front of the grid at Talladega is FOX Sports’ most-watched Twitter video of all time on any account with 8.6 million views.
140+
- Live races aired in debut season of OTT platform TrackPass on NBC Sports Gold.

+56% - NASCAR social media engagements have increased significantly.
I wonder what comes under the category of 'NASCAR social media engagements'? Are those strictly what NASCAR itself chooses to post or share, or does it include teams, drivers, sponsors, etc? If the latter, I wonder how much of the bounce might be due to Wallace?

I wonder what comes under the category of 'NASCAR social media engagements'? Are those strictly what NASCAR itself chooses to post or share, or does it include teams, drivers, sponsors, etc? If the latter, I wonder how much of the bounce might be due to Wallace?
Yeah that is pretty obscure. Another one that is confusing is when they say Nascar's digital platforms without an explanitation of what are they calling digital platforms. Now Wallace's Talladega vid is much easier to compute. That's a pretty large figure and that was shown on other media outlets besides so a person couldn't only see that clip at Twitter but many other places. That explains why Wallace had so many personal sponsors show up.

And then we have this: Elliott blew out the Merch. Could have skewed the results of Gluck's survey about was it a good season..Well yeah. Elliott won. :biggrin: 147% is a real nice increase
Licensing
- Chase Elliot’s first Cup Series title resulted in the most first-day merchandise sales of any NASCAR champion in the last 10 years.
+78% – Overall NASCAR Shop Sales are significantly up year-over-year / since NASCAR’s return to racing in May, NASCAR Shop Sales are +147% year-over-year.

Back
Top Bottom