Camping at Richmond - 1st timer

J

Jen1110

Hi there,

We are camping at Richmond this April and going to both day's races (Saturday and Sunday). So I have a couple questions:
  1. Is it worth it to rent seat cushions, scanners, etc?
  2. We will have an extra vehicle and the information we received says we can park an extra vehicle for $20 - is this per day
Any other suggestions on what to bring etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jen

Absolutely positively yes to the scanners - do Fan Vision scanners if you can. I've never been big on the seat cushion thing but I guess it would be worth it. Remember to take advantage of the bring your own cooler and bag into the track rule - each person is allowed one of each. This sport rules all just for that rule alone. Can bring in anything food and drink wise so long as it is not in glass (a.k.a. pour your whisky into a water bottle :p)

As for the parking, I'd check their website or call them for that info.

Welcome to the ZOO :waver:@Jen1110

Absolutely get or rent a scanner. Make sure you have MRN or PRN programed in (don't know which is covering this race) Have Fun.:salute:

Welcome!

I agree regarding the scanners, but I'd go with the standard 'radio only' ones. Don't spend your first race watching the FanVision device. If you decide not to get scanners, definitely get ear plugs.

If there's any chance you'll attend races regularly, buy seat cushions. I'd get them in advance at sporting good or outdoor stores; they'll be cheaper than buying them at the track.

Other requirements - sun screen, comfortable shoes. Like AdoubleU24 says, be sure to bring a cooler with food and drink; you can save a lot of money.

I've never been but everyone here says "YES" to the scanner.

I'd need a seat cushion too, I have a sensitive arse.

I'll be the contrarian. I have a good scanner and have not used it at a NASCAR race for more than 5 years. All the races now have big TV screens, just make sure your seat provides a good view and you will have replay access if you miss it on the track. Plus if anything super exciting happens on the scanner you will either be able to hear it on radio active or pick it up on your dvr at home, which you should set to record the race. I much prefer to watch the race and not be distracted playing with the scanner. I got plenty of cushion, so a seat cushion isn't necessary for me.

Richmond is a great track to attend a race and camping is a super way to enjoy the entire weekend. I prefer to sit in turns 3 - 4.

I'll be the contrarian. I have a good scanner and have not used it at a NASCAR race for more than 5 years. All the races now have big TV screens, just make sure your seat provides a good view and you will have replay access if you miss it on the track. Plus if anything super exciting happens on the scanner you will either be able to hear it on radio active or pick it up on your dvr at home, which you should set to record the race. I much prefer to watch the race and not be distracted playing with the scanner. I got plenty of cushion, so a seat cushion isn't necessary for me.

Richmond is a great track to attend a race and camping is a super way to enjoy the entire weekend. I prefer to sit in turns 3 - 4.
I believe that the scanner is a must. If it gets distracting just listen the the TV broadcast channel or MRN. Plus the headphones suppress the noise.

I believe that the scanner is a must. If it gets distracting just listen the the TV broadcast channel or MRN. Plus the headphones suppress the noise.
Oh no, were are not going to start talking about noise again are we...LOL

Oh, for camping, you might want some earplugs anyway, if you hope to get some sleep. Some of those campgrounds can get kinda rowdy.

On the other hand, if you plan on staying up, never mind.

Has anyone rented the scanners through Racing Electronics? Do these also have the option of listening to the TV broadcast channel?

Has anyone rented the scanners through Racing Electronics? Do these also have the option of listening to the TV broadcast channel?
Yes, the rented scanners have the option to listen to the TV broadcast, the MRN radio broadcast, the NASCAR race control channels, and the frequencies for each car.

I prefer the MRN frequency because you can hear the broadcast crew talking during the commercials. They know fans are listening, and they'll give shout-outs and play some pranks. You can also hear them talk about the drivers' performances with less inhibition than they display when the 'mikes are hot'. The TV crew isn't as loose; they talk about the images on the screen, while the radio crew talks about what's happening on the track.

Back
Top Bottom