Caraway Speedway in serious trouble

I've been there a couple of times, really nice facility, thats a shame..

Unfortunate, but not surprising either. Caraway used to be packed - pits and grandstands - even for regular weekly shows. But then they finally got the full NASCAR sanction they’d been coveting...

After that re-sanction they did a great job upgrading the facility (paving most of the pits and around the grandstands, and added grandstands and a new fan entrance with new concession stands). But they also tossed their car classes and switched to NASCAR rules classes. Too many of their racers couldn't afford wholesale car changes or new cars, plus the new NASCAR membership fees, so the car count dried up... and the crowds with it. Then the economy soured and electronic entertainment ramped up, and Caraway never recovered despite bringing in different classes again.

I liked going to watch and also to race there, but it became too long a drive for too small a show. Still, I’m going to try to catch some shows there before it’s too late.

Darren Hackett said a large part of why this is happening is because of the passing of his father and longtime Caraway Speedway owner/promoter, Russell Hackett.
I think it’s time to hit the reset button and shutter weekly racing at the track,” said Hackett. “(As far as the sale) The estate has to be settled and the other members are wanting to sell the facility. At this time, I can’t make the obligation to purchase it, so I’m searching for the right buyer.

Yep, Russell was stubborn and kept plugging away in his own way... the rest of the family is going to avoid admitting anything that might jeopardize a sale...

Back
Top Bottom