Careful Denny.....

I mean, who does that?
dal1.jpg

First off, from this written article, it doesn’t even sound like the booth confirmed if they were connected to Bubba. He had headphones on, it’s stupid to approach someone with headphones on anyway. It’s a sign that they don’t want to be bothered. Secondly, I’m not sure you are too familiar with an athlete’s mindset before games or events. Atleast when I was playing college ball, I was pretty anti social the entire morning/day leading up to the game. I was thinking about situations all day and if someone other than a teammate or coach tried to talk to me, I really didn’t pay much attention.

I chalk this up to a communications error by Fox. This is such a non issue.
I have a hard time drawing the parallel. College ball vs NASCAR racing? Ok. Congratulations on your high level ball playing. But EVERY driver speaks to media before the race. I’ve never even seen the usual dickheads that feel they earned their rights to be dickheads do it before? Now after, different story and usually warranted.

Or be relevant.
I respect you spotter, but anyone be they NASCAR driver or not, has the right to refuse something like that. These are human beings not animals. Does his contract say he doesnt have the right to refuse an interview? 🤷‍♂️

That said, I bet doordash is not pleased missing out on free airtime.

Okay

But are you ready to talk about Denny not being a team player yesterday also, or just wanna bitch about Bubba doing it?
Oh sure...Denny is a dick....he deserves being screwed over...lol.

Seriously, I have to wonder how much Bubba thinks of Denny as his boss? Denny has ownership I guess but the $ is coming from someone else WAY more....

Reactions: sdj
I respect you spotter, but anyone be they NASCAR driver or not, has the right to refuse something like that. These are human beings not animals. Does his contract say he doesnt have the right to refuse an interview? 🤷‍♂️

That said, I bet doordash is not pleased missing out on free airtime.
I understand they have the right, but its not a good look, gameface, focus its all hype. Hell they talk to drivers a half lap from the green flag. My opinion he isnt at a level that he can just wave Network TV off. I dont believe Earnhardt ever did that before a race.

Mountain out of a molehill. This stuff happens between drivers/teammates all the damn time. They will talk it out and be fine.

Obviously Denny and MJ have high expectations for Bubba, but what happens if he doesn't win? Would they replace Bubba after a couple years with no wins? Would MJ lose patience and call it quits, which could jeopardize the future of the team? Would he invest more and start up a second car with an established/successful driver? Lots of ways this could go.

Bubba got his first, and the team’s first stage win yesterday. He’s run fairly competitively and has graced the lead of the field a good bit with just a quarter of 23XL’s debut season down. I don’t think this team nor the driver has reached their respective ceilings yet. Give it some time. More reasons to be excited for Bubba and this team are coming. Little on-track moments between Bubba and Denny will be overshadowed by Denny getting to see Bubba achieve milestones for what is partly his own team, I’m sure.

The grid walk on FOX has been going on for quite some time. All drivers are familiar with it, and what it entails.
When a Network cameraman, soundman, producer, interviewer, & security show up right before the start of a race at your car on pit road, pretty sure they are there to interview you. Pretty hard to say there was "no communication " from the booth as to their intentions. It's as if it is a unwritten requisite to grant an interview and air time for your sponsors. Maybe Wallace will let this be one of those maturing episodes that he can learn from and helps him move on.

Last edited:
From the article:
"During the NASCAR RaceDay show on Fox before Sunday’s race at Talladega, Chris Myers, Jeff Gordon, and Clint Bowyer stood on pit road as the camera and microphone traveled down pit road for prerace interviews.

First up was Wallace.

Wallace was wearing headphones and stood off by himself, away from his car and facing the grandstands, when the camera and mic approached.

“Yeah, Bubba, man,” Gordon opened as the driver turned and faced the camera like he was prepared to talk. “Can he hear us?” Bowyer immediately asked.
“You were so strong at Daytona, how about it, now? Talladega. This could be the day,” Gordon told him.
Wallace lifted his hand and inadvertently bumped the microphone in his face, then waved off the microphone and the interview.

“Ah, he’s focused,” Gordon said. “He’s got the music playing. He’s focused.”
“He didn’t like your question, Jeff,” Bowyer chimed in. "

I mean, who does that? I can see after a race when you want to collect yourself and not say anything dumb but....lighthearted interview before the race?
Just odd....
Did I miss someone asking Bubba about this and his response?
Seems like it would be pretty easy to clear up what happened.

From the article:
"During the NASCAR RaceDay show on Fox before Sunday’s race at Talladega, Chris Myers, Jeff Gordon, and Clint Bowyer stood on pit road as the camera and microphone traveled down pit road for prerace interviews.

First up was Wallace.

Wallace was wearing headphones and stood off by himself, away from his car and facing the grandstands, when the camera and mic approached.

“Yeah, Bubba, man,” Gordon opened as the driver turned and faced the camera like he was prepared to talk. “Can he hear us?” Bowyer immediately asked.
“You were so strong at Daytona, how about it, now? Talladega. This could be the day,” Gordon told him.
Wallace lifted his hand and inadvertently bumped the microphone in his face, then waved off the microphone and the interview.

“Ah, he’s focused,” Gordon said. “He’s got the music playing. He’s focused.”
“He didn’t like your question, Jeff,” Bowyer chimed in. "

I mean, who does that? I can see after a race when you want to collect yourself and not say anything dumb but....lighthearted interview before the race?
Just odd....
You apparently never watched any of Michael Waltrip's "grid walks" before the race and the troubles he had even getting a monosyllable out of some drivers. Either that or you have another agenda ;)

You apparently never watched any of Michael Waltrip's "grid walks" before the race and the troubles he had even getting a monosyllable out of some drivers. Either that or you have another agenda ;)
And what would that be?

Yes, I've watched plenty of them. Many drivers appeared taken aback and wondering WTH MW was going to ask or say but never saw any basically dismiss him or look like an ass. I'm sure many wanted to, and probably are not too crazy about talking to anyone before the race if they are a little introverted but I promise, sponsors are not going to be thrilled when their driver purposely limits their tv time or shows his ass wearing their logo/colors.

The grid walk on FOX has been going on for quite some time. All drivers are familiar with it, and what it entails.
When a Network cameraman, soundman, producer, interviewer, & security show up right before the start of a race at your car on pit road, pretty sure they are there to interview you. Pretty hard to say there was "no communication " from the booth as to their intentions. It's as if it is a unwritten requisite to grant an interview and air time for your sponsors. Maybe Wallace will let this be one of those maturing episodes that he can learn from and helps him move on.
You’re under the assumption that driver’s media reps aren’t notified that an interview is coming, whether it be the grid walk or any other type of interview. You’re falling for TV magic. Things happen off camera to make TV magic happen. Nothing is spontaneous.

And what would that be?

Yes, I've watched plenty of them. Many drivers appeared taken aback and wondering WTH MW was going to ask or say but never saw any basically dismiss him or look like an ass. I'm sure many wanted to, and probably are not too crazy about talking to anyone before the race if they are a little introverted but I promise, sponsors are not going to be thrilled when their driver purposely limits their tv time or shows his ass wearing their logo/colors.
If you saw so many than why would it be odd when a driver declines or isn't paying any attention to make the big deal you are making out of it?

You’re under the assumption that driver’s media reps aren’t notified that an interview is coming, whether it be the grid walk or any other type of interview. You’re falling for TV magic. Things happen off camera to make TV magic happen. Nothing is spontaneous.
So you are saying everything they say in the booth isn't spontaneous. Or michael or the Fox sports gridwalk was scripted. lol

Oh. Okay. Thanks for the insight.

I really need to be more careful about sharing things I notice. I really didn't intend for this to still be a discussion days after the race and bleed over into and take over a different thread. Sometimes I forget how defensive and argumentative us fans can be when it comes to our drivers. :flushed:

I've heard drivers turn down the whole "talk to the Fox booth over the radio" thing before. Once Gustafson asked Chase Elliott "hey, do you want to talk to TV?" during either a red flag or caution. He shot back "nope." Nothing was ever said because viewers were none the wiser. I believe it was right before a late restart where he was going for win.

I've heard drivers turn down the whole "talk to the Fox booth over the radio" thing before. Once Gustafson asked Chase Elliott "hey, do you want to talk to TV?" during either a red flag or caution. He shot back "nope." Nothing was ever said because viewers were none the wiser. I believe it was right before a late restart where he was going for win.
I like this. Exposing more TV Magic.

Man doesn’t have to worry about a place to live, since he lives rent free in so many peoples head.
The catch 22 of his haters losing their mind over how much attention he gets while also giving him a ton of attention/impressions is something else.

Bubba has given a lot to the sport in his short time so far. He truly is one of the best things to happen to NASCAR lately imo.

Oh please you know he's embracing it....the "noose" incident demonstrated that. Yes, it was a noose. But he did EVERTHING he could to make it a crime against him. Even when it was proven it was not.

As for the JG rebuff, just don't get that? Because it was Fox maybe? I'd think sponsors would not be too happy when he gets a chance to plug them and blows it off?
Wait a minute.

You’re pointing out that he brought unnecessary attention to himself and then is also declining unnecessary attention to himself.

This is dumb.

What should Denny be careful of?

Maybe he turned down the interview so the people who says he gets to much attention, would be happy he didn’t get attention.
When you are concerned about your performance you dont want a spotlight most times.

I mean Patrick took flak when she wouldnt answer questions on the grid walk. These are fierce compteotrs. Can you imagine right before the game getting in Tom Bradys face to ask him about the game?

I bet hed look through you too.

1619563396150.png

If you saw so many than why would it be odd when a driver declines or isn't paying any attention to make the big deal you are making out of it?
🙄. Because 99.99% of them do talk to MW or whomever wants to give them and their sponsor air time.

And I’m not making it a big deal. It was noted in the link I shared about Denny mad at his cash cow and I made mention of it since it’s unusual for a driver to decline air time for their sponsor...again if you didn’t understand it the first time.

Wait a minute.

You’re pointing out that he brought unnecessary attention to himself and then is also declining unnecessary attention to himself.

This is dumb.

What should Denny be careful of?
His ”victim” status last year vs too “focused” to do a quick word on TV for his sponsor. You know the diff. Don’t play dumb now....

My goodness Bubba is under a microscope. Every little thing he does gets Facebook's top investigators on the case ASAP, and it's leaking on to here.

It's the big time. I remember the intensity I felt when I won my first RF YFL championship in 2014.
I reckon It's the price that we pay for being born with so much talent.

Does anyone know if they have broke ground or started construction on Denny and Michaels 23x race team complex that they are building in Huntersville? It sounds like it is going to be one of the nicest and largest race shop facilities in NASCAR other then maybe Penske. I think the Penske shop is on 105 acres.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom