Carl Edwards says he has no regrets on retirement decision

Yeah, I was a youngster but as I recall it was shortly after guys like Fireball Roberts and Joe Weatherly were killed that guys like Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, and Fred Lorenzen retired relatively young.

Some who knew Joe Weatherly would tell you he had plans to quit after the season. He was already in his forties.

Anyone here old enough to remember Ned Jarrett's career? I know some are but most probably aren't. He's also a driver that retired as a top driver at an early age. What Carl's doing is not setting a precedent. What Carl's done has happened before for similar reasons.

Jarrett: There were a number of reasons that I got out as early as I did. One was that I vowed to myself early on that however far up the ladder I got, I would quit while I was there and not go down the other side. People have a tendency to remember the last thing you did and I didn’t want them to remember me as a has-been. Also, we didn’t know how long we could continue to race and how old we could be and continue to race and be effective. We were comparing ourselves to athletes in other sports. You get in your mid-30s and you start losing some of that athletic ability. I was 34 and although I felt like I still had some years left in me, I had broken my back the year before in ’65, but I continued to drive through that and won the championship. I don’t say that boastfully but that’s the way it was. I felt physically fit to continue on in ’66 and then Ford pulled out and it made me step back and take a look at the lack of security there was in the sport, for one thing. I was also missing out on a lot of things that my children had going on in their lives and I wanted to be a part of it. My daughter (Patti) was six years old. Dale was nine years old. My oldest son Glenn was fifteen. They were at the stages of their lives where they had a lot of things going on. I couldn’t be a part of their lives as long as I was running all over the country driving race cars. That factored into it as well.

Does there really have to be some sort of ulterior motive on Carl's behalf? Sometimes the story is really a non-story.

May be. But times are different. People usually don't up and quit a month before the start of the season. But some do, they usually play by their own rules. I'd say by November we will know if he hung it up for good or if something else is lined up (i.e. Dodge).

Yeah, I was a youngster but as I recall it was shortly after guys like Fireball Roberts and Joe Weatherly were killed that guys like Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, and Fred Lorenzen retired relatively young.

Some who knew Joe Weatherly would tell you he had plans to quit after the season. He was already in his forties.

I think you picked up on it but my point was that not long after Weatherly (and Roberts) were killed, several younger drivers retired.

Supposedly Roberts, in his mid-30's, was also considering retirement prior to his death.

I think you picked up on it but my point was that not long after Weatherly (and Roberts) were killed, several younger drivers retired.

Supposedly Roberts, in his mid-30's, was also considering retirement prior to his death.
I'm not sure but didn't Roberts have plans to not even drive the race, but did more so anyway?

We may have missed each other.............

Point is, or was, Johnson, Jarrett, et al, weren’t alone in that era with the thought of quitting. Get out before their number was called.

Weatherly waited too long.

It happens occasionally...

DLOokYc8UKM-fB9H4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

I'm not sure if he's going to race again or not, but I don't see why there has to be an underlying issue. I'm sure he's got enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life, so maybe he decided that being a husband and dad is more important than traveling 9 months a year to drive a race car. If that's the case, it's an admirable decision. No matter the reason, I hope it works out for him and he's happy with his decision.

Nico walked away from a toxic teammate situation. Maybe there were behind the scenes issues with other Gibbs drivers?

He probably did.

I like Mr. Ed but he's not exactly a choir boy.

I won't run the most recent one down because I believe in turning somebody to win. :D

And no matter how far back in ancient history it was, it's hard not to lol at Bob Keselowski who may or may not have suffered one too many knocks on the head.

And no matter how far back in ancient history it was, it's hard not to lol at Bob Keselowski who may or may not have suffered one too many knocks on the head.
It's not unreasonable for Bob Keselowski to be upset with Carl's actions at that time. He had been around long enough to know the difference between prima donnas in racing, which is entirely normal, and prima donnas that are dangerous in racing, like Carl Edwards. What part of that ugly situation was laughable?

It's not unreasonable for Bob Keselowski to be upset with Carl's actions at that time. He had been around long enough to know the difference between prima donnas in racing, which is entirely normal, and prima donnas that are dangerous in racing, like Carl Edwards. What part of that ugly situation was laughable?
Exactly! That entire situation was inexcusable IMO!

DW dropping hints about Edwards with a new team on the prerace? Meyers asked if Edwards would race again, and DW said something like he'd be perfect for a new team. Possible connection to new manufacturer?

Probably nothing, but slightly odd thing to say.

DW dropping hints about Edwards with a new team on the prerace? Meyers asked if Edwards would race again, and DW said something like he'd be perfect for a new team. Possible connection to new manufacturer?

Probably nothing, but slightly odd thing to say.
This has been in the works since Homestead of last year, Edwards to Dodge as the premier Dodge team driver.

Back
Top Bottom