Cars up close...

W

Ward Burton

If you have, which cars have you seen up close in person? ( showcars? )

I saw Bill Elliotts, Jeremy Mayfields ( MOBIL 1 ), Jeff Burton, Kyle Petty, Bill Elliotts ( MCDONALDS )...and Steve Park.

And I almost forgot...at the Kansas Speedway I saw Dave Blaneys, Casey Awoods, Dale Jrs, Bobby Labonte, and Jeff Gordons! :)

I had the chance to see Wards but I couldnt get there in time to see it... :(

Stewart's, Labonte's (both), Gordon's, Elliots, Benson, and Jr's.

Rudd.....Tide Ride
Martin....Valaviole
Earnhardt......goodwrench
Jerret.......ford qulity care
Jeff Burton.........bush car
spencher.......2003 (at dega)
Gordon........pepsi
hornady........dr peper

what about all 43 cars at dega? i was standed as colse to the track as i could get durring the race. :p i was catching, rubber, grass. parts of the track and duck tape allday. lol

There is a diecast shop here in New Jersey were the owner owns some Cup cars and trucks. Click here to check out the pics. I have also seen some show cars that have come around the area including Jeff Gordon's Flames and Pepsi cars and also Jimmie Johnson's Lowe's Power of Pride Car.

I have seen:
Sterlings Coors Dodge,
Mikeys Aarons chevy,
Dale Sr. GoodWrech Lumina...long time ago
the Petty #43 Lance Snack BGN car from a few years ago.
Rudd's #28 and #10
Dj's Quality Care T-bird
Went to Ford day in Indy a few years back so i saw alot of fords, and the unveiling of the current ford a few years back.
I seen sa few IRL cars, btu they don't have many show cars

At our WalMart last Summer they had the whole Coke family of cars there but I did not know untill it was too late and the cars were gone. I have NEVER seen Kyle of JB's cars!! :angry:

Hey Tiny,

Wonder what some of these kids would do if they spent some time working on the cars instead of sitting in the stands?

Also wonder if any of them realize that those show cars usually don't belong to the teams, but to a company who takes old cars, reskins and repaints them and charges the teams and sponsors for taking them around the country? The closest Jr. ever came to that Monte Carlo show car was probably about as close as the fans do when they walk around it. Same with all the rest of them.
Have a friend who owned his own garage business, raced locally for years. Sold the business and is hauling show cars around the country; says he's making more money doing that than he ever made in his own shop. Another friend has moved to Mooresville, opened a shop and is reskinning cars, making them over into show cars. He has a hard time keeping up with the demand, what with all the different paint schemes, sponsor and driver changes, etc; but he's loving every trip to the bank.

Quite a few actually. But the one I thought was the sharpest was Bobby Labonte's on display at Martinsville last fall. Good looking car.

I agree with Tiny...newbees...lol. I've been able to watch Happy Hour in the pits at Michigan for years. Try to stand close to were they come out from the garage area, or where they go into it. Have lots of nice pics. I won't be going back though, became to much of a hassle with NASCAR moving final practice in front of the Busch race. All the pit stalls were blocked off so more people in a tighter area & all the Busch crews had to fight the crowd to set up for the race...all the fans are just getting in the way now. That was one of the most stupidest things I've ever seen NASCAR do.

I am defenitly not a newbie to NSACAR!! I went to my first race around the age of 5 or67 (87-88). I been a Big fan since the early to mid 90s. So I been watching NASCAR for all my life, but understood it for the past 10-15 years.

Mooresville is the Disney land for NASCAR Race Fans

Every fan at some time in their lives must spend a few days in Mooresvile. The town is amazing! Most of the race shops allow fans to walk around and see the cars in various stages of production. I was fortunate enough to be invited to Michael Waltrip Racing and got my picture with the 99 Aarons Dream machine. Michael has a small shop (blue building on the right) on his property and is not open for tours.

dream_machine.jpg

He has a shop cam on his website so you can watch his team working on his cars.
Michael Waltrip Racing

Hendrick Motorsports allows you to wander all around their property and peak into all the shops. DEI on the other hand is restricted to the gift shop and front display area.

dale_3_car.jpg

Mooresville is only about 20 miles from Lowes Speedway. with 30+ race shops in the area. If you are a NASCAR fan, Ya Gotta go there sometime!

They will need to replace that picture of Steve Park soon...

Hey Sleeper...got a pic that is about the same as yours! I've been to the Taj Ma-Earnhardt. It was more of a shrine to his ego. His bathrooms probably cost more than my $140,000 home. Also went to Joe Gibbs, Roush, Hendrick & Brett Bodine Racing while I was down in Charlotte.

The only shop you actually saw guys working on cars, getting them ready for a race & wasn't a big 'show for the fans'...was BBR.

The best had to be Richard Petty's 1976 Firecracker 400 car in Daytona, got to sit in it and everything...pretty darn cool no matter how old you are and even better for a 5 year old!

:salute:

Originally posted by 17_Fan@May 14 2003, 09:19 PM
Hey Sleeper...got a pic that is about the same as yours!  I've been to the Taj Ma-Earnhardt.  It was more of a shrine to his ego.  His bathrooms probably cost more than my $140,000 home.  Also went to Joe Gibbs, Roush, Hendrick & Brett Bodine Racing while I was down in Charlotte. 

The only shop you actually saw guys working on cars, getting them ready for a race & wasn't a big 'show for the fans'...was BBR.
Brett is a nice guy. The company I used to work for hosted an on-line chat with him and I got to talk to him for an hour. Too bad about his marital problems. He has enough trouble keeping good help on his budget.

Hendrick Motorsports was great! You can see just about everything (except the engine shop) and it was all FREE! Petty wants to charge you $3 to see his old cars. No shop tours.

For anyone interested in touring race shops, check out this website: Race Shop Guide

:salute:

Well I haven't been as lucky as some of you. The only cars I seen was several of Richard Petty's when he was Grand Marshall at a parade here in town several years ago.

Gollum was suppose to bring me Ward's car back from Dega but I guess he forgot... :lol:

I guess living in charlotte has spoiled me I've seen many racecars up-close. when I was 17 I helped push one of Dale Sr.'s cars back in the triailer. The 2 weeks of the winston and the 600 is like heaven for a nascar fan in charlotte, everywhere you go you'll see cars. and on top of that you have speedstreet up-town all next week

Originally posted by Sleeper@May 15 2003, 09:46 AM
Hendrick Motorsports was great!  You can see just about everything (except the engine shop) and it was all FREE!  Petty wants to charge you $3 to see his old cars.  No shop tours.
That was just the #25 shop though. All you could see of the #24/#48 shop was the front noses of a dozen or so fully assembled cars while looking through a chain link fence that looked like you were at a hockey rick.

JGR & Roush you were aable to see the same thing as #25 shop.

Golly gee !!! To think I blew right by this thread until boB pointed it out.
As I understand meaning of the comments from both Tiny and boB, they wonder how fans would react to actually working on a Winston Cup team or being associated in some other capacity if they find so much excitement in the mere sight of a Winston Cup show car or taking a tour of a race team facility.

To enthusiasts like Tiny and boB, anyone with less than twenty years of actual hands-on asssociation in racing, including the Winston Cup series might be a "newbie".

Guys like Tiny and boB are used to being involved directly with the sport and because of that type of contact in different forms of racing, accept thier involvement as an everyday occurance. To them, seeing a race car and being involved raises the pulse rate, but the sight of a show car or a visit to a team race shop causes little or no variation in blood pressure or excitement level.

There are so many "late bloomer fans" involved in the sport, it is harder and harder to find fans from another era. That is, the era of Tiny and boB. To some people, a "newbie" is someone with less than ten years as a fan. For others, it is someone who knows the sport from an experience that can only be gleened with time, yet many consider a "newbie" to be someone who knows less about the sport than they do and the length of time as a fan has no bearing on the final analysis.

Both Tiny and boB have both been around so long they cannot get the grease from under thier fingernails. Tiny got his shooting races and bob wasn't happy if he wasn't rolling around in the dirt under a race car. Of course, for those of you who have never seen Winston Cup cars race on dirt might miss the point here. But for those of us old enough to remember those scenes, you are "newbies". Keep in mind, it is all relative.
The "newbies" who are too young or not fans long enough to recall those days considered those of us who do, "old fartz". And someday, if you remain fans after the next sport craze takes the place of NASCAR, yes, you too could graduate from being "newbies" to the worldly(?) status known as "old fartz". Isn't that something to look forward too ??? :D

Back
Top Bottom