Cayuga cancelled

Oh well, I've never been there, but I vote for Delaware too. I'd go there with advance notice. I'm still kind of surprised they couldn't pull off moving this years race there.

I can't blame ARCA for just canceling it, it was pretty short notice. They announced the cancellation almost exactly one month before the scheduled Cayuga race.

Doesn't really have anything to do with ARCA but I have a Cayuga update. I was at the Auto Value Bumper to Bumper winged sprints at Delaware Speedway tonight. The series commentator mentioned that within the last 48 hours they were talking to the new owners of Cayuga(I think Santucci has only been the owner for about a year so do they mean him or a newer owner?) and that this series has a tentatively scheduled race at Cayuga for July 11. I also noticed that IMSA hasn't removed Cayuga from their schedule yet, so maybe their sprint car weekend will still happen. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Doesn't really have anything to do with ARCA but I have a Cayuga update. I was at the Auto Value Bumper to Bumper winged sprints at Delaware Speedway tonight. The series commentator mentioned that within the last 48 hours they were talking to the new owners of Cayuga(I think Santucci has only been the owner for about a year so do they mean him or a newer owner?) and that this series has a tentatively scheduled race at Cayuga for July 11. I also noticed that IMSA hasn't removed Cayuga from their schedule yet, so maybe their sprint car weekend will still happen. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Although I have heard someone was ready to pull the trigger on buying the place, I suppose we can't tell whether they mean "new" owner, or Santucci himself.

So is that the first time you were at Delaware? Please comment on it's potential as a suitable (or not) location for an ARCA race.

So is that the first time you were at Delaware? Please comment on it's potential as a suitable (or not) location for an ARCA race.

Yeah, that was my first time there. They ran sprint cars on friday and NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Saturuday. I was very impressed by that place. I had heard that they fixed the place up a lot this year for the Canadian Tire Series race and you could really tell. The pit road was completely repaved and some portions of the track was repaved. They have a lot of seating there they have 3 grandstand sections and empty hill on the sides where people set up their lawn chairs. It is a good size track for ARCA(1/2 mile). I think it is the nicest facility i've been to in Canada, Cayuga is probably the worst(Although Cayuga is pretty nice). ARCA has a history there with the ARCA trucks and before Cayuga, Delaware was the most recent Canadian track for the Remax Series. It is very close to ARCA HQ. Seems like the perfect place for them to run in Canada. The only problem was they didn't have enough room for parking, cars were parked along the road outside of the track.

Thank you Toledo for the report on Delaware Speedway. Sounds very interesting. Speaking of those Auto Valu Sprints, we finally have another change to Cayuga's website!! They have the same press release (word for word) ARCA ran on their website announcing the cancellation of the race.

Cayuga claims to be racing July 11th and 12th. They still appear on the schedules of both Auto Valu Sprint series (Satuday) and ISMA (Sunday). I don't know, do either or both of these organizations have a history of gullability? :D

If this really happens, I'll think about it. But probably not.

Thank you Toledo for the report on Delaware Speedway. Sounds very interesting. Speaking of those Auto Valu Sprints, we finally have another change to Cayuga's website!! They have the same press release (word for word) ARCA ran on their website announcing the cancellation of the race.

Cayuga claims to be racing July 11th and 12th. They still appear on the schedules of both Auto Valu Sprint series (Satuday) and ISMA (Sunday). I don't know, do either or both of these organizations have a history of gullability? :D

If this really happens, I'll think about it. But probably not.

Yeah I saw their website too. I really hope they get something going there this year but I don't know. If they try to do online ticketing for that i'd imagine they would get zero sales, after the crap they've been pulling who would give them any money ahead of time?

Yeah I saw their website too. I really hope they get something going there this year but I don't know. If they try to do online ticketing for that i'd imagine they would get zero sales, after the crap they've been pulling who would give them any money ahead of time?

Come to think of it, they even ripped us off last year. I bought both days of the Arca weekend, tickets were $20 per day for me, and $10 per day for my boy (who was 8 at the time). And there was a $5 per ticket surcharge for a total of an extra $20 on the $60 order. Worse than Ticketmaster for pete's sake.

But good point. If this thing really happens, no way in heck I'd pay ahead of time. I'm quite certain it won't sell out. ;) And they'd better plan on having some more stuff booked. The ISMA website says a 50 lap race. What will that be, 45 minutes tops?

The website has changed again. Just speculation, but I think there may be new owners right now. The banner on the top of the website says "The sleeping Giant awakens". The speedway logo seems to have changed, although I can't remember what the old one looked like. (By the way, the Internet Archive has zero search results for cayugamotorspeedway.ca; it would be funny to see what the website looked like 6 months ago when they promised 8 or so race weekends). Almost all the old "corporate partners" have been removed from the right hand side of the main page. And now, the ARCA race cancellation press release is back up on the website. Could all mean nothing, but someone has definitely been fiddling with the thing. :D

The speedway logo seems to have changed, although I can't remember what the old one looked like.

It is the same logo that they used before last year except it just says Cayuga Speedway instead of Cayuga Speedway Park.

It is the same logo that they used before last year except it just says Cayuga Speedway instead of Cayuga Speedway Park.

I just noticed they also call themselves Cayuga International Speedway. And the sponsors on the right hand side of the page have grown. No tickets yet, but it looks like we have a race weekend. And woohoo! Pony rides!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I honored my reservations made before Christmas 2008, and had a little weekend get away in the vicinity of Cayuga Speedway. I drove past the silent speedway about 1:00 PM. I'm pretty sure the race was supposed to be 1:30. They would have had a hell of a time getting the race in, as it rained on and off all day in Southern Ontario. Brings up an interesting question though, When is the last time ARCA had to race on a Monday?

I remember a long weekend in Atlanta in 2000 that ended the season. The race was rained out on Saturday along with the cup race on Sunday. ARCA ran after the cup race on Monday afternoon.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I honored my reservations made before Christmas 2008, and had a little weekend get away in the vicinity of Cayuga Speedway. I drove past the silent speedway about 1:00 PM. I'm pretty sure the race was supposed to be 1:30. They would have had a hell of a time getting the race in, as it rained on and off all day in Southern Ontario. Brings up an interesting question though, When is the last time ARCA had to race on a Monday?

I doubt ARCA would rain one of their races to a Monday unless it was at a big NASCAR track. Cayuga does have lights, they would probably try all day. If it did rain out it would probably be rescheduled to another weekend or just cancelled.

I doubt ARCA would rain one of their races to a Monday unless it was at a big NASCAR track. Cayuga does have lights, they would probably try all day. If it did rain out it would probably be rescheduled to another weekend or just cancelled.

ARCA was ready to run the New Jersey 150 on a Monday if they hadn't have been able to get the first 60 laps in.

ARCA was ready to run the New Jersey 150 on a Monday if they hadn't have been able to get the first 60 laps in.

ARCA should have had wet weather tires anyway. That is what the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series does and it is a comprable series to ARCA.

ARCA should have had wet weather tires anyway. That is what the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series does and it is a comprable series to ARCA.

But remember, ARCA uses Hoosier. I asked them before the race about rain tires and that was out of the question. I knew for months it was going to rain because just about every race I go to gets rained out. :rolleyes:

But remember, ARCA uses Hoosier. I asked them before the race about rain tires and that was out of the question. I knew for months it was going to rain because just about every race I go to gets rained out. :rolleyes:

When we ran at Watkins Glen in 2001 ARCA was prepared for the rain. Some of the cars had wipers and a blower set up for the inside of the windshield. A big front came in on Friday and frank Kimmel went out in the rain and ran some hot lap on the rain tires. Hoosier was using the dirt tires for a rain tire and according to Frank they worked well.

I remember a long weekend in Atlanta in 2000 that ended the season. The race was rained out on Saturday along with the cup race on Sunday. ARCA ran after the cup race on Monday afternoon.

Oh my bad. After I posted that, I realized ARCA rarely runs on Sundays. But a good point made, Cayuga has lights, and probably would have tried all day and into the night. Cayuga however, has no track dryers. They do have a big tractor tire they drag around on the track though. And this was even when they had money. :D Glad I could get a little discussion going about ARCA and rain-outs and rain tires though, very interesting.

Cayuga however, has no track dryers. They do have a big tractor tire they drag around on the track though.

Well it is possible that they could rent a track dryer for a big event like ARCA(although very unlikely obviously). ARCA rents a track dryer(I think from KY Speedway?) for the ARCA races at Toledo.

Oh, Cayuga update again. They really are having two race weekends this year, but apparently I wasn't the only one speculating there were new owners. Santucci's still the man. He just found someone to lease the track out to for the two events: June 25th Hamilton Spectator article

Oh, Cayuga update again. They really are having two race weekends this year, but apparently I wasn't the only one speculating there were new owners. Santucci's still the man. He just found someone to lease the track out to for the two events: June 25th Hamilton Spectator article

Thats good the track is going to be getting some use this year but what is the deal with their pricing?
"Camping for the weekend is available at $100, and a weekend pass is $75. A race-day ticket will cost $45."

What a rip off. $100 for camping? It was free last year. Race day ticket $45? Wasn't the tickets for ARCA and Canadian Tire Series like $30? And those are much bigger events than IMSA. I think this event will be a huge failure, overpriced, not enough time to promote(the open wheel weekend is next week), there is also big competiton nearby that weekend. The return of Toronto Indy after a year or 2 off is that same weekend. Good luck to Cayuga...

Thats good the track is going to be getting some use this year but what is the deal with their pricing?
"Camping for the weekend is available at $100, and a weekend pass is $75. A race-day ticket will cost $45."

What a rip off. $100 for camping? It was free last year. Race day ticket $45? Wasn't the tickets for ARCA and Canadian Tire Series like $30? And those are much bigger events than IMSA. I think this event will be a huge failure, overpriced, not enough time to promote(the open wheel weekend is next week), there is also big competiton nearby that weekend. The return of Toronto Indy after a year or 2 off is that same weekend. Good luck to Cayuga...

I guess those prices are a little off in the article. The Cayuga website says $25 for a camp site, not $100. A Sunday race day ticket is $35. And yes, I only paid $20 for ARCA last year. They've apparently given up on online sales, and at this point only list one location for pre-race tickets, a bar near Hamilton.

From Supersprints.com "This Saturday's Supersprint event at Cayuga has been officially canceled. We jointly apologize to the great Canadian fans for any inconvenience this may cause. We are already talking about a HUGE open wheel show in 2010. I want everyone to know that this was not an easy decision by either party. The management at Cayuga has been GREAT to work with but we just had to many obstacles to get through to put on a first class supersprint event on Saturday. Tom"

From Supersprints.com "This Saturday's Supersprint event at Cayuga has been officially canceled. We jointly apologize to the great Canadian fans for any inconvenience this may cause. We are already talking about a HUGE open wheel show in 2010. I want everyone to know that this was not an easy decision by either party. The management at Cayuga has been GREAT to work with but we just had to many obstacles to get through to put on a first class supersprint event on Saturday. Tom"

Man, these people are killing me!! :eek: Looks like the announcement was made Monday July 6th, on the Auto Value Bumper to Bumper Sprints website. Cayuga has no announcement, but it's clear they are looking for a race on Saturday.

WTF? At those prices Cayuga probably only needs to sell 500 tickets. Oh well, it looks like Delaware races on Friday nights. Maybe they can bring in a few classes at Cayuga. Maybe Santucci will be in the pits at Delaware tonight attempting to recruit drivers. :D

Man, these people are killing me!! :eek: Looks like the announcement was made Monday July 6th, on the Auto Value Bumper to Bumper Sprints website. Cayuga has no announcement, but it's clear they are looking for a race on Saturday.

WTF? At those prices Cayuga probably only needs to sell 500 tickets. Oh well, it looks like Delaware races on Friday nights. Maybe they can bring in a few classes at Cayuga. Maybe Santucci will be in the pits at Delaware tonight attempting to recruit drivers. :D

Yeah it is pretty bad. The event is tommorow and they haven't announced what will run. I figured this event would be a failure anyway(because lack of promotion and better races going on at TorontoIndy and St-Eustache) but if they don't even know whats running at this point it is really going to be a bad turn out of fans.

Yeah it is pretty bad. The event is tommorow and they haven't announced what will run. I figured this event would be a failure anyway(because lack of promotion and better races going on at TorontoIndy and St-Eustache) but if they don't even know whats running at this point it is really going to be a bad turn out of fans.

Thanks for the heads up T-47! I was able to pass the word along to the Cayuga Facebook group (run by a fan, not the track), where no one seemed to know about the cancellation. It's 8:00 AM on Saturday, and there's nothing on the website saying if there are races today.

So I actually called the track at about 10:30 AM, and the very Canadian sounding woman on the other end says there is no racing today, and it's going to rain all day, eh? And they still have concerts tonight, eh?

Thanks for the heads up T-47! I was able to pass the word along to the Cayuga Facebook group (run by a fan, not the track), where no one seemed to know about the cancellation. It's 8:00 AM on Saturday, and there's nothing on the website saying if there are races today.

So I actually called the track at about 10:30 AM, and the very Canadian sounding woman on the other end says there is no racing today, and it's going to rain all day, eh? And they still have concerts tonight, eh?

Yeah i'm sure the rain is just an excuse because they couldn't find anything to race there today. I'm sitting here at St-Eustache, QC and the skies do look pretty scary but no rain yet. I don't know when their saturady race would've started but if it would have been earlier in the day they probably could have gotten it in.

Yeah i'm sure the rain is just an excuse because they couldn't find anything to race there today. I'm sitting here at St-Eustache, QC and the skies do look pretty scary but no rain yet. I don't know when their saturady race would've started but if it would have been earlier in the day they probably could have gotten it in.

ended up getting rained out here at St-Eustache anyway...

The Cayuga website claims they had some sort of truck race scheduled for Saturday, but it was "rained out" (I don't believe it rained after 2:00 PM).

The ISMA show actually happened. I couldn't care less who won, and I don't want to see any pictures of the racing. All I want to see is a picture of the Grandstands. So I did find one: http://www.ismasupers.com/2009_Photos/5-CAYUGA-7-12/600-ISMA-Cayuga-09_1321.jpg
Of course that could have been the entire crowd. :p

Oh, sorry to hear about the rain out in Quebec.

The Cayuga website claims they had some sort of truck race scheduled for Saturday, but it was "rained out" (I don't believe it rained after 2:00 PM).

The ISMA show actually happened. I couldn't care less who won, and I don't want to see any pictures of the racing. All I want to see is a picture of the Grandstands. So I did find one: http://www.ismasupers.com/2009_Photos/5-CAYUGA-7-12/600-ISMA-Cayuga-09_1321.jpg
Of course that could have been the entire crowd. :p

Oh, sorry to hear about the rain out in Quebec.

Yeah, the Cayuga rain out. Sounds like BS to me. Why couldn't they trucks just run sunday morning? Maybe they had the trucks lined up for a later date already and just said they rained it out so the track wouldn't look bad. I figured the crowd would be terrible. They need to get the promoter from St-Eustache to do races for them, that track knows how to sell an event. I have been there for 3 Canadian Tire series races and they get tons of people in there every time, and they add extra seating everytime.
At St-Eustache it didn't rain again til almost 9:00pm, the race had an 8:00pm start time. They could have gotten qualifying, practice, all local races, Rev-Star race and some of the Canadian Tire Series race in if they had just waited a while. The weather was looking pretty bad at the track on Sunday too, not long after being on the road after the race it did start to rain. They got lucky this time, they should have learned from their rained out last year(last year the 8:30pm Saturday race was cancelled sometime before noon, then again on Sunday it rained out and had to be rescheduled to another weekened. They got the race in, it was the Canadian Tire series debut for Jacques Villeneuve. His weekend could not have gone much worse.

Yeah, the Cayuga rain out. Sounds like BS to me. Why couldn't they trucks just run sunday morning? Maybe they had the trucks lined up for a later date already and just said they rained it out so the track wouldn't look bad. I figured the crowd would be terrible. They need to get the promoter from St-Eustache to do races for them, that track knows how to sell an event. I have been there for 3 Canadian Tire series races and they get tons of people in there every time, and they add extra seating everytime.
At St-Eustache it didn't rain again til almost 9:00pm, the race had an 8:00pm start time. They could have gotten qualifying, practice, all local races, Rev-Star race and some of the Canadian Tire Series race in if they had just waited a while. The weather was looking pretty bad at the track on Sunday too, not long after being on the road after the race it did start to rain. They got lucky this time, they should have learned from their rained out last year(last year the 8:30pm Saturday race was cancelled sometime before noon, then again on Sunday it rained out and had to be rescheduled to another weekened. They got the race in, it was the Canadian Tire series debut for Jacques Villeneuve. His weekend could not have gone much worse.

I can hear raceline radio, a Canadian weekly one hour motorsports show. (don't know if they stream it on the web) I figured they'd mention Cayuga, but nothing. They mentioned The Canadian Tire series for about a minute, talking about Villenueve's unfortunate less than one lap day. :eek: Then they talked about the Honda Indy for the remainder of the show.

So this St-Eustace isn't exactly the west end of Montreal. :D Their website doesn't even have an English section. Were you able to effectively communicate?

Oh another crowd shot of Cayuga on the Canadian Vintage Modifieds home page: http://www.vintagemods.com/images/doubleheaderwinnerss.jpg

So this St-Eustace isn't exactly the west end of Montreal. :D Their website doesn't even have an English section. Were you able to effectively communicate?

They had an English website last year but they removed it, they didn't update it often so I guess they figured it was pointless. They did have English versions of information for ordering Canadian Tire Series tickets this year. When I call to order they manage to get someone on the phone that can speak enough English to help. Other than that the only communicating I need to do when i'm in Quebec is ordering at restaurants. It isn't much of a problem.

They had an English website last year but they removed it, they didn't update it often so I guess they figured it was pointless. They did have English versions of information for ordering Canadian Tire Series tickets this year. When I call to order they manage to get someone on the phone that can speak enough English to help. Other than that the only communicating I need to do when i'm in Quebec is ordering at restaurants. It isn't much of a problem.

Oh yeah, once you're out of Montreal in Quebec no one speaks English. Of course you have to drive through these places to get to Montreal. :D

Anyways, I'm still yapping about Cayuga. They obviously pulled off the ISMA/Canadian Vintage Modified race. Their website at the time claimed they were going to bring in "NASCAR Legends", in August, and I'm sure Rusty Wallace was listed. Well, no more, he's showing up at a 3/8 mile dirt track 50 miles east of Cayuga, Humberstone Speedway Nothing to see there yet though, it's only been announced on their facebook group. "August 23rd, 2009 Humberstone Speedway will be hosting Nascar Legend Rusty Wallace, Kenny Wallace, Dave Blaney and Jimmy Spencer.
Rusty will guest announce, while the others will be competing in the 358 Dirt Modified 50 Lap Race."

Only about 25 miles from my house, and I've been there about 1/2 dozen times. I suppose I'll go, although the prospect of Standing Room Only at a local dirt track doesn't exactly excite me.

So I'm sure that's all she wrote for Cayuga in 2009. I remember reading in 2008 that it was a 3 year contract, and ARCA I believe almost always has 3 year contracts with tracks. Hey, you never know for Cayuga 2010. :eek:

So I'm sure that's all she wrote for Cayuga in 2009. I remember reading in 2008 that it was a 3 year contract, and ARCA I believe almost always has 3 year contracts with tracks. Hey, you never know for Cayuga 2010. :eek:

I don't think ARCA ever wants to do anything with Cayuga again. Cayuga messed up bad. They are not going to get ARCA again, and I doubt they will get Canadian Tire Series again. It seems like the Canadian Tire series tracks that i've been to get great crowds(Cayuga had the worst Canadian Tire series crowd i've seen). The only track on the Canadian Tire series that has 2 dates is St-Eustache and they get awesome crowds in there. Their races outside of Ontario and Quebec do great too. They had a race on Wednesday in Saskatoon that sold out the weekend before the race. I've heard good things about their crowds at other tracks too. I think Cayuga screwed themselves this year, no more big series want to come back. I guess they could probably get an ASA late models event again...

I don't think ARCA ever wants to do anything with Cayuga again. Cayuga messed up bad. They are not going to get ARCA again, and I doubt they will get Canadian Tire Series again. It seems like the Canadian Tire series tracks that i've been to get great crowds(Cayuga had the worst Canadian Tire series crowd i've seen). The only track on the Canadian Tire series that has 2 dates is St-Eustache and they get awesome crowds in there. Their races outside of Ontario and Quebec do great too. They had a race on Wednesday in Saskatoon that sold out the weekend before the race. I've heard good things about their crowds at other tracks too. I think Cayuga screwed themselves this year, no more big series want to come back. I guess they could probably get an ASA late models event again...

Well now the official company line on the Cayuga website is that Rusty Wallace NASCAR night is "moved" to Humberstone Speedway (who themselves announced it about 3 weeks ago). Well, I'll certainly be watching the continuing drama on the Cayuga website.

By the way, I think the 2008 ARCA race is really where Cayuga lost their ass financially, and sent the ownership group into turmoil. You and me both know there were only 3-4,000 people there (about 500 for qualifying and the truck race). Payouts on the ARCA website are listed as $141,000. Oh well, I did my part by buying 4 or 5 Carlings at $4 apiece. :beerbang:

The place is a joke. It's a nice track, largest oval in Canada, but they really need to get somebody that can run the place. I'd really like to see them get some big races again like the Canadian Tire series but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The place is a joke. It's a nice track, largest oval in Canada, but they really need to get somebody that can run the place. I'd really like to see them get some big races again like the Canadian Tire series but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

It's an OK track, I wish it had more banking. :D But yes, nothing too spectacular is going to happen with current ownership, or the promoter they leased the track to for what surely was their only event of 2009. I think ISMA is about the best their going to do until the track is sold.

Back
Top Bottom