Chad Knaus To Jimmie Johnson: Damage Car In Case Of Talladega Win

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Now this is interesting! What's your thoughts on this? Do you believe Chad? Do you think that there's anything to this?

Audio of this conversation is within this link located about mid-story.

A recording of Knaus and Johnson's conversation captures the crew chief telling his driver to intentionally crack the back end of the No. 48 car if he was to win Talladega.

Oct 26, 2011 - Chad Knaus told driver Jimmie Johnson to intentionally damage the back end of his race car if the No. 48 team won Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, the crew chief acknowledged Wednesday.

Knaus admitted giving the five-time NASCAR champion the pre-race instructions in order to "cover our bases" in case 500 miles of bump-drafting knocked the car beyond NASCAR's strict tolerances. Officials likely would have accepted the damage as an excuse if the No. 48 car had not fit NASCAR's templates in post-race inspection.

The conversation between Knaus and Johnson occurred when the crew chief leaned inside the No. 48 car before the race to give Johnson some final words of encouragement. Because Johnson's in-car camera was live on NASCAR.com's RaceBuddy application, the chat was broadcast to anyone watching the feed at the time.

The orders were recorded by a fan (who preferred to remain anonymous for fear of backlash from Johnson supporters) and obtained by SBNation.com.

"If we win this race, you have to crack the back of the car," Knaus could be heard telling Johnson on the recording. "Got it?"

"Really?" Johnson replied, sounding surprised.

"Yes," Knaus said. "Got it? You don't have to have to hit it hard, you don't have to destroy it. But you've gotta do a donut and you've gotta hit the back end, or somebody's gotta hit you in the ass-end or something. OK?"

After Johnson responds with apparent silence (he can't be heard saying anything else), Knaus added, "You'll be alright. Can't take any chances."

When asked Wednesday whether the conversation indicated Knaus was trying something fishy on the back of the car, the crew chief replied, "I don't think that's a fair assessment."

"To be honest with you, here's the deal – racing at Talladega is tough, and I think everybody understands that," Knaus said in a phone interview. "You run 500 miles at 200 miles per hour, and you're bump-drafting and you're beating on one another, and it's real easy for these cars to get outside of tolerance.

"It's a tight tolerance that we're held in. It doesn't take much to be a few thousands (of an inch) off and have NASCAR raise an eyebrow. Just being proactive, I just told Jimmie, 'Look, man – we've just got to make sure there's a tire mark or some type of visible damage.' Just because cars do move when you race them like that."

NASCAR allows a small tolerance beyond the exact measurements specified in the rulebook, and race teams try to use as much as possible without crossing the line.

Officials have warned teams who decide to live dangerously by pushing the limits, and Knaus said restrictor-plate races are stressful for crew chiefs because they can alter the cars more than planned.

"You don't really know how some of that stuff happens from time to time – especially at a place like Daytona or Talladega," he said. "... We all know how sensitive superspeedway racing is to everybody, and when you go into those races, you're nervous about everything.

"From a crew chief's standpoint, there's a lot of things that are said quickly and maybe out of anxiety that don't even mean much."

Knaus said the car was inspected three times prior to the Talladega race – the initial inspection at NASCAR's Research and Development Center, a pre-qualifying inspection and post-qualifying inspection – and passed each time.

In addition, he said it was the same car Johnson used in the spring Talladega race. Johnson won that event, so the car (which was undamaged) was taken back to the NASCAR R&D Center for an extra look.

NASCAR rules are stricter than ever, with severe penalties handed out to those who go too far outside the box – as Michael Waltrip Racing found out on Tuesday after bringing illegal windshields to Talladega.

Knaus has been on the wrong side of the NASCAR law in the past, too. But he said his comments to Johnson were out of concern that a legal car would be bump-drafted beyond the tolerances.

"It's a tight championship Chase," Knaus said. "Everybody's trying to get into it, everybody's trying to do the best they can for their team and their organization. And to try to cover a base, I just threw that out there. We didn't need it anyway, so it doesn't really much matter."

I can see where people could be upset about this, but I can also see where his explaination makes a lot of sense. It would be a shame to win the race and have NASCAR penalize them because of the bump drafting damage.

That is interesting but not surprising. I can understand Chadski's concerns because a few milimeters can mean a huge penalty.

Does it indicate that he was cheating? All I can say is that his car passed pre-race inspection so probably not. But this is one of the reasons that Jimmie-Chad has been so successful. They cover all of the bases.

Kinda reminds me of Ol' DW blowing his motor after winning the All-Star race in 1985. Many conspiracy theorists felt that the engine was illegal and that DW was told to detonate it after the race.

I remember Denny wrecking his Pocono front end and Kyle doing the same at 2 races. Everyone in the garage was saying it was suspicous that 2 talented drivers keep wrecking their cars after wins.

I think it's interesting Only the rear of the car was mentioned? You mean all that shoving and pushing never effects the Front end tolerances ;);)

I think it's interesting Only the rear of the car was mentioned? You mean all that shoving and pushing never effects the Front end tolerances ;);)

Here's what I thought. If you want an advantage at Talladega, you would try to LOWER the spoiler and reduce drag. Bumping and banging RAISES the spoiler, so I think Chad knew the camera was live because of the red light and he decided to play some head games. Like he said, it passed inspection 3 times already.

This is something he and JJ would have discussed days ago, so JJ wouldn't have acted like he didn't know what Chad meant if it was serious.

It make sense really, I mean do y'all remember what happened to Clint Bowyer last year? His car was found to be out of tolerance and NASCAR slapped him with such a large penalty that he was knocked out of contention for The Chase.

Apparently Chad was trying to avoid the same situation here.

I bet I know what they'll be taking about in the drivers meeting Sunday. NASCAR can't be too happy with the dialog between Chad & Jimmie. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some new celebration rules announced soon. IMO this is something that needed to be said well before the race to Jimmie and not over the radio.

Saw this somewhere.....

Best victory celebration

1.) Carl's victory back-flip
2.) Kyle's victory bow
3.) Jimmie Johnson's victory destruction-of-evidence?

Here's what I thought. If you want an advantage at Talladega, you would try to LOWER the spoiler and reduce drag. Bumping and banging RAISES the spoiler, so I think Chad knew the camera was live because of the red light and he decided to play some head games. Like he said, it passed inspection 3 times already.

This is something he and JJ would have discussed days ago, so JJ wouldn't have acted like he didn't know what Chad meant if it was serious.

Or Chad made "Adjustments" during the race that made the car a little faster but also made passing Tech questionable and needed to let his driver know.

My understanding was that this was not picked up on camera but by a Fan monitoring the radio transmissions.

Yeah, it's a shame that Mike Wallace had to wreck the back of his car because he was PUSHED all day...oh wait......HE DIDN'T

Or Chad made "Adjustments" during the race that made the car a little faster but also made passing Tech questionable and needed to let his driver know.

My understanding was that this was not picked up on camera but by a Fan monitoring the radio transmissions.

"Because Johnson's in-car camera was live on NASCAR.com's RaceBuddy application, the chat was broadcast to anyone watching the feed at the time.
"
The fan recorded it from racebuddy.

Luke 12:2 states "There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known"

Chad, your cheating is well documented and is now even more out in the open.

I have lost any sense of respect for this idiot.

Chad is known to be a cheater so it wouldn't surprise me if was again. I can understand his "reason" that he gave but it sounds a little fishy to me. In the end though it doesn't matter because JJ was no where close to the win.

Cheating is part of the business imo. If it ain't inspected, or within tolerances then you must with today spec cars.

Nascar not being happy with Chad is understandable. Two opposing Agendas, one to push the limit the other to enforce. But each having a respectable mission.

I believe Chad is a good CC but not using more discretion was dumb. Some communications need be face to face only in a non recordable manner. Never to be transmitted over the air, by an email or fax, remembering to CYA with no traces.

He had the whole weekend to tell Jimmie face to face prior. If a last minute change forces a radio message, then speak in code only, a pitcher and catcher does it with every pitch.

I thought the incident with Bowyer was after he was hit by a tow truck (an appeal RCR lost), not after Talladega.

Again, this story smells.

even if chad were having fun with the audience, nascar is sure to over react.

on the bright side, made it will end the lame a$$ burnouts!:D

Sounds like Chad being normal. He has said it before he likes nothing more than to make everybody worry about what hes doing cause then they don't worry about what they are doing. Now we will hear about this all week on all the NASCAR show and Lowes gets a ton of free advertising.

Thanks for playing along.

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying!

Amen, brother! lol Honestly though, if you think there isn't a SINGLE TEAM out there that doesn't push every limit they can find, and some times a little over, think again! If you are not doing this you might as well pack it up and go home.

Odd, Jimmie won the race in April and didn't wreck his car.

Something smells.

I aint sayin' Chad's story is true...it is BELIEVABLE, but I aint sayin' either way...HOWEVER, points mean a whole heck of a lot more right now than they did when JJ won the first 'dega race. Beside that, if Chad's story is true you would only try that one time and when it matters most.

It doesn't really matter. NASCAR would just confiscate the questionable section/parts, send them to R&D and look the other way (just like last year).

Sounds like Chad being normal. He has said it before he likes nothing more than to make everybody worry about what hes doing cause then they don't worry about what they are doing. Now we will hear about this all week on all the NASCAR show and Lowes gets a ton of free advertising.

Thanks for playing along.

That's what I'm leaning toward. Chad isn't the sloppy, last minute type to lean his head in a window and lay that on his driver just before the race.

I aint sayin' Chad's story is true...it is BELIEVABLE, but I aint sayin' either way...HOWEVER, points mean a whole heck of a lot more right now than they did when JJ won the first 'dega race. Beside that, if Chad's story is true you would only try that one time and when it matters most.

I think your driver/team bias is in the way.

He was slamdrafted to victory in April, he did not wreck the car, his car did not fail inspection. In fact, nobody has failed inspection over slamdrafting.

Either Chad was joking and this whole thing is overblown (and I hope that's the case) or there was something illegal in that car and, if he won, it would've been found. Wouldn't be the first time Chad's, um, stretched the rules.

I think your driver/team bias is in the way.

He was slamdrafted to victory in April, he did not wreck the car, his car did not fail inspection. In fact, nobody has failed inspection over slamdrafting.

Either Chad was joking and this whole thing is overblown (and I hope that's the case) or there was something illegal in that car and, if he won, it would've been found. Wouldn't be the first time Chad's, um, stretched the rules.

Oh everyone is stretching the rules in motorsport, it's the nature of the business.

I have it all figured out. Chad lost his freakin' mind that day! How else can you explain him forcing Jimmie and Jr. to ride in the back until it was WAAAAYYYY too late to get a decent finish? Did he not know it would be three wide in front of Jimmie for the last 20+ laps? How exactly do you move to the front when it's three wide in front of you? Magic? :owquitit:

I could care less about the bumper conspiracy, he passed tech and that's all that matters.

NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp has issued a statement in response to SB Nation's story Wednesday about Chad Knaus' instructions to Jimmie Johnson to intentionally damage the No. 48 car if he won Sunday's Talladega Superspeedway race.

Here is Tharp's statement in full:

"We became aware of this piece of audio this morning and certainly want to get all the facts before making an opinion and reaching any conclusions. We'll visit with the parties and pull all the facts together best we can.

"While Talladega is done and the No. 48 was not the winning or random car, we certainly have an interest in getting the facts straight on behalf of the balance of the competitors."

Saw this elsewhere.....

Chad's directive was slicker than the MWR crew chiefs' directive of "If you win, get out and throw this brick through your windshield."

Oh everyone is stretching the rules in motorsport, it's the nature of the business.

Guess RULES and ETHIC have no place in racing, NASCAR should drop the rules and simply, "run what you brung", the B/S of all cars need to be equal simply sucks, if you can build a better vehicle fine, win the crap out of races, as the other statement goes, " if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the front porch"

UPDATE: NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp has issued a statement in response to the story: "We became aware of this piece of audio this morning and certainly want to get all the facts before making an opinion and reaching any conclusions. We'll visit with the parties and pull all the facts together best we can. While Talladega is done and the #48 was not the winning or random car, we certainly have an interest in getting the facts straight on behalf of the balance of the competitors." Though officials might be steamed at Knaus, it might be difficult for NASCAR to issue a penalty in this situation. While Knaus may have intended for Johnson to wreck the back of the car had the 48 team won the race, nothing ever actually happened. NASCAR will likely tell Knaus it's not happy with his intentions, however.(SB Nation)(10-27-2011)

UPDATE: NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp has issued a statement in response to the story: "We became aware of this piece of audio this morning and certainly want to get all the facts before making an opinion and reaching any conclusions. We'll visit with the parties and pull all the facts together best we can. While Talladega is done and the #48 was not the winning or random car, we certainly have an interest in getting the facts straight on behalf of the balance of the competitors." Though officials might be steamed at Knaus, it might be difficult for NASCAR to issue a penalty in this situation. While Knaus may have intended for Johnson to wreck the back of the car had the 48 team won the race, nothing ever actually happened. NASCAR will likely tell Knaus it's not happy with his intentions, however.(SB Nation)(10-27-2011)

dpkimmel2001

He beat you to this by about 3 hours in the same thread.

I would like to clear the air here.

This is significant when we are talking about what Chad told Jimmie.

Jimmie Johnson and Dale JR's whole strategy was to hang in the back and at a key point run to the front and win the race. This didn't work out.

For you who believe this didn't work because there were so many other cars out there, you are dead wrong.

Jimmie's car began to over heat, and they had to switch. If this hadn't happened, their strategy may have worked. And to those who say it couldn't have worked because there were so many other cars in front, I say this:

If Chad was cheating big time, they may have had the capacity to drive past everybody. We didn't get to see this, because Jimmie's car overheated.

I want everybody to read this and understand THE CAR OVERHEATED.

So many people here and elsewhere don't even understand what actually happned, and why the 48 and 88 ended up where they did.

Jimmie Johnson and Dale JR's whole strategy was to hang in the back and at a key point run to the front and win the race. This didn't work out.

For you who believe this didn't work because there were so many other cars out there, you are dead wrong.

Jimmie's car began to over heat, and they had to switch. If this hadn't happened, their strategy may have worked. And to those who say it couldn't have worked because there were so many other cars in front, I say this:

If Chad was cheating big time, they may have had the capacity to drive past everybody. We didn't get to see this, because Jimmie's car overheated.

So many people here and elsewhere don't even understand what actually happned, and why the 48 and 88 ended up where they did.

Kinda funny how blind some ppl really are

WOW, you are misinformed sir. I was listening to their radios the whole race. Yes, Jimmie did get something on his grill right at the end of the race, but it never actually overheated they were just concerned that it "might."

WOW, you are misinformed sir. I was listening to their radios the whole race. Yes, Jimmie did get something on his grill right at the end of the race, but it never actually overheated they were just concerned that it "might."

Jimmie on Race Hub said they had to change spots. Last night's race hub I think.

Back
Top Bottom