Changes to NASCAR driver biometrics, roofhatch & rear spoiler height

Don't know why this is news. It was already announced like 4 months ago.

What had somehow escape my attention was this note from the second article on that page, the one concerning changes to the number of tires:
Another change for this season is that teams must start the race on the same set of tires they used in qualifying.
Depending on the track and tire wear, would there be cases when starting 13th or 14th would be an advantage if your tires had three or four fewer laps on them? I know this has been the case in X for years, but I never paid attention to that factor before.

Not a fan of the tire deal. It over complicates something that NASCAR already has over complicated - qualifying.

This would be irrelevant if they did what they should be doing and only ran single lap qualifying, but noooooo.

It really doesn't matter to me either way. I do think having three rounds is a better measure of how the cars will perform once the race starts, with or without knocking any cars out.

Some point out that the current method can result in a car on the pole that isn't the 'fastest'. That depends on whether you measure 'fastest' over one lap or multiple.

If this was the most disturbing change made in the last 15 years, I'd be grateful.

Back
Top Bottom