Cheap shot by Ed Carpenter............

JW1

Team Owner
-----I attended the race, Sunday, but I finally got to sit down and watch what I had taped on my TIVO. I caught what I had missed at the race.
-----I was rather shocked by the comments that Ed Carpenter made to James Hinchcliffe after their collision. He said, "It's a good thing you have a concussion or I'd punch you in the face and give you one." Or something close to that affect.
-----I thought it was kind of a cry baby thing to say. Hinchcliffe had established position on the inside of Carpenter back on the straightaway and Townsend Bell pushed him down into Hinchcliffe. Carpenter was crying because Hinch went three wide. Going three wide happened all day. So, I can't see what he was complaining about. He should have been mad at Bell for cutting down into him.
-----I sure lost a lot of respect for Carpenter after that.

And then… we got to James Hinchcliffe and Ed Carpenter. On Tuesday before the race, front-row starters Hinch and Ed enjoyed having some playful banter in Milwaukee. But on Sunday, the two collided in Turn 1as Townsend Bell made it through on the outside.

Luckily, the immediate frustration of both drivers being out on the spot on Sunday shifted back to pleasantries and banter when these two took the stage to accept their prize money.

Hinchcliffe was introduced by a Justin Bieber song (songs were picked based on the driver’s native country or hometown… Hinch is Canadian), and the “Mayor” promptly ripped on the selection committee for the choice.

Asked whether he and Carpenter had kissed and made up, Hinch replied, “Soft lips. Soft lips. You’re a lucky woman, Heather (Carpenter, Ed’s wife).”

But Carpenter got the last laugh when he came up next. “His check isn’t big enough; if it was, he’d have proposed,” Carpenter joked, which sent the room into an uproar. “Sorry how it worked out, Kirsten.”

Seriously, INDYCAR, get these two a show soon…

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...aughs-at-indy-500-victory-awards-celebration/

And now you know the rest of the story.

Its in the heat of the moment and it was Hinch's fault
Technically it was Townsend Bell's fault. He didn't know they were three wide and forced Carpenter down while Hinch was trying to come through.

Carpenter has always had a big mouth. His stepfather is an opinionated idiot too but at least he's always been quiet in public.

I understand Carpenter was hot or frustrated, and he had the right to be. But has he physically ever given a concussion to anyone?
There are a lot of psuedo tough guys in the world, and talk is cheap. If he had simply vented it would been more acceptable to me.

But once he started talking about whipping ass, absent of an actual demonstration he automatically qualified himself as cheap and lame. Not even over compensating since no real action or deed was attached to the boast.

Between the two, I have greater respect for Hinch.

I'm with Hinchcliffe. I understand Carpenter is the pride of Indy, but Hinch is just a boss. And his girl is just so damn fine.

Also, it was a racing deal, I doubt there is any lasting ill-will. If Ed held a grudge over this, I would call him delusional.

I agree with a previous poster, it was said in the heat of the moment. Carpenter was pissed because he had a really good car & a definite legitimate shot at the victory. It's the Indy 500, i'd have been pissed too no matter how it happened. I mean think about it, Indy's only a once a year deal & how often has a driver showed up with a car good enough to win year in & year out...

I agree that hinchcliff was established when carpenter was punted down into him by bell, and agreed that carpenter bitched out the wrong guy and owes someone an appology

I agree that hinchcliff was established when carpenter was punted down into him by bell, and agreed that carpenter bitched out the wrong guy and owes someone an appology
-----That's what I thought. It was no different than Franchitti coming down on Takuma Sato a few years ago on the last lap of the Indy 500. No one said anything because it was Franchitti. Sato had a little to say, but was courtious about it. But you could tell he got reamed. I would have been upset if I were Sato.
-----But it was the concussion comment that I thought was a cheap shot. If you want to be upset in the spur of the moment, OK. But I don't think Carpenter should have been as mad at Hinchcliffe as he should have been at Bell.
-----But, that's just my .02. :)

I felt that Bell was made his move and had the momentum (I was watching him and not the others). The one in the middle (Carpenter?) was trying to go around the bottom car but had to contain his move because Bell was there. He should have backed off but at that point in the race everyone was going for everything they could get. I call it a racing incident.

I felt bad for Carpender and Hinch has a history of incidents. I was impressed with Bell's day - felt bad for him spinning out by himself.

Hinchcliffe should not have forced the issue, in my opinion. He knew Bell was ahead of him on the outside and he wasn't going to clear Carpenter before Turn 1.

I think it was just racing. 20 laps to go in the biggest race of your life. It is time to go and a least be within striking distance of the leader.

Stuff happens. Hinch could have let the two have the corner, Carpenter could have realized the middle was no mans land etc, but imo it was to late to compromise. With 20 to go you start taking and hope for the best.

Still the same talking crap about Hinches concussion was cheap imo.

words don't hurt.....unless ya on a lib blog site.
wreckin a potential indy 500 winnin car does hurt.

good ta see ed win texas tonite.

Back
Top Bottom