Childhood Role model

4tires17gals

Team Owner
I loved Jeff Gordon. That's why I picked the rainbow plates user name. I have never to this date seen a car so beautiful in hum,an history. I went to Dover in 1996 and purchased his shoes by when Racing authetics made full apparel.

Never considered any sports figure or celebrity to be someone that is looked up to as a role model. For me, it's my grandfather. Served in Europe during WWII. After the war, came home and worked his ass off to provide for his family and allow my grandmother to stay at home with their three kids. Once I was born, he practically helped my parents raise me and went above and beyond what was expected for his other grandkids as well.

I loved the cartoon network and Chad Little as a role model albums of cars and always wanted to be a NASCAR driver but my parents were scared of injury pre hans pre safer

I loved Jeff Gordon. That's why I picked the rainbow plates user name. I have never to this date seen a car so beautiful in hum,an history. I went to Dover in 1996 and purchased his shoes by when Racing authetics made full apparel.

I never had a role model as a child but if I did I am sure it would have had to have been someone I had known.

The reason kids latch on to sports figures and celebrities as role models is because it ignites their imagination and fantasy, that is what being a kid is all about. Who didn't grow up wanting to score the game winning touchdown while getting cheered on by tons of fans? Or saving the day and beating the bad guys like so many of our movie heroes have? When you're a kid, things like going off to war, working, putting food on the table for your family, etc. don't usually cross your mind. You don't develop a sense of what all of that even means until you're much older. At that time, a change in role models may occur. There's a reason these people are expected to remain as P.C. as possible in the public eye, and why they're torn to shreds when they aren't.

I can't think of a driver I wanted to 'be like' growing up. The only sports figure I really admired was Mike Alstott. I dreamed of being an NFL fullback who could actually run the ball, and he was the best example at the time. I chose #40 on most sports teams for him. This dream carried me as far as third string on the Middle School football team lol.

Never considered any sports figure or celebrity to be someone that is looked up to as a role model. For me, it's my grandfather. Served in Europe during WWII. After the war, came home and worked his ass off to provide for his family and allow my grandmother to stay at home with their three kids. Once I was born, he practically helped my parents raise me and went above and beyond what was expected for his other grandkids as well.
I agree I looked up to my dad and grandfathers who served proud
Sadly Due to medical reasons I could not also enlist

Not sure if they were role models but they were my heroes.

Malcolm Smith (motorcycle racer)
Jimmy Clark (Grand Prix driver who won at Indy with the Wood Bros as his pit crew)
Greg Noll (surfer)
A.D Wintle ("the last Englishman") - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Wintle

and the guy in my pic.....

In racing, Mark Martin. He was always graceful. He didn't drive dirty. He never complained. But, he was as competitive as the rest. I liked Darrell Waltrip, John Andretti and Ricky Rudd a lot too. Waltrip would always face adversity with laughter. If he had a bad day, he's just crack a joke about it and move on.

As for John Andretti, he had some amazing paint schemes in 2001 and 2002.

6121038233_e239b079e9_b.jpg

566071.jpg

1661843.jpg

589451.jpg

I can't think of a driver I wanted to 'be like' growing up. The only sports figure I really admired was Mike Alstott. I dreamed of being an NFL fullback who could actually run the ball, and he was the best example at the time. I chose #40 on most sports teams for him. This dream carried me as far as third string on the Middle School football team lol.

Alstott was a runner, a blocker and a hammer.

In racing, Mark Martin. He was always graceful. He didn't drive dirty. He never complained. But, he was as competitive as the rest. I liked Darrell Waltrip, John Andretti and Ricky Rudd a lot too. Waltrip would always face adversity with laughter. If he had a bad day, he's just crack a joke about it and move on.
I guess I would have to say Martin also...... even though I wasn't in my childhood when I started following him in the mid 80's..... as I see it now.... in my later years..... my childhood hero is without a doubt..... my dad and mom.... following racing has always been a big part of my life....... but...... it pales to what my parents accomplished with very meager means.

****. I suppose I'm young compared to a lot of users on this forum. My first NASCAR role model was JJ, which led me to be a fan of his. His composure, professionalism, ability to wheel a racecar. He is the real deal. He is who I'd wan to be if I'd been given the ability to wheel a racecar.

As far as actual role models go, my pops was the ****. He passed about 2 years ago. He knew right from wrong, and was damn sure that I would know such as well. I miss him something fierce.

I never had anyone famous I considered a role model, I thought that was silly when I was kid, still think its silly today, the closet I had to a role model I would say , like above, my dad.

Ivan Mauger definitely. It's all I wanted to do.

I spent many a Friday night at the OC Fairgrounds when the local heroes were Bill Cody, Sonny Nutter and Mike & Steve Bast.

. I think the only time I saw Mauger race was at Ascot on the 1/2 mile.

Back
Top Bottom