CHMSL For Superspeedways

rose62

Spectator
Perhaps this has been suggested before, but I've never seen it. How about a "CHMSL" for the speedways? A high mounted stop or braking light activated not by the brake pedal but by rapid deceleration? That way the driver couldn't play games with it but drivers further back in a pack would see braking far ahead in case of a pile-up.

I think rapid deceleration wouldn't work very well. You have to remember when you start measuring accelerations it gets messy because accelerations change throughout cornering.

Didn't they do something with a brake pressure activated light for road courses this upcoming season? That seems like a lot better idea.

Didn't they do something with a brake pressure activated light for road courses this upcoming season? That seems like a lot better idea.
Yes.

The lights will be activated by the ECM when it “sees” actual hydraulic brake pressure.

I think rapid deceleration wouldn't work very well. You have to remember when you start measuring accelerations it gets messy because accelerations change throughout cornering.

Easily overcome, I imagine.

Other than slugging the wall, how is rapid deceleration achieved without stepping on the brake pedal?

Other than slugging the wall, how is rapid deceleration achieved without stepping on the brake pedal?
The point being that when the "big one" starts, drivers are hard on the brakes and generating a lot of g's. This would switch on the light. However, if the light is actuated by the pedal itself simply trail-braking thru the corner would activate it. And crews would play games with it to deceive other teams.

You repeated your first post but you didn’t answer my question.

In every top-level motorsport accelerometers are used in testing and development. This same kind of device could be used to detect a unusually great deceleration that would switch the light on. The actual braking components would not be connected to the light at all.

I’m aware of all of that.

Again, how would an unusually great deceleration be created without use of the car’s braking system?

The cars would of course be braking, heavily. Am I mistaken that currently there are no provisions for any kind of brake light at the big tracks? And that drivers are unable to detect hard braking of cars ahead until too late? All my suggestion would achieve is a split second of earlier detection of a wreck. It's very common for cars directly behind a wreck to avoid it only to be hit from behind by others unaware that an accident is happening.
I can only assume that my efforts at communicating are ineffective.

The cars would of course be braking, heavily. Am I mistaken that currently there are no provisions for any kind of brake light at the big tracks? And that drivers are unable to detect hard braking of cars ahead until too late? All my suggestion would achieve is a split second of earlier detection of a wreck. It's very common for cars directly behind a wreck to avoid it only to be hit from behind by others unaware that an accident is happening.
But all of this could more easily be solved using a brake pressure activated switch over an accelerometer. One could argue that the brake pressure switch would provide a faster warning being that you need to apply the brakes with significant pressure in order to achieve deceleration.

popcorn-muncher.gif

Frustrating, isn't it.
I don't necessarily agree with the light, but it's not too hard to understand your thinking behind it not being braking activated.
Good luck.
Carry on.

Back
Top Bottom