Chris Cornell - RIP

Yep. Signs are pointing to suicide. He left behind three kids - ages 16, 13, 12.

Tragic. I can't even comprehend it :(

No way!

Soundgarden really got me into Grunge at one time, this is terrible to hear.

Chris Cornell, Curt Cobain, Scott Weiland, and Layne Staley are all dead! Crazy how all the legends of Grunge are dying off!

No way!

Soundgarden really got me into Grunge at one time, this is terrible to hear.

Chris Cornell, Curt Cobain, Scott Weiland, and Layne Staley are all dead! Crazy how all the legends of Grunge are dying off!

Cornell's death has really shocked me. Weiland and Staley I expected, it was just a matter of when.

Awful news.His voice was incredible.I had the pleasure to him on a solo tour and with Soundgarden.So friggin sad.:(

Last edited:
For my money, Soundgarden were the best band of the 90s who made the best rock album (Superunknown), and Cornell was the most talented vocalist. What a bummer. RIP.

they said it was after a show. Really makes you wonder what was going on.

Sounds like to me it was a side effect of the drug Ativan he was taking that caused him to take his life.

The widow of Chris Cornell, Vicky, has issued a new statement on the death of her husband. In this new press release, Vicky and the Cornell family’s attorney believe the prescription drug Ativan could have contributed to Chris Cornell’s death.

Chris Cornell died on May 17 shortly after a performance in Detroit. The Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office has ruled Cornell’s death as “suicide by hanging,” but Vicky believes the ruling could be premature, as toxicology tests on Cornell’s body have not yet been completed.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise,” Cornell family attorney Kirk Pasich argued in his own statement Friday. “Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”

Ativan is used to treat seizure disorders, but can also be used in regular doses to relieve anxiety. Potential side effects of the drug include paranoid or suicidal ideation and can impair memory, judgement and coordination.

“Chris’ death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled,” Vicky adds. “As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband. He was my best friend. His world revolved around his family first and, of course, his music, second. He flew home for Mother’s Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children. When we spoke before the show, we discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do. When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him. What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life.” [via UPI]

Cornell left behind three children aged 16, 12 and 11. The rock world has been paying tribute to Chris Cornell ever since the news of his death was made public. Stay tuned to Loudwire for further updates on the passing of Soundgarden’s iconic frontman.

Read More: Chris Cornell's Widow Says Ativan May Have Contributed to Death | http://loudwire.com/chris-cornell-widow-ativan-may-have-contributed-to-death/?trackback=tsmclip

I have spent a lot of time this week on youtube rehashing the beginning of grunge
and all its pioneer artists. Its really quite a story. Cornell definitely had one incredible voice.
Never knew of Andy Wood and his impact till this past week. Cornell was just the coolest of cool.

Back
Top Bottom