Christopher Bell Appreciation Thread

Yes I’m here for this. I’ve been on the Bell bandwagon since his first year of Xfinity for Gibbs.

Since the sport’s return, Bell has five finishes of 11th or better, including his first career top five in the first race of the Pocono doubleheader last weekend. His only DNF since May 17 was for a crash in the second Pocono race.

But it hasn’t been enough to dig himself out of the cellar of the owner point standings and achieve his “No. 1 goal” of getting to the 24th spot. The way the random draws are done, being 24th in owner points would allow Bell to start anywhere between 13th and 24th.

“It’s crazy … I ran fourth for Pocono 1 and then I looked at the points and I didn’t make any headway at all because I’m pretty sure (Michael) McDowell ran eighth and the guys that I’m racing in points, it seems like whenever I have a good day, they have a good day too,” Bell said.

Through 15 races, Bell is 26th in owner points. He trails McDowell by three points and fellow rookie John Hunter Nemechek, who is 24th, by 17 points.

Well, he's doing better than Cold Custard now...

Sob.

Both of those rookies Bell and Custer are not in the draw for starting positions. Reddick and Nemechek are and with a good draw can start as high as 13th. Big advantage.

Both of those rookies Bell and Custer are not in the draw for starting positions. Reddick and Nemechek are and with a good draw can start as high as 13th. Big advantage.

IMO JHN deserves the nod for ROY for doing the most with the least.

Bell has 17 points to gain over the field to get into the draw is what I am looking at. If they keep drawing for spots, that's significant. It's a race within a race thing.

CONCORD, N.C. (July 9, 2020) – Leavine Family Racing welcomes aboard Germania Insurance as a primary sponsor on the No. 95 Toyota Camry. Germania Insurance, based out of Brenham, Texas, has been providing coverage to the Lone Star State for more than 120 years and makes their first foray into NASCAR as primary sponsor. The multi-year agreement includes several primary races and associate sponsor positioning. The partnership will continue into the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season.

1594310487651.png

CONCORD, N.C. (July 9, 2020) – Leavine Family Racing welcomes aboard Germania Insurance as a primary sponsor on the No. 95 Toyota Camry. Germania Insurance, based out of Brenham, Texas, has been providing coverage to the Lone Star State for more than 120 years and makes their first foray into NASCAR as primary sponsor. The multi-year agreement includes several primary races and associate sponsor positioning. The partnership will continue into the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season.

View attachment 47883
That's a nice looking car.

Somehow I missed this thread. I have been on the Bell wagon for over 5 years...since his USAC and other sprint car days.

Awesome for Leavine Family Racing! I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for the shoe to drop on WHOS gonna drive the 20 next year. I really hope Erik works out a deal at gibbs to stay there. I think there is so much potential for him.

I will be behind the #20 regardless. I’m completely fine if Bell is tapped to jump into the car next season... what a talent Chris is... he’s doing amazing things in the 95 this year.

Any team would be incredibly lucky to have either of these two drivers in their ride.

HUGE for Bell! This will be exciting to watch if he gets a couple top 15(13th-15th) starts...

with the speed and showmanship he’s displaying this season, this is simply huge!

I really don't think if Bell and Jones switched cars that Bell would improve to make top 15.

I really don't think if Bell and Jones switched cars that Bell would improve to make top 15.

Im not sure how it would play either tbh... but Bell has shown some great speed during races, driving inside the top 10 various times already. I do think the potential is there for him to be a top runner consistently.

Should’ve added this to the thread a few days ago. But nonetheless, what a moment... Bell taking his first checked flag in Xfinity a year ago!

Hide n watch. I would bet they are going to burn the Jones boy and put Bell in the 20. The mother ship can't and doesn't want to control more than one cup organization with a full effort. Too expensive. Bell gets into one of their grail cars and he will pick up. Like I predicted the 95 is a junk ride and is getting very little support because they don't want to spend the money but Bell in his rookie year is on track to match Dibenedetto's numbers

Last edited:
I agree. I'm gonna be honest, I'm NOT impressed by Bell. I don't want to jump the gun here, but I expected a lot more. Jones outperformed him as a rookie in that car.

Frankly, Bell may not be cup ready yet. No, he's not getting JGR speed, but he wouldn't be running much better in the 20 right now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Im not sure how it would play either tbh... but Bell has shown some great speed during races, driving inside the top 10 various times already. I do think the potential is there for him to be a top runner consistently.
No doubt. I just think he's not nearly as close to it as we may have thought at this point.

Jones outperformed him as a rookie in that car.

Do we have a typo here? Jones was never in that 95 Junker but was driving for what then was a well funded satellite team of Barney Visser. That's like comparing walking to flying IMO.

I feel like the LFR team situation is going to force this whole thing more than we all originally anticipated...

Toyota is not going to want Bell to get away... so there’s anxiety or pressure there... moreso than a few weeks ago.

the up and coming driver I feel is always gonna get the benefit of doubt in a situation like this.

I do think if Erik had more time, he will come into his own and take off in the 20. Some guys just need extra time for things to play out. I mean look at Bowman. A couple years ago it seemed like he may not show the potential he had... but man has he had some good drives since then...

if Erik can win this season, sooner than later... I feel that might get him the advantage. If there’s no win, and I hate to even think about it.....but missing the playoffs. I’m thinking that gives the 20 over to Bell

I’m a fan of both guys, but I don’t want one to be dumped on. So I’m backing both of them, and Erik is a helluva driver, just as Bell is...

both guys have so much potential. It sucks theyre in this deal where one has to be chosen over the other...

I feel like the LFR team situation is going to force this whole thing more than we all originally anticipated...

Toyota is not going to want Bell to get away... so there’s anxiety or pressure there... moreso than a few weeks ago.

the up and coming driver I feel is always gonna get the benefit of doubt in a situation like this.

I do think if Erik had more time, he will come into his own and take off in the 20. Some guys just need extra time for things to play out. I mean look at Bowman. A couple years ago it seemed like he may not show the potential he had... but man has he had some good drives since then...

if Erik can win this season, sooner than later... I feel that might get him the advantage. If there’s no win, and I hate to even think about it.....but missing the playoffs. I’m thinking that gives the 20 over to Bell

I’m a fan of both guys, but I don’t want one to be **** on here. So I’m backing both of them, and Erik is a helluva guy, just as Bell...

both guys have so much potential. It sucks theyre in this deal where one has to be chosen over the other...
Can't be sure but I have heard it said for awhile from the gosip crowd that Toyota has invested millions in Bell. If so I would think they have a multi year agreement with Bell to keep him. I remember last year when Bell was asked where he was going he said I don't know but I am going somewhere. That sounds like he had a contract, was under a salary and he was going to get paid wherever he went to me. What does Jones have? nothing right now when he is asked about it. Handwriting is on the wall as far as I am concerned. Jones better get his people to find him another ride. He can do a hell of a lot better than the 95 and so could of Bell unless he was getting paid well.

The one thing I see from both Bell and Jones is it is all or nothing. I am going by what Bell did in Xfinity and driving a top car. He went for the win every time and if he didn't have the car, he crashed out.
Jones for a couple of years has had great JGR cars BUT does he have the CC he needs.
They seem to be a hit or miss car on set ups. I don't think Jones will be to bad off if he got picked up by another good team. I would like to see him in the #14.

The one thing I see from both Bell and Jones is it is all or nothing. I am going by what Bell did in Xfinity and driving a top car. He went for the win every time and if he didn't have the car, he crashed out.
Jones for a couple of years has had great JGR cars BUT does he have the CC he needs.
They seem to be a hit or miss car on set ups. I don't think Jones will be to bad off if he got picked up by another good team. I would like to see him in the #14.
yeah i agree, Jones seems to be a solid driver. He doesn't make many mistakes, keeps the car clean. But I don't think he has the fire to be number one right now, maybe later. I think Bell will give them hell from the start. He has a lot to learn but he has speed and fire. 7 wins one year in Xfinity and that is with goof ball down there sniping wins whenever possible is a pretty good resume.

yeah i agree, Jones seems to be a solid driver. He doesn't make many mistakes, keeps the car clean. But I don't think he has the fire to be number one right now, maybe later. I think Bell will give them hell from the start. He has a lot to learn but he has speed and fire. 7 wins one year in Xfinity and that is with goof ball down there sniping wins whenever possible is a pretty good resume.
Bell had the advantage of those cheated up JGR cars and Kyle to set them up.

Can't be sure but I have heard it said for awhile from the gosip crowd that Toyota has invested millions in Bell. If so I would think they have a multi year agreement with Bell to keep him. I remember last year when Bell was asked where he was going he said I don't know but I am going somewhere. That sounds like he had a contract, was under a salary and he was going to get paid wherever he went to me. What does Jones have? nothing right now when he is asked about it. Handwriting is on the wall as far as I am concerned. Jones better get his people to find him another ride. He can do a hell of a lot better than the 95 and so could of Bell unless he was getting paid well.

it’s wild, the guy IN the seat right now is actually at a disadvantage as to keeping the seat... odd how that can work in the racing world.

The situation has Eriks back to the wall... I feel like a quick surge of a performance is what it’s going to take for him to keep the 20... by default I just feel the driver ‘waiting in the wings’(Christopher Bell) always has little to loose and everything to gain in times like this.

and the 20 having up and down performance this year isn’t on the driver but I fear that it really doesn’t matter at all when Toyota has put some many of their ducks in Bells corner.

I’m just trying to look at it fair from both sides, but I feel this LFR turn of events, is honestly the first, second, and third dominos to fall in this whole story, and it’s yet to be truly noticed by many... I feel Jones didn’t want to read that news about the 95 this past week...

If and when Bell jumps into the 20, I do think it could be fun times... but as I mentioned earlier... I think Erik has all the tools to really take off and do big things in the 20 as well, if given more time

yea, a little bit of that could be the situation itself playing a part on jones this season... realizing the pressure knowing he needs some home runs or grand slams to keep the spot could lead to that all or nothing stuff... Hard to really speak for him about that stuff though, only Erik and the team would be able to speak there I guess.

Maybe even a little of that for Bell too... wanting to capitalize on his potential and future plans...

Both guys swinging for the fences, one trying to prove he should stay in his place, the other proving they’re the best option to take the place...

Do we have a typo here? Jones was never in that 95 Junker but was driving for what then was a well funded satellite team of Barney Visser. That's like comparing walking to flying IMO.
Yeah I'm getting mixed up. For some reason I'm thinking of both rides as satellite teams and used them interchangeably..my mistake

I’m looking for a strong showing from Bell this weekend! I do think some of the intermediate tracks play to his skill set best. Kentucky was good for him in a Cup car, even tho different than New Hampshire... I feel they’re fairly comparable. Go get em man!

That Xfinity #20 looks gooooooddd in these photos... might see a Rheem 20 in Cup soon :cool::growl:

I’m looking for a strong showing from Bell this weekend! I do think some of the intermediate tracks play to his skill set best. Kentucky was good for him in a Cup car, even tho different than New Hampshire... I feel they’re fairly comparable. Go get em man!

That Xfinity #20 looks gooooooddd in these photos... might see a Rheem 20 in Cup soon :cool::growl:

some of the re-tweets are hilarious sometimes. Every body is saying go Bell, or you can do it. Down at the bottom is: You ain't no Cole Custer :biggrin:

some of the re-tweets are hilarious sometimes. Every body is saying go Bell, or you can do it. Down at the bottom is: You ain't no Cole Custer :biggrin:

haha, I guess that’s fairly mild compared to other things we see there.

“Twitter gonna’ Twitter”...

Well, loosing ground in the points has terribly showed itself in the qualifying ‘draw’ this week...

Starting 35th. Might as well be in another zip code when it comes to a track like Loudon. Leaders tend to get away fast and track down the rear starters :(

Yea the starting spot didn’t play into the finish yesterday. Bell had such a good car running top five and top 10 for a bit again. The finish is what speaks tho... I think he will do awesome things in Cup soon

The problem with 4 car teams is there always seems to be one team that's the weakest link and not getting the attention of the others. It was Hamlin before the crew chief change, and now it's Erik. Chris Gayle is quite possibly the worst strategy crew chief in the garage, and constantly puts Erik in situations where he has to drive from mid pack. Couple that with the weekly dumb pit penalties his crew causes, and it's easy to see that there are more issue so then just the driver. But Gibbs being Gibbs they'll throw Jones under the bus instead of trying a new CC first. If I'm Erik and I can get the 48 or another premier ride I leave asap

The problem with 4 car teams is there always seems to be one team that's the weakest link and not getting the attention of the others. It was Hamlin before the crew chief change, and now it's Erik. Chris Gayle is quite possibly the worst strategy crew chief in the garage, and constantly puts Erik in situations where he has to drive from mid pack. Couple that with the weekly dumb pit penalties his crew causes, and it's easy to see that there are more issue so then just the driver. But Gibbs being Gibbs they'll throw Jones under the bus instead of trying a new CC first. If I'm Erik and I can get the 48 or another premier ride I leave asap
Eric may not have any choice but go ride hunting now unless he thinks he has more to offer than Bell.

but who do you put in the 48 if that’s the case?
That is a question for Jeff Gordon the majority owner of the 48.
I am sure Rick and Jeff can come to an agreement.
On the other hand Rick could shut down the Team and start up the #5 again
or just run 3 cars. I wouldn't be the least surprised to see HMS go back to 3 cars
until a season after the Gen 7 cars are racing.

Back
Top Bottom