CocaCola 600 Pre-Race Thread

This is my favorite weekend of the year -- Indy AND the 600. My family knows to not call me on this particular day. LOL
I have a nephew's birthday party on Indy 500 Sunday (Coke 600 Sunday). Second year in a row this has happened. Not happy at all. There are a few Sunday's that a sacred to me each year: Daytona 500 Sunday, WrestleMania Sunday, Memorial Day Weekend Sunday, and Southern 500 Sunday.

I'm Wilkesboro'd out. Back to the regular season schedule........ and its back with a Crown Jewel. One of my favorite races and weekends of the year. Lets go.
Yeah, my wife already said "I'm burnt out, no to 600." I told her not to worry as it was all but sold out anyway. We'll grill, party at pool, pay our respects to our veterans and watch on tv.

Yeah, my wife already said "I'm burnt out, no to 600." I told her not to worry as it was all but sold out anyway. We'll grill, party at pool, pay our respects to our veterans and watch on tv.
Thats the way to do it, I've never had a bad time at my house watching a race while having the grill going. Especially if there's a pool involved.

Thats the way to do it, I've never had a bad time at my house watching a race while having the grill going. Especially if there's a pool involved.
Our neighborhood pool opens this weekend. Too cold of water for my old behind, but the kids love it and I'm always cool with a hot grill and cold beverage with my neighborhood friends.

If I could procure an inflatable screen and adequate projector, it would be an awesome pool party and/or bonfire opportunity. I used to love 600 day and grilling with my dad when I was younger as we lived in Rowan county and were somehow right in the flyover flight pattern for the fighters. We could usually grill and look up and see the planes turn and burn towards the speedway during the anthem. Saw F22s, F15s, Stealth Bomber once...

If I could procure an inflatable screen and adequate projector, it would be an awesome pool party and/or bonfire opportunity. I used to love 600 day and grilling with my dad when I was younger as we lived in Rowan county and were somehow right in the flyover flight pattern for the fighters. We could usually grill and look up and see the planes turn and burn towards the speedway during the anthem. Saw F22s, F15s, Stealth Bomber once...
an outdoor tv is next for my outdoor oasis, sounds like you got a hell of a one yourself. I gotta figure out how to hang on the back wood paneling of my house. Then I can just stream from Ipad to smart TV

an outdoor tv is next for my outdoor oasis, sounds like you got a hell of a one yourself. I gotta figure out how to hang on the back wood paneling of my house. Then I can just stream from Ipad to smart TV
I must stress it's the neighborhood pool, not my backyard. I just have a place for my solo stove and a covered area with a Blackstone. :XXROFL: :cheers:

But I would love to hang a tv in the corner of the awning area as you said and be able to watch games and races out there.

This will be my second Memorial Day in Utah. Love racing starting at 6am and being done by 9pm.

Too bad our beer laws suck lol

This will be my second Memorial Day in Utah. Love racing starting at 6am and being done by 9pm.

Too bad our beer laws suck lol

I wish the Truck Series or IndyCar would get a shot at Utah Motorsports Campus. It’s a world class facility, shaded seating, Pocono style frontstretch longer than Road America.

I wish the Truck Series or IndyCar would get a shot at Utah Motorsports Campus. It’s a world class facility, shaded seating, Pocono style frontstretch longer than Road America.

I know I keep hoping something comes this way. I think it will with this area expanding massively as one of the the fastest growing states the last 30 years. SLC is perfect. 5 hours from Vegas and 5 hours from Denver it would definitely draw from those areas as well.

We have the Supercross championships and that was nearly sold out (45k) a couple weeks ago. Of course dirt bikes are HUGE out here so tough comparison on how Indycar or NASCAR would do.

I think as long as NASCAR is doing 2 races a year in Vegas it's a tough sell to get a series in Utah. My buddy and I went to Vegas last year for the race and loved it we're making it an annual tradition.

I know I keep hoping something comes this way. I think it will with this area expanding massively as one of the the fastest growing states the last 30 years. SLC is perfect. 5 hours from Vegas and 5 hours from Denver it would definitely draw from those areas as well.

We have the Supercross championships and that was nearly sold out (45k) a couple weeks ago. Of course dirt bikes are HUGE out here so tough comparison on how Indycar or NASCAR would do.

I think as long as NASCAR is doing 2 races a year in Vegas it's a tough sell to get a series in Utah. My buddy and I went to Vegas last year for the race and loved it we're making it an annual tradition.

There’s a fair amount of fans in Utah, but most of them do go to LVMS. I would love Colorado National even.

Portland did have a GOOD crowd for Xfinity in 2022.

They have got to get back to a couple more short tracks & unique venues in Trucks.

Weather here is calling for 63 degrees Saturday and only 70 Sunday, 50% chance of liquid sunshine. Yay. Might have a Monday 600

I attend my my 1st World 600 at the Charlotte Power Unit Speedway in 1978.

Darrel Waltrip won in the Digard Gatorade # 88 Chevy. Pearson won the pole in the Wood Brothers Mercury. Petty raced a Dodge Magnum and would finally go to a Chevrolet before the season ended.
My ticket in the Ford Tower cost $25. I cut a lot of grass to earn the money for my ticket.

I attend my my 1st World 600 at the Charlotte Power Unit Speedway in 1978.

Darrel Waltrip won in the Digard Gatorade # 88 Chevy. Pearson won the pole in the Wood Brothers Mercury. Petty raced a Dodge Magnum and would finally go to a Chevrolet before the season ended.
My ticket in the Ford Tower cost $25. I cut a lot of grass to earn the money for my ticket.
Expensive ticket that is over $112 today

Expensive ticket that is over $112 today
When I went in 1988 to my first Cup race (Oakwood 500) the ticket in the Chrysler section off 4 was $60. That blew my 11 year old mind at the time. I was used to $5 or $8 when it was BGN at Orange County. Now the seats I like to get at Charlotte are ~$200 (Club Deck)

One thing that sucks about being an AEW fan and a NASCAR Fan. AEW Double or Nothing is always on the same damn day and time as the 600. AEW being a PPV it will have most of my attention, but I’ll try keeping up with the race

Can you not stock up on BEER on Saturday? Just curious.

Beer under 5% is sold everywhere, all the time... like most states.

Beer over 5% is controlled by the state run liquor stores. So "only" 6 days a week, and busy as all hell. But, the main problem is that items at the liquor store are sold per container/can. So you can't take advantage of bulk discounts to any degree. Any kind of remotely "craft" beer is going to run upwards of $1.90 a 12oz can. True craft beer... $3 a can. And that's the price if you're buying one or the price for each if you're buying 12. That's what pisses me off the most. Beer/liquor/wine is very reasonably priced here compared to elsewhere EXCEPT good beer... which is what I'm most into.

Reactions: sdj
I thought Charlotte was 70,000ish now but it was 89,000 before that.

I thought Charlotte was 70,000ish now but it was 89,000 before that.

It was 170,000+ excluding infield 15 years ago. Highest capacity on the schedule for a while outside of Indy obviously. More than Bristol, Daytona, Dega, Texas- all the big ones.

Goodyear Fast Facts: Charlotte

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 14 – 400 laps / 600 miles Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval) – Concord, N.C.

Fast Facts for May 26-28, 2023 Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 1 set for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 13 sets for the race (12 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5184; Right-side — D-5190

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,263 mm (89.09 in.); Right-side — 2,279 mm (89.72 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 20 psi; Left Rear — 22 psi; Right Front — 50 psi; Right Rear — 46 psi

Storyline – Cup Series starts second half of regular season at temperature sensitive Charlotte: The NASCAR Cup Series takes on its longest race of the season this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Because the race that starts in the daylight and ends at night, the 600-mile event sees a big swing in track temperatures. That phenomenon leads to teams having to keep up with the track and adjust their car set-ups. Often times, teams that lose touch with the leaders early in the race seem to come to life later, and vice versa.

“Charlotte is one of the more temperature sensitive race tracks on the NASCAR circuit, and that leads to teams making bigger adjustments to the car over the course of the race, including air pressure in the tires,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Depending on how sunny and warm it gets during the day, the cars typically gain a large amount of grip as the sun goes down. That grip leads to speed and changing car conditions, making the teams that have built some adjustability in their set-ups the ones that will be good in that fourth stage.”

Notes – Cup teams ran this same combination of left- and right-side tires at Darlington two weeks ago . . . they have also run this right-side tire code at Fontana, Las Vegas and Kansas this season . . . this is a different tire set-up than Cup teams ran at Charlotte last season, with construction updates on both the left- and right-side tires vs. 2022 . . . with this 18-inch tire and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2023.

Goodyear to run special “Honor and Remember” sidewall at Charlotte: Since 2010, for one weekend per NASCAR season, Goodyear has changed the branding on the sidewall of its racing tires in a show of support for the United States military and fallen heroes. This being the 14th year of that program, the official tire supplier to NASCAR’s top three series will work with the “Honor and Remember” organization for the fifth straight year. The standard “Eagle” on the tires’ sidewall will be replaced by the Honor and Remember logo on all Cup, Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series tires at Charlotte Motor Speedway this week, as is part of the industry-wide effort known as “NASCAR Salutes.”

GOODYEAR TIRE NOTES NASCAR Xfinity Series – Race No. 12 – 200 laps / 300 milesNASCAR Craftsman Truck Series – Race No. 11 – 134 laps / 201 miles Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval) – Concord, N.C.Fast Facts for May 26-27, 2023 Tire: Goodyear Eagle 15-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Xfinity: 6 sets for the event; Truck: 5 sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-6110; Right-side — D-6130 Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,225 mm (87.60 in.); Right-side — 2,250 mm (88.58 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 18 psi; Left Rear — 18 psi; Right Front — 50 psi; Right Rear — 48 psi

Notes – Xfinity and Truck teams return to Charlotte on ’22 tire set-up: Being on 15-inch bead diameter tires, Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Cup Series at Charlotte this week . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires that teams in these two series ran at Charlotte last season . . . these teams have run this left-side tire code at Las Vegas (both series), Kansas (Trucks only) and Texas (Trucks only) this season . . . they have also run this right-side code at Darlington (both series) two weeks ago . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, Xfinity and Truck teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Charlotte . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

1684938379611.png

Back
Top Bottom