Collin Raye blasts Nashville: "Enough already."

Country music has sucked pretty bad for about two decades. Tim & Faith's pop crossover crap has run it's course. Taylor Swift is terrible but wins every award available.
If your songs also play on pop stations then you probably aren't a country artist.
End of rant.
(There's no rock & roll anymore either.)

Holy crap, that was very well written. I was never a huge Collin Raye fan, although several of his songs are absolute favorites of mine, such as I Think About You. That is indeed a great song, and it is well written and tells a great story with a great message. I have to admit I don't even listen to current country music radio simply because any time I turn on the radio all I hear is the same thing, a guy or girl singing about their truck or partying with a bunch of their redneck friends. It all seems kind of pointless to me. I do listen to a lot of country, but it is mostly all slightly to much older stuff. I listen to a lot of Travis Tritt, Dwight Yoakam, Clint Black, George Straight, Brad Paisley, Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, Patty Loveless, Deana Carter, Jo Dee Messina, Randy Travis, John Anderson, Tim McGraw, Trace Adkins, Hank Williams, Jr. and others.

I agree with most of what he said. Today's country does still have some good songs, however it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. Has Taylor Swift or Luke Bryan made a single song that will be remembered 20 years from now? I'm not saying they haven't made a couple good songs but they have a fan base who will buy anything they produce.

I never used to listen to country at all, but I've started recently. However, real country. Not this "partyin' with a girl in a pickup on a dirt road" crap that has become the face of country, but Wille, Waylon and the gang of country songwriters from an era when a country song actually told a story.

There's still plenty of good country out there. Every genre evolves, and country is not exempt to that. It's as popular as it's ever been, so the record labels are going to continue to put out today's kind of country. It's bringing in a lot of new fans and exposing them to not only the new, but the old. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Classic country is definitely my favorite music genre, but I'm also a fan of todays artists.

In my opinion one of the things that's hurting country music radio the worst is the cookie cutter morning shows. We had the top rated morning show within 100 miles with 79% of country music listeners. It was two locals and they were a blast but the station was sold and the new owners changed them to the afternoon. They put on some corporate New York idiots that was on the air in the mornings on all of their stations across the country. That stations morning show has dropped to 42% and still falling.

Hey girl, climb up in my truck, and we'll go down to the river with some ice cold beer.

That's pretty much every country song from the last 10 years.

Stop listening to what mainstream radio feeds you.

This ones a favorite...and goes along with this thread....

These guys got it right....there was a Murder on Music Row

That's about right. One of my favorite parts of the movie Ray was when Jamie Foxx, playing Ray Charles of course, would repeat why he loved country music in spite of other people telling him how uncool it was. He just kept saying "It's about the stories, man".

I've always been a guy who follows the mantra that "words mean things". In virtually any genre I've ever enjoyed, I've almost always drifted to the artists who's words really meant something. That's a big reason why Rush and Iron Maiden really were my favorites even in my head banging days. Both of them spent an awful lot of time on their lyrics. Their lyrics almost always told a story. Many of their songs were based on literature or bigger questions than "am I gonna get laid tonight?". Don't get me wrong, I like just a feel good rocking song on occasion as well, but man can not live on bread alone.

I agree with most of what he said. Today's country does still have some good songs, however it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. Has Taylor Swift or Luke Bryan made a single song that will be remembered 20 years from now? I'm not saying they haven't made a couple good songs but they have a fan base who will buy anything they produce.
Luke Bryan's "All My Friends Say" is over 7 years old and still pretty popular, but it fits the mold of what made early Brad Paisley songs memorable and long lasting...catchy and relatible.

There's still plenty of good country out there. Every genre evolves, and country is not exempt to that. It's as popular as it's ever been, so the record labels are going to continue to put out today's kind of country. It's bringing in a lot of new fans and exposing them to not only the new, but the old. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Classic country is definitely my favorite music genre, but I'm also a fan of todays artists.

Exactly.

Music evolves, in every genre, and that's never gonna change.
Our local "classic country" station plays all the stuff from the so called Urban Country movement from back in the day, who traditionalists back then felt was killing the real music.
Now, those songs (Islands in the Stream, Looking For Love, Nobody by Sylvia, just to name a few) are played on this station quite frequently.

Mark my words, today's country will be considered "classic" in 25 yrs.
And many folks 25 yrs from now are gonna stick their fingers in their mouths whenever they hear today's country, as a sign of disapproval.

I just happen to be a music lover who can adapt to these changes, who appreciate both the traditional artists as well as those changing the game, so to speak.

I couldn't tell you anything Luke Bryan has ever done. Taylor Swift, however, has done some pretty good music in my opinion. There is certainly some stuff she has put out that I haven't cared for, especially her more recent stuff. I couldn't tell you what they play on the radio, but her first two albums in particular have some really good stuff on them.

:confused: First you say this:

I have to admit I don't even listen to current country music radio simply because any time I turn on the radio all I hear is the same thing,

Then you say this:

Taylor Swift, however, has done some pretty good music in my opinion.

Every song she does is the same thing. She meets a boy, they break up, then she writes a song about it.

:D

:confused: First you say this:

Then you say this:

Every song she does is the same thing. She meets a boy, they break up, then she writes a song about it.

:D
Actually, it isn't. Most of them are, but not all of them are. And even some of those are pretty good. Songs like I Almost Do, Breathe and Last Kiss are all along those lines, but they are all very well written and I like them quite a bit.

Check out the lyrics. I especially like the second stanza and the bridge of this one

The lyrics to this one put you right there in the car with her

This one just paints a word picture. Which is exactly what you want a song to do when you are writing it.

In addition, writing break up songs is what country music has been about ever since the genre was invented. You can go back to George Strait, George Jones and all the way back to Hank Williams, Sr. and they all wrote many, many break up songs just in different ways.

The problem I have with Taylor Swift is how fake she is. She wins every award but still puts on her shocked face when she does. It's like Kyle Busch acting shocked when he wins a truck race.

The problem I have with Taylor Swift is how fake she is. She wins every award but still puts on her shocked face when she does. It's like Kyle Busch acting shocked when he wins a truck race.

But he always does it with a crappy truck. Just ask him...

As for the topic...I agree completely and actually had a short conversation with someone at work today about this. Years ago...I was a big country music fan. I often found myself listening to Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Martina McBride and even Collin Raye. "Not that Different" from Collin Raye is one of my favorites. I also went through my pop stage before listening to Rock and now I find it hard to listen to anything else. As stated, country seems to be about trucks and rednecks, while pop is about fairy tales and everything that we'd like life to be like. Rock is real life! Many people who I talk to find Rock music to be depressing, and the truth is...some of it is. But that's life. We don't live in that fairy tale world that some like to believe we do. There are struggles and road blocks, but how we get through those road blocks is what's so great and so POSITIVE. THAT'S why I enjoy Rock.

Back
Top Bottom