Controversial British GP?!

B

BebiF1

At the beginning of the season the FIA announced that the team would have to abandon all electronic aids including traction control, and automatic gears. Well a couple races into the season, the FIA decided that some teams cars would basically not work without these aids and it was unfair. Well according to Paul Stoddart all the teams had a "gentlemens agreement" that the electronics would still be banned and deemed illigal at the British GP. Stoddart announced a week or two back that his team WILL run without aids. Claiming that his team will be the only "legal" team in that race and expects any teams that do not follow suit to be disqualified. Bernie Eclestone was consulted and of course agreed with his new "toys" that aids will be illegal and teams will be disqualified.

My whole problem with the issue is that, I do not know if the ban was ever lifted or the FIA just said that it could be a problem. So I guess we will not know the whole story until cars roll off on friday morning.

I personally can't see it happening. As someone from an aussie board pointed out, if the rule in fact stays put, then ending very well may be a HUGE controversey with Minardi being declaired winner and 2nd place (if they both finish that is)...Makes me worry...the mechanics kissed each other when they got pre-qual pole....what would they actually do if they won!! HAHAA...scary thought :p

Good luck to Minardi and Paul Stoddart, for stepping up to the plate to play hard ball with the big guns!

I can see Minardi pulling through with this but I can't see the FIA disqualifing every one and declating Mindari the winner. But if your Minardi, why not? This is going to be crazy, hehe, can't wait.

Crazy in deed, and once the race ends, Cinamax will have to pick up coverage for what follows! lol. :pbjtime: :EEEEK:

No, not really. The Brisish GP has long since been on the cutting board for replacement because of its old run down facilities. You have to remember that Silverstone has hosted GP's since the early fifties and I believe is the only track still raced on that hosted one of the first F1 GP's. But this weekend $16 million was dumped into the facility to help with things, but it is still in need of a replacement Bristish GP.

Paul Stoddart, after meeting with all the team principle's said that the Silverstone event was "100% safe" from protest as far as he was concerned.

From Autosport

Asked whether Minardi had received the fighting fund money it had been pushing for, Stoddart said: "We've had some contribution and, as everything always is, it's a compromise. We've effectively agreed to agree for the remainder of 2003. I think we can safely say that for the rest of the year the fighting will all be done on the track, which is where it should be."

:) Well done Paul, for now :p

I think if someone gave me a few million, I could shut my mouth regardless of what happens at great britian.

Well last thoughts on this topic.

Turned out nothing happend. Everyone used electronics including I think Minardi, and no penalties were issued no controversy. But it was fun while it lasted right?

A couple of things Bebi, Silverstones facilties certainly arent old. The pit complex is as good as most on the F1 calender, and the actual track itself is in great shape. Sure the track isnt the newest as we all know, but just because its old dosent make it bad. BE just likes to have a moan about the track and its facilties. Ask the bossess at BAR, Ferrari, Willams, Jordan etc if they think Silverstone is outdated. They dont, and neither does Max Mosley. Its just BE playing games.

Anyway thats beside the point as Silverstone should have up to £28 million to spend from the goverment to update the facilties even further. Silverstone is the rightful place, and the best place for a British GP. :angry:

I personally lean toward Brands Hatch, but Silverstone isnt that bad of a race course. It is one of the oldest still raced on, but in last couple years they have been forced to improve on their roads and facilities to keep F1 there. Thats what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom