Cool for Texas Terry

P

pettyfan4life

Some Stuff: #5-Terry Labonte will reach two milestones when he takes the green flag for today's Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500: His 50th AMS start and 300th for Hendrick Motorsports. #24-Jeff Gordon does not have a top-10 finish in the first three races, the first time that has happened in his 11-year career.(St Petersburg Times)(3-9-2003)

Originally posted by pettyfan4life@Mar 10 2003, 12:42 PM
#24-Jeff Gordon does not have a top-10 finish in the first three races, the first time that has happened in his 11-year career
Oh, how sad. :bleh:

Originally posted by 66mustang+Mar 10 2003, 03:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (66mustang @ Mar 10 2003, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pettyfan4life@Mar 10 2003, 12:42 PM
#24-Jeff Gordon does not have a top-10 finish in the first three races, the first time that has happened in his 11-year career
Oh, how sad. :bleh: [/b][/quote]
that just shows how good he is

The Great Jeff Gordon got his first top 5 of the season. And Darlington is next on the schedule. :p

4 races in and 8th in points, I'll take it.

Terry's a class act.

As to Jeff, he used to really get under my skin. These days, other drivers bother me even more than he does. Won't name any junior names or harvick anything, but he's not as annoying to me as stewart he used to johnson be. :D

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan@Mar 10 2003, 04:02 PM

As to Jeff, he used to really get under my skin.&nbsp; These days, other drivers bother me even more than he does.&nbsp; Won't name any junior names or harvick anything, but he's not as annoying to me as stewart he used to johnson be.&nbsp; :D
It amazes me how many people say that. Talked to my Cuz Sunday morning before the race, he's US Navy and him and his friends are in Everett, Washington now. Man they used to make my life hell when I went down to Virginia Beach. They really hated Gordon. And Sunday they all said the same thing, Gordo doesn't bother them anymore. They say Stewart and Busch are the guys they hate now. Is it just because Gordon doesn't win like he used to or what?

I was at Martinsville last spring when Gordon lost his power steering. Surprisingly not many people cheered. Well, not as many as before. I actually had people telling me they were impressed with Gordon as I was walking out of that race (wearing a 24 hat and shirt). Usually when I go to a race wearing Gordon stuff I'm harrassed, kicked in the back when I'm sitting in my seat, or the target of empty beer cans.

one of the funniest things I ever heard at a race.... An older gentleman and a young teenager were sitting side by side right behind me at the first Texas Motorspeedway Race. The older gentleman was wearing a old, faded D.W. Western Auto T-shirt and the younger teenager was in all brand new J.G. Dupont T-shirt and cap. I listened in on their conversation as the older gentleman told the young man that it was easy to root for a winner, but it took a real man to still root for D.W. The more I thought about what the man said I realized it was true. Every time a new fan comes into the sport of Nascar they will almost always take the winningist driver at that time to pull for.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 10 2003, 05:58 PM
one of the funniest things I ever heard at a race.... An older gentleman and a young teenager were sitting side by side right behind me at the first Texas Motorspeedway Race. The older gentleman was wearing a old, faded D.W. Western Auto T-shirt and the younger teenager was in all brand new J.G. Dupont T-shirt and cap. I listened in on their conversation as the older gentleman told the young man that it was easy to root for a winner, but it took a real man to still root for D.W. The more I thought about what the man said I realized it was true. Every time a new fan comes into the sport of Nascar they will almost always take the winningist driver at that time to pull for.
Aint that the truth I picked Kyle when he won a little but I picked him cause I met him and likes he a lot, and I still stick with him when he hardly ever wins a race or gets a top 10

Yeah. Just never really liked the guy.

I also for whatever reason never cared much for Dale Jarrett. Don't really know why, just don't.

Funniest thing I heard at a race was a father and his son of about 8-10 years of age walking some souvenir stands and the father said, "Let's go get you a Dale Earnhardt shirt". The kid said, "But Dad, he's dead what's the point?". Thought it was funny that this little child was able to grasp something so many "fans" seem incapable of.

Seriously though, maybe some people liked Gordon right away because he came in and dominated Earnhardt when no one else was able to. Maybe they liked him because he was one of the first to refuse to be bullied by the biggest bully ever. Do I like Gordon, not really.

Or maybe people choose to like drivers because they've followed him up through other racing series'. People tend to forget that there is racing in this world other than NASCAR, and people raced there before getting to NASCAR.

TWF, being a fan of Sprint and Midget racing, did you dislike Stewart back then? Or just start to dislike him when he came to NASCAR?

That's just it. I'm NOT a fan of sprints or midgets.

I like dirt racing. Late models. Scott Bloomquist et al. They don't run sprints or midgets at the local. I know nothing about those series. The name Sammy Swindell rings a distant bell, and I did see Geoff Bodine and Ritchie Evans a time or two wayyyy back when, but that's it.

Now, if you talk dirt to me, the names I identify with are (among hundreds of others) Jody Ridley, Buck Simmons, Doug Kennemer, Charlie Hughes, L. D. Ottinger, H. E. Vineyard, Herman Goddard, Bill Corum, Freddie Smith, Bloomer, Ronnie Johnson....late models. Fenders. :p No wings on top.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 10 2003, 05:58 PM
Every time a new fan comes into the sport of Nascar they will almost always take the winningist driver at that time to pull for.
I don't know about that though. I don't even remember the first races I went to. The first one that sticks out, obviously, is the Firecracker 400 in '84. Petty got his 200th win. Now you'd think he would've been popular but I remember that day and there were as many people booing as there were cheering. Lots of people said Petty was a cheater, that he shouldn't even have 200 wins because lots of them shouldn't have counted but Nascar let him get away with things. There were some real knock-down, all-out brawls over Petty back in the mid-80s.

Fast forward a few years and Earnhardt was beginning to take over. In '89 and '90 Dale was the enemy. King Richard hadn't won in years so he became more and more popular. Everybody was calling him "the King" and saying Earnhardt and Wallace would never come close to him. I just think nascar fans have always been skeptical of dominant drivers. The exception maybe was Pearson, Buck Baker, Elliott and Yarborough.

Look at what's going on now. Junior is the most popular driver but he doesn't have the most wins. Stewart and Busch and Kenseth are probably some of the most winningest drivers since Fox and NBC took over but they don't have the fan following of Junior. Marlin lead the points most of last year but nobody gave him credit. I'm just not sure a driver's victories have a lot to do with his popularity.

FOX and NBC create fan favorites...winning and performace mean nothing to them...therefore they mean nothing to the more impressionable fans.

For example...watch an IRL race, a CART race, an F1 race, a Rally race, a USAC race anything...and watch when they go to commercial...they show you the cars racing around...when NASCAR goes to commercial they shows close ups of the drivers faces and slick video clips of them doing funny stuff. Very little attention is given to the actual racing anymore, most is given to the "celebrities" and "superstars" they're creating.

Originally posted by paul@Mar 11 2003, 10:29 AM
For example...watch an IRL race, a CART race, an F1 race, a Rally race, a USAC race anything...and watch when they go to commercial...they show you the cars racing around...when NASCAR goes to commercial they shows close ups of the drivers faces and slick video clips of them doing funny stuff. Very little attention is given to the actual racing anymore, most is given to the "celebrities" and "superstars" they're creating.
Good example, but I'll argue one point. F-1: I think it's clear Michael is the fave of the broadcasters.

But yeah, you're right. Fox is all about the entertainment. It's not so much a Nascar race - it's WALTRIP and THE HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (and oh by the way, they're at a race).

:cheers:

Originally posted by paul@Mar 11 2003, 10:22 AM
FOX and NBC create fan favorites...winning and performace mean nothing to them...therefore they mean nothing to the more impressionable fans.
But so has every network that carried the races. ESPN did a lot toward building the Bill Elliott mystique in the '80s. Dick Berggren STILL picks Dale Earnhardt to win every race he covers I think. Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing with your comment. But it's hardly anything new. I even noticed the radio coverage (PRN this week, not MRN. I think that depends on who owns the track as it's pretty much the same crew.) ballyhooing Junior and Gordon's early race charge. It WAS impressive, but it got overplayed a tad IMO.

Ballyhooing. Betcha didn't think you'd see THAT used in a sentence today.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are experiencing temporary thread drift. Please do not adjust your sets. :D

Originally posted by The_Mad_Hatter+Mar 11 2003, 10:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The_Mad_Hatter @ Mar 11 2003, 10:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--paul@Mar 11 2003, 10:29 AM
For example...watch an IRL race, a CART race, an F1 race, a Rally race, a USAC race anything...and watch when they go to commercial...they show you the cars racing around...when NASCAR goes to commercial they shows close ups of the drivers faces and slick video clips of them doing funny stuff.&nbsp; Very little attention is given to the actual racing anymore, most is given to the "celebrities" and "superstars" they're creating.
Good example, but I'll argue one point. F-1: I think it's clear Michael is the fave of the broadcasters.

But yeah, you're right. Fox is all about the entertainment. It's not so much a Nascar race - it's WALTRIP and THE HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (and oh by the way, they're at a race).

:cheers: [/b][/quote]
You may be right about Schumacher, but I have my doubts. I'm pretty sure our American friend in the booth has a rather bitter dislike for the German. :) Either way, you will never see them cut to a commercial after a clip the drivers dancing around their cars and making faces into the camera while playing air guitar to a Kid Rock song.

I also find it funny that they're listing the driver's favorite foods and colors or whatever now...like Tiger Beat magazine. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Originally posted by paul@Mar 11 2003, 10:42 AM
I also find it funny that they're listing the driver's favorite foods and colors or whatever now...like Tiger Beat magazine. :wub: :wub: :wub:
Get out of my head. That is precisely what I thought the first time I saw that. Made me feel old. :p

:lol: Yes you're right about F-1 coverage, I don't wanna see de Matta dancing and I don't care what JPM's favorite color is.

The hobbies thing Fox is doing really cracks me up too. I'm surprised the drivers haven't figured out a way to get their sponsors in there. Maybe Rusty will say his hobby is drinking Miller Lite. I'm sure Gordon will say his favorite food is Fritos. Casey Mears could say his favorite pasttime is shopping at Target.

Back
Top Bottom