Cope Explodes

Cope says brake pedal got soft, tells me brakes were very hot. if the wheel and tire were hot enough I could see the inner R/F sidewall exploding blowing all that brake dust across the entire area.
No smoke or flames. I saw a tire explode on the 88 several years ago that blew the entire quarter panel off the car.

Cope says brake pedal got soft, tells me brakes were very hot. if the wheel and tire were hot enough I could see the inner R/F sidewall exploding blowing all that brake dust across the entire area.
No smoke or flames. I saw a tire explode on the 88 several years ago that blew the entire quarter panel off the car.
But blowing the entire hood and LEFT fender off, while leaving the RIGHT fender undamaged? Isn't there a whole lot of stuff between the R/F tire and L/F fender? That big engine thingy?

They sure did .... one of em killed a friend of mine back in 1980
Most dangerous pieces of crap ever invented. I've seen the rings go thru the roof... Heard of folks being decapitated..... losing arms.... horrible stuff..... We just had a truck mechanic killed here in town Thursday.... was in a pit changing an air bag.... I don't know what happened..... but... it exploded.... the metal hit him in the head and killed him instantly.... the shop is shut down indefinitely and OSHA was there Friday....... Not good......

Most dangerous pieces of crap ever invented. I've seen the rings go thru the roof... Heard of folks being decapitated..... losing arms.... horrible stuff..... We just had a truck mechanic killed here in town Thursday.... was in a pit changing an air bag.... I don't know what happened..... but... it exploded.... the metal hit him in the head and killed him instantly.... the shop is shut down indefinitely and OSHA was there Friday....... Not good......

Air bags are as bad as tires

But blowing the entire hood and LEFT fender off, while leaving the RIGHT fender undamaged? Isn't there a whole lot of stuff between the R/F tire and L/F fender? That big engine thingy?
Only thing I could think of with no smoke ,oil or flames. the pressure has to go some where and since the engine probably won't move the hood is next especially if the inner sidewall blew out to the left.

Not sure I understand a tire explosion at low speed with no more than the static load applied.

I rhink there might be more to this.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand a tire explosion at low speed with no more than the static load applied.

I rhink there might be more to this.

heat soaked rotor and rim ? Seen many truck tires blow after the truck was parked and the hot brakes heated up the tire

Cope's team says a caliper exploded.

Hydrogen bomb from north Korea ......... thats what it was :booya:

a.jpe
black cloud and no flames .................. yep ... a hydrogen bomb

Looks like the team was using an improperly installed under hood air bag.

A caliper? Exactly HOW does a caliper explode?

Idk, hydraulic malfunction creating a ****ton of pressure? Bad master cylinder or some ****? Heat? I dunno, I just read that they said a caliper caused a tire to explode.

I'll try to find a link soon

Idk, hydraulic malfunction creating a ****ton of pressure? Bad master cylinder or some sh!t? Heat? I dunno, I just read that they said a caliper caused a tire to explode.

Maybe the caliper was hung up and wouldn't fully release, increasing rotor temp and melting the bead.

Idk, hydraulic malfunction creating a ****ton of pressure? Bad master cylinder or some sh!t? Heat? I dunno, I just read that they said a caliper caused a tire to explode.

Maybe the caliper was hung up and wouldn't fully release, increasing rotor temp and melting the bead.
Ah, the caliper caused the TIRE to explode. That makes more sense, but it still leaves a lot of questions.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...s-watkins-glen-xfinity-series-car-issues.html

"Sawyer said that Cope's #70 had made contact with another car one or two laps before the incident, causing a vibration and brake issue on his car's right-front corner. When his brake pedal started to lose its effect, Cope indicated he was looking for a place to pull off the course. The contact broke the brake caliper where it attached to the spindle, Sawyer said, creating excessive heat to melt the bead on the right-front tire's inner sidewall. "As soon as the vehicle comes to a stop, you've got all that radiant heat and it's just sitting there at the soft point of the sidewall, which is where it basically explodes," Sawyer said."

Put the black helicopters back in the hangers.

My god I was right sort of. Where's my camera?

They better look into it some more.Cause this could very easily happen on a pit stop with this tire.

They better look into it some more.Cause this could very easily happen on a pit stop with this tire.
Yeah, it's a good thing he had to stop by the chicane. If that sucker had gone off when a crewman took the tire off, we'd have a very different tone to this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom