Corey LaJoie: Please Explain.

virtualbalboa

driver of corey day bandwagon since 2022
I know he has a podcast and his dad is now more famous for selling racing seats than being a fixture in the Busch Series. I get all that. The part I need explained to me is why I've seen him propped up repeatedly for years now as being better than he is. His top 5s and top 10s all come at pack racing ovals. His average finish has been marginally better than his average starting spot since he came in, and he's actually regressed statistically this year. Has he ever shown any great competence outside the plate tracks? Did he save his car from a spin a couple of times and people got excited? I'm just wondering since he made my YouTube feed for wrecking a guy yesterday who is miles ahead of him in every category and I feel like I've seen his name come up over and over again without any clear understanding why other than to think this is a Matt DiBenedetto "He replies to people on social media" thing.

Geographics is my angle. Oldish racing family, knows people in high places. The gerbs all from the eastern coast continue to fawn all over him. Watching gerbil Jeff alibi for what we all saw at Pocono was pretty solid proof of that.

Spire management must see something worthwhile there.

They signed him to a multi-year contract extension late last season and have assigned a championship-winning crew chief to his car for 2024.

He's has been known for getting good finishes out of subpar equipment in the past. I think the expansion of spire to 3 cars has been a negative for him. His crew chief is trying to be a crew chief and the competition director for a 3 car organization. Somewhere something will suffer when people are stretched thin.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Spire management must see something worthwhile there.

They signed him to a multi-year contract extension late last season and have assigned a championship-winning crew chief to his car for 2024.
Is there anything you've seen as a fan watching the races to make you think they made a good call with that contract? That's what I'm asking here.

He's has been known for getting good finishes out of subpar equipment in the past. I think the expansion of spire to 3 cars has been a negative for him. His crew chief is trying to be a crew chief and the competition director for a 3 car organization. Somewhere something will suffer when people are stretched thin.

Are there any examples of him doing this outside of the three tracks where it is a given that anyone with up to spec equipment can run with the lead pack?

Spire is not that good. They need big time help and Rodney is a good pick for a long shot turnaround. It's possible that working with an older driver like Lajoie might produce some results, pretty sure the powers at Spire think so, but I am betting on the under in this case. He has had way too many opportunities and when a green as a gourd rookie Hocevar continues to produce better results in 23rd place after getting docked points to Lajoie's 30th place I'm taking the under.

Are there any examples of him doing this outside of the three tracks where it is a given that anyone with up to spec equipment can run with the lead pack?
Couple years ago he had some good runs, one I belive at darlington when they spent money and were running the "A" motor package. You need to remember spire gets a fraction of the data that any of the other big teams do. Given that what Carson is doing is dang impressive. But look at Zane he had a good run or 2 filling in with he #17 in the past and now he can't seem to do anything in the #71. Except for backing into a fuel mileage finish.

Is there anything you've seen as a fan watching the races to make you think they made a good call with that contract? That's what I'm asking here.
The cars often seem be further out of balance than most, especially the front runners. They seldom make a stop without adjustments.

Childers should improve that reality.

Hard to tell what Spire is bringing to the track. His teammate is a rookie and outperforming him and we’ve seen rookies really struggle their first few years for quite a while.

The Spire cars have shown some speed. Corey Lajoie has shown speed. But man, he messes up A LOT.

I actually think he's starting to get underrated, I don't get the hate. He's an aggressive driver, the same can be said about Larson.

With Rodney, I expect his results to improve. He's like the Daniel Suarez of Spire, he was there before the team took off.

I actually think he's starting to get underrated, I don't get the hate. He's an aggressive driver, the same can be said about Larson.

With Rodney, I expect his results to improve. He's like the Daniel Suarez of Spire, he was there before the team took off.
I hope Childers can help him. I don't hate him and would be happy to see him have some breakout moments. But, I was a lot more optimistic about his progression early last year than I am now.
I hope he proves me wrong.

He finished 2nd to Kyle Larson in the 2012 K&N East standings (and outrun Chase Elliott). It’s the most promise he has ever shown.

He would benefit from a couple of Xfinity seasons.

Couple years ago he had some good runs, one I belive at darlington when they spent money and were running the "A" motor package. You need to remember spire gets a fraction of the data that any of the other big teams do. Given that what Carson is doing is dang impressive. But look at Zane he had a good run or 2 filling in with he #17 in the past and now he can't seem to do anything in the #71. Except for backing into a fuel mileage finish.

Carson I've seen before in late models on TV and in real life, and let's just say my opinion on him as a driver is mixed. But then I look and see his average finish as a true Cup rookie (I know the old rule was 5 races was a rookie season and he had 9; whatever) is about 4 positions higher than the many-year vet LaJoie. Hocevar is fast but also prone to wrecking cars in my experience seeing him. That's pretty startling to see for me. Didn't realize that disparity existed.

Love the thread and I agree wholeheartedly. He's a worse version of Matt DiBennedetto
Not to hate on Corey, but Matt had two seasons in a row where he equaled or exceeded Corey's top ten numbers for a CAREER. You don't have to like him, but let's not pretend he was no good. I personally think Corey feels a LOT of pressure to get results and he is just pushing too hard in a car that isn't there YET. If he still sucks after a year with Rodney, I"ll reconsider my take on him.

Not to hate on Corey, but Matt had two seasons in a row where he equaled or exceeded Corey's top ten numbers for a CAREER. You don't have to like him, but let's not pretend he was no good. I personally think Corey feels a LOT of pressure to get results and he is just pushing too hard in a car that isn't there YET. If he still sucks after a year with Rodney, I"ll reconsider my take on him.
You can't compare Penske prepped cars and spire cars

You can't compare Penske prepped cars and spire cars

No, the point is, you tried to throw shade at Matt because obviously you don't LIKE him, but he was getting results far and above anything Corey has been able to accomplish, so lumping the two together for any kind of comparison is kind of silly.

No, the point is, you tried to throw shade at Matt because obviously you don't LIKE him, but he was getting results far and above anything Corey has been able to accomplish, so lumping the two together for any kind of comparison is kind of silly.
What? Where did you get that?

So that will be a penalty for Kyle if he dies it? I mean he did premeditate it on a podcast.

Talk, talk, talk.

Bad guys remain silent and strike when the opportunity presents itself. Kyle has apparently forgotten about being punched out by a guy old enough to be his grandfather.

Talk, talk, talk.

Bad guys remain silent and strike when the opportunity presents itself. Kyle has apparently forgotten about being punched out by a guy old enough to be his grandfather.
New Grandpa Stenhouse was barred from the tracks.

I guess the explanation is "You'll see him run part time in the CARS Tour next year on Flo".

Spire is mediocre overall. Sucks he will no@ have a chance #o work wi@h Childers.

Back
Top Bottom