Cotto, Pacquiao to meet Nov. 14

Benevolent One

Team Owner
A deal has been completed for boxing's biggest fight of the fall: a showdown between pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto.

Pacquiao and Cotto, two of boxing's most popular and crowd-pleasing fighters, will meet at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Nov. 14 (HBO PPV), Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Monday.

"It's done," said Arum, who was back at work in his Las Vegas office after a vacation in London and Italy and attending a wedding in Israel. "While I was away I reached a verbal agreement with each side. Pacquiao committed to the fight this weekend and Cotto the week before while I was in Israel. I was on the phone all the time trying to get this done."

Arum said his attorney, Michael Heitner, was preparing the documents for signatures.

"But everything is agreed or I wouldn't say what I am saying," Arum said. "The weight, the percentages, the guarantees -- it's all agreed to."

Pacquiao, 30, the national hero of the Philippines, scored a sensational knockout of Ricky Hatton to win the junior welterweight title on May 2 at the MGM Grand. The victory gave Pacquiao a world championship in a record-tying sixth weight division.

Cotto, 28, of Puerto Rico, is coming off a bloody split decision victory in a title defense against Joshua Clottey on June 13 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Given their penchant for all-action brawls, Arum said he had high expectations that Cotto and Pacquiao would produce another memorable fight.

"I'm really excited because it's a real fight. These are two real warriors," Arum said. "Whichever way this fight goes, I think it's going to be a classic because of the way these guys fight. There will be a lot of engagement. They're great fighters. Cotto and Pacquiao are gutty guys. If you want blood and action and excitement, this is the fight."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

This has the potential to be a real bloodbath. Both of these guys like to really brawl.

That being said, I really don't see this fight being too competitive unless Pacquiao has an off night. That's no offense to Cotto, who is a very good fighter. It's just that Manny is in a whole other class of fighter than anybody out there right now. He oucld probably go out there with the flu and still beat anybody within 10-20 pounds of him, outside of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. I still think he would beat Mayweather, but he would have to healthy at least. ;)

It's a shame it's in a boxing ring. Now put them in a cage and I might watch.

Back
Top Bottom