Countdown to the 2017 Daytona 500

0d.jpg
0e.jpg
0-Dan-Gurney-63-Ford-Daytona-500-1963-1.jpg
0masterskt2-vi.jpg

Hill's Williams all 3 years he was the number 1 driver was the better car. Michael somehow beat him in 94 while being DQ from 2 races and being banned for 2 races but when Michael did race was by far the better driver, so 94 he can't really blame Hill as Williams was still with the death of Senna. In 1995 the Williams was the best car by far, but Hill managed to underachieve in it, retiring from multiple races. Hell, even Frank Williams wanted to replace Hill before 96, but Hill was already under contract for that season. The 1996 championship was basically his before the season started as there only competition was a bad Ferrari

Hill's Williams all 3 years he was the number 1 driver was the better car. Michael somehow beat him in 94 while being DQ from 2 races and being banned for 2 races but when Michael did race was by far the better driver, so 94 he can't really blame Hill as Williams was still with the death of Senna. In 1995 the Williams was the best car by far, but Hill managed to underachieve in it, retiring from multiple races. Hell, even Frank Williams wanted to replace Hill before 96, but Hill was already under contract for that season. The 1996 championship was basically his before the season started as there only competition was a bad Ferrari

He was a 33 year old rookie and within a six year span Damon accomplished quite a bit. Between 93 and 99 to win 22 times is something not to sniff at, but we have seen where the best car does not win, it happens. To say that Damon underachieved, I'm not so sure of that. He did a lot within a small window, if Damon was 23 instead of 33 starting, he would hold more records IMHO. I rated him pretty highly, but once that 98-99 season came around, it was obvious that the switch to the more aerodynamic tires did not suit him at all.

I still say he wasted '97 with Arrows after not receiving they pay he wanted, the Hungarian GP that year still breaks my heart to this day. Hill had a sense of determination and will that I think that was pretty undermined, he was quite the intense racer on the track and that race proved it. To say he underachieved is a bit harsh, but a missed opportunity is a definite yes.

He was a 33 year old rookie and within a six year span Damon accomplished quite a bit. Between 93 and 99 to win 22 times is something not to sniff at, but we have seen where the best car does not win, it happens. To say that Damon underachieved, I'm not so sure of that. He did a lot within a small window, if Damon was 23 instead of 33 starting, he would hold more records IMHO. I rated him pretty highly, but once that 98-99 season came around, it was obvious that the switch to the more aerodynamic tires did not suit him at all.

I still say he wasted '97 with Arrows after not receiving they pay he wanted, the Hungarian GP that year still breaks my heart to this day. Hill had a sense of determination and will that I think that was pretty undermined, he was quite the intense racer on the track and that race proved it. To say he underachieved is a bit harsh, but a missed opportunity is a definite yes.
True, the point I was trying to make was that he underachieved by only getting one title, at a time (1992-1997) when Williams had the best cars.

So 168 days after starting the thread, we've finally reached our objective.

Many thanks to all that contributed, especially @be9ak7ts16, who kept the thing going with nary a missed day.

In fact, a quick check shows that the last day a picture wasn't posted was day 120.
btw, assuming next year's 500 is held on February 25th, we're only 364 days away. :owquitit:

I'll close with a picture of a vehicle that's a number all by itself . . .

0 car.jpg

Back
Top Bottom