Cousin Carl Edwards will be on Race Hub

1616997442806.png

He left his cell phone on top of the 22 hauler in'16, and is coming back to retrieve it. #StillBitter

Honeslty, Carl is doing what anyone should do when they make their millions before even turning 40. Get out with their health, travel the world, be out of your comfort zone, and just live. Mad props to him.

His comment about being more motivated to come back for a one-off race “if NASCAR took the downforce away and added about 1,000 horsepower” was fantastic.

I know many have speculated on why he retired, but that comment towards the end there implies that it was about more than just health IMO. Would certainly be interesting to see what the sport would look like with him still in it. His retirement opened the door for a lot moves, and subsequent moves since.

Maybe someone will put him in a truck for a dirt race.

Cant fault anyone for getting out. 38 weeks of racing is a hell of a lifestyle
Compared to most “real” jobs of working 48+ weeks a year and maybe retiring between 60 years and 70 years old and hoping you did the math right so that you run out of money before you die?

Pfffft.
Both points have merit.

Financially it was much easier for him to make the decision than it would be for the average Joe, and that is an incredible understatement.

But the constant pressure had to be a tough grind and good on him for exercising his options.

Cant fault anyone for getting out. 38 weeks of racing is a hell of a lifestyle

I don't think its exactly easy, but with the money they make I can't see how they have anything to complain about. Private travel and luxury motor coach. These guys aren't flying coach and staying at motel 6. I know of plenty of people that travel for a living, being gone more than 38 weeks a year, that would die for that kind of rough treatment

Carl is an enigma. Bolted from his beloved Ford to use Toyota to get his championship because Roush sucked. I believe 100% that he was prepared to walk off the stage in 2016 at Homestead. Thought Toyota treated him fairly...admittedly allowing him to come to the brand on his own terms. I think Carl was a bit disingenuous being there. He never wanted to be at JGR. He just wanted his championship. I liked him, but I don't miss him. I don't care about what he is doing now, but I do wish him health and happiness.

Carl is an enigma. Bolted from his beloved Ford to use Toyota to get his championship because Roush sucked. I believe 100% that he was prepared to walk off the stage in 2016 at Homestead. Thought Toyota treated him fairly...admittedly allowing him to come to the brand on his own terms. I think Carl was a bit disingenuous being there. He never wanted to be at JGR. He just wanted his championship. I liked him, but I don't miss him. I don't care about what he is doing now, but I do wish him health and happiness.
Carl wanted who paid him the most. He was a salesman first and and race car driver second. Smart man.

Carl wanted who paid him the most. He was a salesman first and and race car driver second. Smart man.
Yeah, and second is where he finished. HOF anyway the way the HOF works, so to your point....yep, smart man.

Compared to most “real” jobs of working 48+ weeks a year and maybe retiring between 60 years and 70 years old and hoping you did the math right so that you run out of money before you die?

Pfffft.
I don't think its exactly easy, but with the money they make I can't see how they have anything to complain about. Private travel and luxury motor coach. These guys aren't flying coach and staying at motel 6. I know of plenty of people that travel for a living, being gone more than 38 weeks a year, that would die for that kind of rough treatment

Travel is travel folks. You have all those media obligations, have to perform weekly against the best in the world, and tons of traveling. Really only have 2 home games a year, maybe 4 if you count the short drive over to Darlington. That is not an easy task to do for decades

Travel is travel folks. You have all those media obligations, have to perform weekly against the best in the world, and tons of traveling. Really only have 2 home games a year, maybe 4 if you count the short drive over to Darlington. That is not an easy task to do for decades
believe it or not they have airplanes now

I'm gone from home traveling about 200 days and work around 800 hours of OT a year. Boy I would really hate making several million dollars a year and having to be gone as much as him. Top it off with private travel, man how do these guys ever manage?

I'm gone from home traveling about 200 days and work around 800 hours of OT a year. Boy I would really hate making several million dollars a year and having to be gone as much as him. Top it off with private travel, man how do these guys ever manage?
Do you want a cookie or something? Lol I'm not sure what you do for a living but are you among the best in the world at it? Are you constantly criticized online and have weekly press conferences on how well you do your job? It's no walk in the park to do racing for a living, especially at that level

Do you want a cookie or something? Lol I'm not sure what you do for a living but are you among the best in the world at it? Are you constantly criticized online and have weekly press conferences on how well you do your job? It's no walk in the park to do racing for a living, especially at that level

All I'm saying is there's people that travel a whole lot more than professional athletes for a fraction of the money and don't complain about how rough life is. The more high profile and money you make the more criticism you get. People don't care about what I do because they don't pay me several million dollars a year to entertain them or represent their company. You want to make that kind of money you have to put up with more.

All I'm saying is there's people that travel a whole lot more than professional athletes for a fraction of the money and don't complain about how rough life is. The more high profile and money you make the more criticism you get. People don't care about what I do because they don't pay me several million dollars a year to entertain them or represent their company. You want to make that kind of money you have to put up with more.
And there's kids making nike shoes for 5 cents a day who wishes he had your life. You're not really breaking any news.

When I traveled about 200-230 days a year my first job out of college I absolutely hated it. Some parts of the road were charming but I hated not having a routine. No fitness routine, hard to find good food to eat and airports sucked. I actually had great anxiety traveling and was relived when I was laid off 3 years later. Just because someone like Carl Edwards made a colossal sum of money doing what he did, I think its easy to lose sight of the fact behind the "Oh hes got his own plane, bus and he makes millions!!" these are humans too. I salute him, he made his money and got out due to whatever reason. I think its easy to look past that the travel for NASCAR when you're a driver is a grind. How many guys that recently walked away hinted or even came out and said the schedule was one of the reasons that made them decide to walk away? Also I think with the travel, pre covid are we forgetting the sponsor obligations these guys had during the week before race weekend? I'm sure thats a grind too. I dont think anyone is disputing these guys and gals are paid well as they should be. Theres alot more to being a race car driver at Cup level than just wheeling the car on race day, in a way you're also a salesman representing a brand. To look past that and just focus on how much they're paid and their accommodations on the road is incredibly short sighted in my view.

Honeslty, Carl is doing what anyone should do when they make their millions before even turning 40. Get out with their health, travel the world, be out of your comfort zone, and just live. Mad props to him.

His comment about being more motivated to come back for a one-off race “if NASCAR took the downforce away and added about 1,000 horsepower” was fantastic.
And that there, imo is enough to put away all the conspiracy nonsense about why he left.

Another Championship lost certainly stung, but at the end of the day, he probably was satisfied, realized he can afford what he wants, and just wasn't enjoying racing at the cup level.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

No amount of money or creature comforts will ever buy you more time.
Maybe Carl just saw the faces and eyes of his two little children that needed him more than his own personal ambitions.

Beloved Ford? He got a Roush deal, he wasn't seeking out to drive a Ford. Same with JGR drivers, or any racecar drivers - they just want the best equipment and best pay they can get. None of the drivers actually care what manufacturer branding is on the car, they're just a paid ambassador.

Best in the world?? Your kidding of course, from what I watched the last few years, many of these young kids need at least 5 yrs in Xfinity before sniffing a ride.
The criteria for a cup ride is not ability to drive but rather being able to represent a sponsor and convince that sponsor to pay up. A good example of that is a driver wins the Championship and next year has no ride because of no sponsor yet someone who never wins a race gets that ride.

Back
Top Bottom