Cultural myths, north and south

Whizzer

Gig'em
In the 08-09-03 edition of the Raleigh News & Observer, columnist Dennis Rogers makes a few interesting observations on the influx of Yankees, especially those from the State of New York, relocating to North Carolina.

Rogers points out that not all ex-New Yorkers who have moved here are horn-crazy maniacs who drive on the shoulder of the road to pass stalled traffic.

Rogers notes, "anyone who has been to a NASCAR race and seen the traffic free-for-all when 100,000 people try to get out of the parking lot has learned to fear a No. 8 sticker on a camper full of partying Southerners far more than a late-for-work former Northerner whose bumper pledges allegiance to the New York Yankees."

Since I haven't atended a race since Rockingham in February, 2001, I haven't personally encounted this phenomenon, so I must ask, is it true? Or is Rogers exaggerating?? Are Junior fans guilty as charged ??

BTW, for those interested, Rogers notes the cultural myths surpass NASCAR and implies other items of difference. Things such as southerners seem more complacent in "staying put" in thier environment, Yankees like bagels, bratwurst, and Krispy Kremes, but note the later is a product of North Carolina giving the advantage to the south.
And as for grits ??? Don't even go there.

And as far as the article, it was fun to read, as long as you don't try to read too much into it.
If I knew how to put an internet website on the forum so all ya had to do was click on it, I woulda done it. :bounce:

Just copy the adrees in the adress bar( right click on it and hit copy) then go to the message board and when to make a reply look for the button that says " http:// " click that then paste ( right click in empty box and hit paste) the hit ok and the link will be in the reply you make

Hmmmmm, I moved to GA from RI 9 years ago and find more prejiduce and bigotry here. Maybe it's just more open than in yankeeville.

The driving here is much more dangerous.

It's not where you live as much as who you are and the level of respect you give others.

All you need to do to post a link is copy it from your address bar and then paste on the forum. I'm sure there are are other ways, but that's the only one I know. Like this
http://www.tvguide.com/listings/index.asp

I am an old dummy, but manage to learn a few things a month :p

Attachments

• intel_inside.jpg
    intel_inside.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 94
Wow that is much easier! I just thought if you did that it would not be a link but just the adress. Thanks for pointing that out it will save much time!

Back
Top Bottom