Cup drivers in Busch

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
So okay, I'm pretty sure this has been talked about probably at length here, but not since I've been here. So, before the new season gets off to a big start, what is your opinion on this subject? Here's mine. In the earlier days, it was necessary for the Busch Series to have a hand full of Cup drivers to help draw crowds at the Busch races. This made sense and since the cars were so very different, only a hand full of cup drivers even did so and mostly because they were paid hefty sums to do so. Because of the differences in the cars, nothing could be learned by the cup driver for the Cup race the following day. Today however, the Busch Series can stand on it's own and doesn't need the big name Cup drivers to attract the attention. Now there's plenty of reasons that Cuppers should be able to race in the Busch Series, but there's plenty of reasons for them not to. But it seems that some of the very best Cup teams are the teams that field most of the cup cars, thus putting the best drivers with the best cars up against up and coming newbies just looking for a chance to get noticed. My proposal would be that any driver who is in the top 25 points in Winston Cup can't drive a car in the Busch Series UNLESS he is a full time competitor such as what Harvick did a couple of years ago. Because that would be rather draining for most of the guys, I don't think they would do it.

Good points Buckaroo,But cross sponsership will not let it be that way. ;)

I think anybody, doesn't matter of where they are in points, should be able to race. I do think that number of competitors per race and how many races per year should be limited.

I know the cost of Busch racing has gone through the roof and there was a time when they thought there might be a race or two that didn't field a full 43 cars, but how many times have more than a hand full of cars gone home, even without any Cuppers. When the cup drivers invade, that many more teams will go home and what about the sponsors for those cars. It's one thing for a team taking a shot at the top, but when they move down in class, it's like taking candy from a baby.

I've always been against "Busch whackers".......but I also know they can race in the series if they choose. The idea of exceptions like Harvick or even McMurray last season is valid though. I see it as the Cup guys stealing dollars and points from the Busch guys. It won't change so I just take it for what it is......entertainment.:)

I think there was a point that Helton wondered if he was gonna fill a Winston race this year,And the nervious nellies in the cash box took care of that.;)

I remember reading last year about some of the people thought there would be more than one race in the Busch Series that wouldn't field a full compliment of cars. They were also worried the Cup series would fall short a race or two, but because the networks contracts called for 43 cars, having a full field was a must and adding a car was as simple as making a call to any number of teams as long as a few dollars were included. I think that will continue in the future.

Was it Pocono that had trouble finding 43 drivers? I seem to remember that drivers like Carl Long and maybe Mike Harmon entered the race and parked their cars after 4 or 5 laps. They new they had no chance, so they entered the race, started it, parked before they wrecked or blew up and took the money and ran.

I don't mind WC driver who try to run 15-20 races and don't win each week like Spencer and Waltrip. But when People like Jr come in and race maybe 3 or 4 races a year then stinks up the race, i don't like that.

I say that they should limit the number of WC drivers in each race say to 6 to 8. Remember one year like 18 cars were full time WC drivers, in one race. That sent many teams home that were struggling and needed to get into the race just to be able to run again the next week.

How about a Cup driver cannot qualify in the top 10? A handicap so to speak.

I can see an occasional race by Cup guys, mostly rookies and those outside outside the top 25. These Busch guys (mostly) are trying to make it to Cup and need the $$ or weren't good enough to keepa Cup ride for whatever reason.

Usually, I don't like BuschWhackers.

Helton has the best of both worlds,and as long as the dollors are in both don't expect any change soon.

I know Harvick is doing the busch races because he feels it will help the WC program, which is true. But I think they should limit to something like only 5 WC drivers per race. I think it would be fun if they had to start at the end of the field too and they recieved no points. :) But in Harvick's case, he is trying to win the busch owner's championship with Sauter. He is also doing alot of truck races this year but thats because he is trying to get a team going.

I dont think this is right That screws drivers that are tring to make it in to nascar out of a chance if there are Nascar drivers hogging up all of the spotlights

See I don't agree with 18 drivers but 4 or 5? Thats fine. Whats bad about that. It also gives some more attention to that series.

Money is involved like PB said and don't expect it to change very soon. I think this just makes the Busch guys work harder, the borderline teams aren't going to do much anyway, so it is survival of the fittest, it is like that in any sport and in life.

Originally posted by Mopardh9
Money is involved like PB said and don't expect it to change very soon. I think this just makes the Busch guys work harder, the borderline teams aren't going to do much anyway, so it is survival of the fittest, it is like that in any sport and in life.

Yeah, but everyteam starts somewhere. They need to limit the drivers.

If they limit the drivers is that really fair? Is fair to restrict a WC team that wants to field a driver down in Busch to get him more experience or to develop their team so that they can expand and call up a Busch guy?

It would be like sending a guy down to the minors and telling him he could only play a few games there or that would be it.Some guys bounce around a lot....it is part of the sport and limiting it would only hurt it.

Originally posted by Mopardh9
It would be like sending a guy down to the minors and telling him he could only play a few games there or that would be it.Some guys bounce around a lot....it is part of the sport and limiting it would only hurt it.

Ya know I see your point now and I'm sorta changing my opinions on some things.

Well guys i have to go to work.....i could argue this point for awhile just like the plate issue...have a good night everyone:)

This is a point that I've argued both ways a number of times.

The bottom line is this. Winston Cup guys in Busch offer the BGN series better exposure. People who get involved in racing and pick their favorite drivers in Cup are encouraged to watch their drivers in the BGN series and often do. Nobody likes to see the WC drivers dominate in the BGN series, but they do have the right to drive in that series if they want to.

Back
Top Bottom