Cup RACE thread ---- Darlington

They only have to give him a hard time on the very last race to make sure he doesn't win a championship. In reality, just make sure another of the final 4 crosses the line ahead of him on the last lap and that can be done with no penalty by just running a 4 wide road block.

Another feather 🪶 in the cap for whole season format where the field can get their Ross obsession on for the full 36 ;)

I have been reading 16 pages of thread just waiting for the Kylely or Klye Lee Larson or Rick Lee Hendrick moment to happen....

My nickname for Kyle Larson is “The Jockey”, as he looks like one of those little boy jockeys riding race horses. Sounds like one too. I was very glad he was able to return to nascar. But his rear needs to be wiped like anyone else, so dont understand goving the Jockey a pass on all his hard bumps and grinding moves to wreck competitors. With him it’s “hard racing”. With Ross he’s “reckless, too aggressive”. Obviously for Mr. H belly that’s a no no so he’s threatening Trackhouse supply chain, implicitly via press conference and (I’m sure) directly in person. THAT is interfering with the competitive boundaries of the sport.

My nickname for Kyle Larson is “The Jockey”, as he looks like one of those little boy jockeys riding race horses. Sounds like one too. I was very glad he was able to return to nascar. But his rear needs to be wiped like anyone else, so dont understand goving the Jockey a pass on all his hard bumps and grinding moves to wreck competitors. With him it’s “hard racing”. With Ross he’s “reckless, too aggressive”. Obviously for Mr. H belly that’s a no no so he’s threatening Trackhouse supply chain, implicitly via press conference and (I’m sure) directly in person. THAT is interfering with the competitive boundaries of the sport.

You seriously can't tell the difference between hard racing and rubbing vs flat out wrecking somebody? Ross gets **** that he doesn't deserve sometimes, but at other times he definitely deserves it. Every driver makes a mistake and wrecks somebody on occasion but it's rare. The problem with Ross is it's rare when he doesn't make a mistake and wreck somebody.

You seriously can't tell the difference between hard racing and rubbing vs flat out wrecking somebody? Ross gets **** that he doesn't deserve sometimes, but at other times he definitely deserves it. Every driver makes a mistake and wrecks somebody on occasion but it's rare. The problem with Ross is it's rare when he doesn't make a mistake and wreck somebody.
Yes…I’ve been watching racing since my first in person race as a kid at Hickory Motor Speedway in 1970. Classic days, different eras, up to now. I know when Ross makes a big screw up…and yes he’s made his share. And I’m telling you his handling and positioning have improved so that his encounters are almost always NO different than those of other aggressive drivers. He races hard, daring, slips into the tightest of spots, but is giving his fellow drivers some space. It might just be a lane, but if they (a la Gragson) can’t handle their lane then so be it. Larson jammed Ross hard and up into the wall on the prior restart. Same thing Truex did earlier which caused Ross to bounce off and spin MTJ. I wish the same had happened to the Jockey, but neither wrecked. Ross and jockey were both going for the win. Ross tried to hold his line and couldn’t keep from making contact. It wasn’t intentional.

My beef is that Rick the Hutt has laid down the threat, in order to suppress Ross and Trackhouse. That is akin to placing a Governor on their racing. NASCAR needs to intervene, which I’m sure they already have since HMS is the “platinum” seat at the table.

I can't really fault Ross for the incidents with gragson, those were racing deals. But the Larson incident was on him. Yes, Larson ran him up to the wall and then stopped going up, they both survived. Ross ran Larson into the wall and then kept moving up. I don't think it was intentional but it was definitely bobeheaded. The truex incident I don't fault Ross for either, that was good racing. If either of them made a mistake it was truex.

You seriously can't tell the difference between hard racing and rubbing vs flat out wrecking somebody?

When you wreck other guys, that's when hard racing ends and flat out wrecking starts. However, Larson wrecked a guy to win on Saturday, so where's the line and why does he think he can complain after that?

Of course there are pure accidents, but after a guy takes you out two or three times it might be time to talk to him. By that I don't mean wrecking him or roughing him up. By that I mean talking to the guy and working it out like men. If that doesn't work, and nascar won't do anything, that's as good as "boys have at it."

Problem is, no one is man enough to do that. As many people who are upset with Ross, it would only take Kyle, Kevin and maybe Hamlim to tell the drivers they won't race against him and then nascar will have to do something. In 1878 the Formula One drivers unanimously did that after Patrese wrecked half the field at Monza, which also saw the loss of Ronne Peterson. There's actually some doubt Patrese actually caused it (video was inconclusive), but they were already upset with him and it was a good excuse. F1 caved and suspended Patrese for the next race. Do that one time with Ross (though give him a playoff exemption) and I'll be he's a brand new guy when he comes back. Right now there is no nascar deterrent to this sort of think and boys have at it never really went away.

Of course, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and nascar may have already fixed it. We just don't know.
Ross gets **** that he doesn't deserve sometimes, but at other times he definitely deserves it. Every driver makes a mistake and wrecks somebody on occasion but it's rare. The problem with Ross is it's rare when he doesn't make a mistake and wreck somebody.
The real problem is he does it almost every race. We had guys like that in karts, and if talking to them didn't work we gave them a little of it back. When half the grid wheels you, you've got to ask yourself if it's you or them that's the problem.

Nascar doesn't seem to want to do anything about it (at least publicly), but you can bet Ross isn't going to get many favors on the track. If he keeps it up, he's just going to reduce himself to being the jam car and everyone's favorite target.

No one is against hard racing, but with Ross it always seems to end up in with someone getting taken out. He took himself out last week, but that didn't help Kyle. Ross just needs to be a bit more careful and respect the other competitors a little more.

I can't really fault Ross for the incidents with gragson, those were racing deals. But the Larson incident was on him.
We can almost excuse that as racing, but the real problem is Ross was already in trouble with a lot of guys, and that accident just gave his critics ammunition. Ross just needs to keep racing hard, but simply give the other guy a little room. I don't think this would require a big adjustment. Just stop wrecking people.

If the wreck was retaliation as some suggest, Ross ended up with a trashed car and poor finish too, so how did that work out for him? This payback mentality is going to get someone hurt. It's probably ok at Martinsville or a road course, but does Ross really want to go to Talladega with a target on his door? Is the rest of the field comfortable racing him there after all that has transpired and as many people as Ross has cheesed off?

I don't hate the guy and really don't know much about him, but all this angst isn't coming out of nothing. Maybe Kyle mouths off from time to time, but Harvick and Hamlin are usually pretty measured when they speak.

The mellon man or whatever is probably going through a phase, be it a bad one. Reminds me a bit of Ernie Irvan back in the day, where he couldn't do anything right.

The mellon man or whatever is probably going through a phase, be it a bad one. Reminds me a bit of Ernie Irvan back in the day, where he couldn't do anything right.

That has been brought up by some tv and radio personalities. We will see if Ross is motivated to own up or continue on as he has been.

I know comparisons to Eanrhardt make some cringe but when those are made it's not to the 6 time champ, it's to the younger version trying to make a name for himself. Plus, hard to compare since competition then was less than it is today.

Back
Top Bottom