Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

How was it any different than Sterling getting out to fix the fender? I know he didn’t touch the car, but come on. The field stopped and he drove in circles to “Fix” his car to put out a fire. I know it’s a stretch, but typical NASCAR…. How is it driver protection? He could have gotten out
:rolleyes:
Yeah, Just let a $250-$500k cup car burn to the ground.

Tony has a goldmine of interviews but I think this is the GOAT interview.

What kills me is Bob Pocrass trying to break in, and ask "I can't tell if your upset or what".

And Tony doubles down "No, I'm upset that we didn't crash more cars!"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The way he delivered all that sarcasm without any cracks in his facade kills me every time. This interview and Jack Hewitt's "Kiss My Dick" interview are never not funny. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Still should have been a penalty.
It was ruled in the same vein as a safety crew under red putting out a tire fire and the driver drove off when it went back to yellow. You can yeah but until you are blue in the face but that is the way they ruled it.

This is a good breakdown.

What is worrisome for me is the window net coming un attached.

The way he delivered all that sarcasm without any cracks in his facade kills me every time.
His delivery is just marvelous. I've made a career out of giving computer users a load of malarkey when they ask what's wrong ("It's your inverse reverberator; you have left-handed one."), and but I aspire to this level of stone-faced bulls#!t.

So to those who think Keselowski deserved to be penalized.

Brad did not break a rule. Putting out a fire in an safe area away from drivers and driving in a circle is not improving the performance of the car. Self-extiguishing a fire with heads up thinking is a safety precaution. Should be thanking Brad from a possible growing into something more.

To sit there and say it's a penalty is kinda wild.

How about drivers learn how to drive this style instead of driving like moronic assholes? Human error isn’t inevitable, we’ve had a caution free pack race. I am tired of fans making excuses for poor driving.

We’ve had pack racing for over 20 years at this point. When done well, it’s great. When done poorly, you get the **** we’ve seen the last few years.

Plate racing is a skill, these assholes need to learn it.
Pack racing has a very unique, specific skill set that I would be more willing to enjoy and appreciate if it weren’t for over half the field getting caught up in wrecks each race. This past race had one big one but that was relatively tame compared to most.

Where the “luck” factor comes in is how much more you’re at the mercy of everyone around you when it comes to these tracks. Whether it’s an untimely accident that you can’t react too or needing a certain amount of help/“energy” to make a move - or defend one - the degree to which you control your own fate can be pretty low. When most of the field is covered by a blanket your day can be ruined by someone running ten spots ahead that much more easily. And that isn’t something I can easily brush off.

These cars used to have less drag and less horsepower at plate tracks and could get a bit more spread out, depended on handling more, and didn’t have as much of a parachute on the back if you tried to jump out of line to start making a move. The Gen 4 cars especially were slower but more handling-dependent - and so were the tracks themselves. But, they changed the package in 2019 or so when they got all hung up cost reduction, and that carried over to the Next Gen as well. Maybe it’s time for a rethink.

The most violent crash in the history of NASCAR happened this past weekend. Let that sink in. I'm glad Preece is ok, hoping he finishes the season strong. He's got talent.

The most violent crash in the history of NASCAR happened this past weekend. Let that sink in. I'm glad Preece is ok, hoping he finishes the season strong. He's got talent.
I don't know how long you have been watching Nascar, but take a gander at these
1693374534594.jpeg

Google Don MacTavish but please dont post any of the graphic images here.
Thankfully I didn't see it, and I didn't know he was in 1969, I was to young.

But what happened to Don MacTavish in his racing crash at Daytona was haunting and heartbreaking. It was like a war scene that you wish you could forget.

Did you just start watching nascar this year? Honestly when cars go airborne and start flipping the crash is less violent than when a car hits the wall or another car, they just look a lot worse.

His delivery is just marvelous. I've made a career out of giving computer users a load of malarkey when they ask what's wrong ("It's your inverse reverberator; you have left-handed one."), and but I aspire to this level of stone-faced bulls#!t.
I did not appreciate Tony when he was around.

I genuinely think he's the best personality the sport has ever seen. No disrespect to DW or Dale.

Tony was successful enough where you kind of took him seriously. But he brought a combination of sarcasm, humor, histrionics, and tantrums to the sport in a way that no drivers before him did. We had Jaws/DW, and cool and a cucumber Dale...but Tony just brought an entirely different level of personality to the sport.

Holy **** do I miss his presence.

LOL recency bias much?

This wreck takes the cake. Genuinely was lucky to be alive.

Nothing is worse than a truck getting launched into the wall/fence at 190 mph, literally exploding and disintegrating the body, tumbling 8 times, getting pounded and launched 20 feet in the air in flames, and then tumbling 4 morr times.

Exactly. Tell me you’re not old enough to remember Michael Waltrip at Bristol without telling me you’re too young
I'm not old enough, that wreck happened two years before I was born. But I've definitely seen it a bunch.

Remember that commercial when the fan brings Michael Waltrip a bunch of diecast cars to sign, and then he brings a "diecast" version of his bristol wreck car and it's just a bunch of diecast pieces?

"Wooooo what a wreck"

Back
Top Bottom