Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

So what criteria are we using to judge if its an acceptable move or not? The spotter up on top, sorry the limit to jump in front of a car is 5mph and that guys coming at 6mph? I think the less we force Nascar to make judgement calls the better.
Amen brother. All a person has to do is watch a couple of "unnamed" racing series struggle with race control adding yet another element to the organized chaos that is motor racing.

So what criteria are we using to judge if its an acceptable move or not? The spotter up on top, sorry the limit to jump in front of a car is 5mph and that guys coming at 6mph? I think the less we force Nascar to make judgement calls the better.

Honestly if you just got rid of the most egregious examples, it would greatly improve the quality of racing. Stevie Wonder could tell you that some of these blocks are just asinine.

Honestly if you just got rid of the most egregious examples, it would greatly improve the quality of racing. Stevie Wonder could tell you that some of these blocks are just asinine.

There just isn’t any accountability anymore.

Ok, so who's making the calls and what is the guideline? We going to have a dedicated bad block official up in the tower for every race now? Because in order to be fair they'd need to enforce all bad blocks, not just the ones at the front of the pack and caught on tv

Ok, so who's making the calls and what is the guideline? We going to have a dedicated bad block official up in the tower for every race now? Because in order to be fair they'd need to enforce all bad blocks, not just the ones at the front of the pack and caught on tv

I don’t have the answers but the drivers have to self-police and that’s difficult with this car.

Ok, so who's making the calls and what is the guideline? We going to have a dedicated bad block official up in the tower for every race now?

Aggressive driving is already technically against the rules and it used to actually be called on drivers. When aggressive driving can take out half the field, NASCAR should actually you know..give a ****.

There's a difference between intentional aggressive driving and a poorly timed lane change with no malicious intent. Bad decisions aren’t automatically bad behavior.

I don’t think it would hurt if they slowed the cars down a bit or strung out the field a touch more. If you have the field stacked 3x3 for so long, all it takes one guy’s mistake to wipe out half the field (like Bowman so elegantly did).

The way the Gen7 is, the cars are inherently very draggy (single-car qualifying speeds are the slowest they’ve been since the 1960’s), but then work that much better in the draft - still topping out at around 200 MPH in the pack. The runs they’re generating have a lot more momentum than in the past, so there’s 1) a lot more pushing and 2) blocks being thrown at increased closing rates. This past weekend it seems like it was a lot more #1, pretty much everything seemed to be a result of someone having another guy absolutely jacked up and driving through them.

Possible change to the fuel savings game. (sniped from reddit)

NASCAR to examine fuel-saving strategy teams used in Daytona 500​

This seems like an overreaction. It’s a 500-mile race, so I wouldn’t expect it to be flat out 100% of the time anyways, but the way the first caution fell plus the first stage length gave some teams the impression they could make it if they tried, which they quickly found out they couldn’t.

If you have the field stacked 3x3 for so long, all it takes one guy’s mistake to wipe out half the field (like Bowman so elegantly did).

Which is one reason why I'm in favor of increasing enforcement of the aggressive driving rule on plate tracks. I'm generally okay with aggressive driving (and honestly like when drivers show passion) but when your mistake can junk half the field, it warrants closer inspection.

There's a difference between intentional aggressive driving and a poorly timed lane change with no malicious intent. Bad decisions aren’t automatically bad behavior.
Bowman pushed..... Then pushed again.
Almost like it was HMS strategy.
If you are top 5 and cause it.... Odds are you escape the wreck you caused.

Guys push all the time in these races. Sooner or later, someone is going to get it wrong. The constantly shifting aero can change what was effective two seconds ago into being too far left or right. The guy behind trying to push you can't tell you're already pushing, and the guy in front of you has no say in the situation.

Want to ban pushing entirely? I'll back you, but how do officials decide if the back car pushed or the front car came back to it?

This seems like an overreaction. It’s a 500-mile race, so I wouldn’t expect it to be flat out 100% of the time anyways, but the way the first caution fell plus the first stage length gave some teams the impression they could make it if they tried, which they quickly found out they couldn’t.
Take the advantage out of sipping fuel for 450 miles works for me. Quicken the fuel delivery. I was guessing they would change the stages up. Theirs is a much better idea. Nothing will probably be done until next year if at all. I think that would be under the major change rule. But Nascar isn't going to let them ride around like a parade.

Yep and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to tell the difference between the two. Hamlin should give lessons on how to wreck somebody and make it look unintentional. Wallace? needs more training.

Jeff Gordon said Bowman did just what he was supposed to do, but he said these cars are so aero sensitive that sometimes the smallest push can upset them, and things just don't work out like planned. Heck when I watched Bowman get up behind Larson in the Duel it didn't even look like he actually made contact, but it sure got Larson loose. Here is NASCAR explaining why the win went to Byron.

Jeff Gordon said Bowman did just what he was supposed to do, but he said these cars are so aero sensitive that sometimes the smallest push can upset them, and things just don't work out like planned. Heck when I watched Bowman get up behind Larson in the Duel it didn't even look like he actually made contact, but it sure got Larson loose. Here is NASCAR explaining why the win went to Byron.
A lot of energy was up at the front. The pack was pushing a lot of air when they went to full song.

A lot of energy was up at the front. The pack was pushing a lot of air when they went to full song.
Yep, like Jeff said, Alex was being a good teammate, but things just didn't work out like planned. On to Atlanta.

Back
Top Bottom