Cup RACE thread --- Homestead

Do we even know though if Joey saw this?
Not 100%, but he had a choice to move out of the way and we saw that he chose not to. Either way it is still not a good idea to ruffle any feathers on raceday. imo

Denny has impressed me for a while. Masterclass driving tonight. The 4 best cars tonight were the 11, 9, 12, and the 8. Denny is the best driver out of the 4, and he had the best car. Masterclass driving tonight. Even when Chase stayed within 0.3 of him, the race was never in any doubt. Denny knows how to execute races now and he doesn't often make mistakes.

Denny is a damn good race car driver. Damn good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dennis the Shamlin will never be as good as Mark Martin. I don't care how many wins he has.

Hamlin's one of the best drivers in the sport today, if not all time.

His resurgence the past year-and-a-half has been pretty remarkable. He looked like he was on his way out entering the 2019 season. Now he's looking like a surefire first ballot hall of famer.

Chase moved into 2nd in points tonight, 8 back of Harv. Not a bad night despite not winning.
Yep, HMS still has the 9 and the 88 in the top ten. Even with how the lottery can roll at Talladega and cost you a DNF I'm not to worried about the 9 team because one bad race isn't going to hurt them to bad...but I don't think the 88 can afford another bad race and still stay in the top ten.

His resurgence the past year-and-a-half has been pretty remarkable. He looked like he was on his way out entering the 2019 season. Now he's looking like a surefire first ballot hall of famer.

When his head is right, he is remarkable. I think that when he and Gabehart feel like they have something to prove, they are tough. Don't think for a second that the tape deal wasn't on their minds. They have great energy that can spill over to arrogance, but not tonight. Completely on it. Total domination.

Well, hello Chippy Chase.....Back to the Hard Working Chase tomorrow....and down the line, Chasing History!

There is a valuable lesson to learn here Chase. Don't take jabs at someone on the same day that you have to race them... especially when they are already upset and feel they owe you one. It will usually not work in your favor. :)

Afraid to talk to Joey face-to-face, but lips off to the Hooter's girl. I mean who is this guy? Flipper offer? Badass? Above it all guy? Can't get a read on him.

Hell yeah Denny!!! Unreal driving by him today, may be the best race he’s driven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! He said post-race that he didn't run wall in 1-2 because he was thinking about what he threw away in Bristol. A very interesting line through that turn--one that hurt Chase. When he is good, he is really good.

Top 20 points after Homestead

1592210996133.png

Yep, HMS still has the 9 and the 88 in the top ten. Even with how the lottery can roll at Talladega and cost you a DNF I'm not to worried about the 9 team because one bad race isn't going to hurt them to bad...but I don't think the 88 can afford another bad race and still stay in the top ten.
48 isn't too far behind!

The 24 is the one I'm a bit concerned about. I thought he would have moved up just the littlest bit from where he seems to be at right now performance-wise.

I thought you were a well researched journalist.

15 FT seasons. 0 championships. 40 wins = commendable. Average finish, 13.6.

Best driver in the sport today if not all time? Wow.

Denny isnt even in the top 5 in points this season. Meanwhile 2 of his teammates are outperforming him and both have 3 championships together.

Get outta here.

He's an expert also. won thousands of races and all

Afraid to talk to Joey face-to-face, but lips off to the Hooter's girl. I mean who is this guy? Flipper offer? Badass? Above it all guy? Can't get a read on him.

Most popular driver will suffice. Way more popular than Denny Da weasel.

I don’t....well I can understand the Denny hate. If I may, he really reminds of Jay Cutler, former QB for the Chicago Bears with bit with more success (3x Daytona 500, 3x Southern 500 winner) ...a face you just want to punch or a guy you want to cheer against because of his @sshole demeanor( and I was a Cutler fan!) . For me personally I don’t particularly cheer for Denny because he always seems to put his foot in his mouth, can’t rise to the occasion when the chips (ships) are on the table, and seems to run his mouth when he can’t back it up when again the stakes are the highest. I don’t as a fan want to hear about a championship season when he has proven at least 3 times before he chokes, just go out and do it, an I would probably applaud for him. But to say he’s not a top driver today? He constantly is a multi time winner for your organization if you had him and if things break right, he races to the Championship Four most years. You have to get there to win and Denny has proven he can at least get there. I’d put Kyle Busch, Harvick, Logano and maybe Kez over him right now as things are in this current season, there would be no shame for me if Denny was my team’s top driver

Denny isnt even in the top 5 in points this season. Meanwhile 2 of his teammates are outperforming him and both have 3 championships together.

Get outta here.
Denny these last two seasons so far have been the best version I've seen of him. Last year, he won when he needed to and it wasn't even his fault that they lost the championship. They were right in the hunt at Homestead until his CC Chris Gabehart placed a whole supply of gorilla tape to the front of the car.

Denny last year and right now is a top 5, if not top 3 at the moment. He's been that good for the most part, the inconsistency issues he had before are not prevalent like they used to be. The hate is unwarranted and if he wins a championship, it will completely flip the script on his already HOF ready career.

He is an all-time great and if he can cap at least one of these two amazing years off with that trophy, it will be that feather in the cap he needs. Denny has won 40 times, that is incredible in itself.

Not sure if serious? Denny Hamlin wouldnt make the Top 15

I’m no fan of Denny Hamlin. But to deny the ability of a 40 time winner in the Cup series is childish. He just needs that championship. Only thing lacking in a HOF resume.

Pretty ironic that Denny just tied Mark Martin on the all-time wins list. His career has paralleled Mark’s in some ways. Always a threat to win, any type of track, any given week. Circumstances both self inflicted, and not have denied them a Cup championship.

Don’t get it twisted. I’m not saying Denny is Mark. Polar opposite personalities. In his hey day Mark was WAY more consistent. I’ve only seen that out of Denny the last season and a half.

Denny does have a Daytona 500 trophy(x3) that Mark doesn’t though.

It looked like some drivers could pass with ease at times and had to be more methodical at times. Lagano exercised his right of retaliation without wrecking Elliot. Watching Reddick was fun. In the end, the steady veteran won the day but the younger drivers are making their mark being in contention at the end of races.

Denny these last two seasons so far have been the best version I've seen of him. Last year, he won when he needed to and it wasn't even his fault that they lost the championship. They were right in the hunt at Homestead until his CC Chris Gabehart placed a whole supply of gorilla tape to the front of the car.

Denny last year and right now is a top 5, if not top 3 at the moment. He's been that good for the most part, the inconsistency issues he had before are not prevalent like they used to be. The hate is unwarranted and if he wins a championship, it will completely flip the script on his already HOF ready career.

He is an all-time great and if he can cap at least one of these two amazing years off with that trophy, it will be that feather in the cap he needs. Denny has won 40 times, that is incredible in itself.
In my opinion he is a Matt Kenseth-like equivalent at best, he just hasn’t been able to perform well enough when he needed to win a championship. He very well still can. But labeling him as even close to the best is disingenuous.

Successful? Yes.
As far as his name on the list of all time? Maybe crack the top 20.

He has the potential to rattle off 10+ more wins in his career and maybe a championship or two. Until that time he should be judged on his career as it’s happened, not what could be.

Get outta here.
You put to much

Get outta here.
I'm not agreeing with Andy that Denny is the best or even close to being the best "he is definitely a very good driver though", but points are over rated and I definitely can't use what you posted to discredit Andy. Points and championships only show how good a team is or was as a whole, not the individual driver. That's why unless I'm talking directly about a driver I usually use car numbers in my posts. This is a team sport, but not like basketball where they keep separate scoring points for each player. I don't consider Michael Jordan the best ever because of how many championships the Bulls won...but I do by watching him play the game.

It looked like some drivers could pass with ease at times and had to be more methodical at times. Lagano exercised his right of retaliation without wrecking Elliot. Watching Reddick was fun. In the end, the steady veteran won the day but the younger drivers are making their mark being in contention at the end of races.
Part of it that could have made it even more meaningfull is that Logano was running like crap, and Elliott moved up a spot in the standings running well. The spot he took was Logano's

There has been a lot of good reasons brought up why he didn't get out of their way.

I've always liked Denny. He came in & had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. If he can add a championship to his resume, that'd be huge for his legacy. He has 40 wins & looks to have many years left in the tank & is driving for a top tier organization.

The driver of one of the midgets I use to haul to the Chili Bowl did the same thing a few years ago while leading her heat race.

Every time Carl Edwards would win he would say is it really over? I used to always think it was kind of stupid. Now, it doesn't seem so dumb.
Whats even worse is the digital dash has a mode for lap counter. I’m sure Tyler will have that turned on in the future.

Every time Carl Edwards would win he would say is it really over? I used to always think it was kind of stupid. Now, it doesn't seem so dumb.
I know!

Every win.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've always liked Denny. He came in & had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. If he can add a championship to his resume, that'd be huge for his legacy. He has 40 wins & looks to have many years left in the tank & is driving for a top tier organization.

I love him when he wins.

Not sure if serious? Denny Hamlin wouldnt make the Top 15

Depends on what qualifies for the best....Stats? Maybe not, but I might be naive here, but I think that @AndyMarquisLive is talking about driving talent. When Denny wheels it at Martinsville (when the car isn't ****), or drives like he did last night, I see him as one of the best...best ever?....I leave that to others to decide, but what Denny did last night was masterful. His line into 1-2 was only his. He only drove the car as hard as he needed to. Really fun to watch when he is on like that. I think that I understood what Andy was getting at.

[
Depends on what qualifies for the best....Stats? Maybe not, but I might be naive here, but I think that @AndyMarquisLive is talking about driving talent. When Denny wheels it at Martinsville (when the car isn't ****), or drives like he did last night, I see him as one of the best...best ever?....I leave that to others to decide, but what Denny did last night was masterful. His line into 1-2 was only his. He only drove the car as hard as he needed to. Really fun to watch when he is on like that. I think that I understood what Andy was getting at.
Nonsense, he blocked Elliott's line. They must have got their bondo cans back

[

Nonsense, he blocked Elliott's line. They must have got their bondo cans back

Denny was down low in 1-2, and at the fence in 3-4 with Chasey. What Chasey gained on exit of 4, Denny got back 1-2. Denny himself said that he left time on that line because he was concerned about Bristoling again--not Chasey's **** up....his own. I think the Chevy engineering team is already running out of steam.

Denny was never down low unless down low was half a car from the top fence. Hamlin needed to thank Logano for being lapped traffic..is Kyle racing in the cup series or has he designated to the trucks?.

About 13:48 or so Denny talks about running the bottom, but then, what the hell does he know right? How was the beer during the race? Maybe you were sleeping at the end?

Back
Top Bottom