Cup RACE thread --- Nashville

I need to meet the people who showed up to FGS thinking there was a Cup race there yesterday

I need to meet the people who showed up to FGS thinking there was a Cup race there yesterday

Got a bridge to sell them?
Well I got a few stories (mostly from the 80s)

-My brother fell asleep on the couch with Earnhardt leading at Darlington in the late '80s. When he woke up, Earnhardt was still leading.

But we told my brother that Dale had to go behind the wall for a repair while he had been asleep and that Dale was many laps down in spite of his field position ahead of the pack.

We were all rooting for Dale, but it was funny seeing my brother's temporary disappointment. He stepped outside, shaking his head, and smoked a cigarette to calm down before he figured it out.

- I remember playing a backyard football game with some college friends on a Saturday in the 1980s that ended around 6 p.m. It was late September or October, and the Asheville Speedway was having what was probably its last race of the season that night (they usually raced on Friday nights), so I decided on a whim to go to the race that was at least an hour away from Travelers Rest, SC.

I was working my way through college during those days and failed to realize that I had not deposited my paycheck, and I only had about $7 or $8 in my pocket. I only discovered the problem when I stopped to gas up.

I knew I had a problem then and that the admission ticket would cost a little bit more for a 100 or 200 lap season finale but I was close enough to the track to finish the drive and find out if I had enough money. I filled up the gas tank with a gas card.

The ticket cost $10 or $12, and I told the woman selling tickets that I had a little more than half the money. She gave me one of those looks that was scary even for a college kid.

I didn't drive that far for nothing, so I pulled the carpet out of the truck, digging for extra coins. The truck was older, and I had cut up and laid some old house carpet in the truck about a year before. A lot of hectic drive-through eating while working full-time through college had led me to believe that I would find some loose coins under the seats, etc.

I still was about half a dollar short when I finished but the lady finally let me in the gates. I am not sure if she believed me or just was weary over my story.

- On another occasion, my cousin and I took off for a 200-lapper at the Jeffco Speedway (Jefferson, GA), eventually renamed Peach State Speedway. When we got there, there was only one car in the pit area still on the hauler. I suppose he didn't get the word about the cancellation either.

I don't know how anyone crossed up the Fairgrounds with the track in Lebanon, Tennessee, this past weekend. It is so easy to confirm things on the internet in today's world. But back in the day, there were just a few radio advertisements, some newspaper ads, etc.
I would hear about it and just go. It worked better than my post makes it sound. I just listed a few mix-ups covering a span of about 25 to 30 years.

HERE IT IS This is why it is important to get the locations right Dammit It is Fort Worth, Texas, Concord NC, and damn Lebanon Tennesse!

The victims who showed up in Nashville should get themselves a lawyer. Some husband in Nashville probably lost the respect of his wife or girlfriend over the mix-up, and he should file an alienation of affection lawsuit. Nascar told em it was in Nashville.
And it is Nascar's fault that you had to read this long windbaggy post, too.

1719853133707.jpeg

Here’s our long awaited explanation. I had no idea a rule of this nature existed. I’ve been a fan since I was like 4 years old, never seen it enforced on track

1719928102401.gif

Somebody deleted my post about the Gerbils hyperventilating about Busch being put back in 4th. These guys were way out of line. They are not officials. What they do have is thinking they are experts when they aren't. Even I knew they were wrong. They should apologize to all of the fans that they jerked off who believed them.

“His spots weren’t taken away because our rule clearly states that you must maintain a reasonable speed,” Moran said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “ And reasonable speed is for what track conditions are at the time.

Reactions: Pat
Years ago Marcus Ambrose was leading the race at Watkins Glenn under a caution. He was shutting the car off and back on to save fuel. It didn't start quick enough and he rolled to a stop. When it did re-start he moved up to first. Nascar put him back and said because he stopped, he didn't maintain speed. Kyle Busch had to slow to avoid the wreck under caution.

This stuff happens all the time. Maybe it's enforced correctly, maybe it's not. I think we just noticed this one more because it was Kyle Busch and because it was a big difference, between starting 4th and started 30th. To be honest, I had no idea you could slow to avoid a wreck and get your spot back.

This stuff happens all the time. Maybe it's enforced correctly, maybe it's not. I think we just noticed this one more because it was Kyle Busch and because it was a big difference, between starting 4th and started 30th. To be honest, I had no idea you could slow/stop to avoid a wreck and get your spot back.

You can only do it when NASCAR lets you. Most of the time they don't.

This stuff happens all the time. Maybe it's enforced correctly, maybe it's not. I think we just noticed this one more because it was Kyle Busch and because it was a big difference, between starting 4th and started 30th. To be honest, I had no idea you could slow to avoid a wreck and get your spot back.
You said what I was trying to say way more eloquently than how I did but yes this is what I was trying to say.

For sure. Sometimes the rule isn't enforced. That happens also. The gerbils will be wanting somebody in a striped outfit, throwing the flag, stopping the race and putting the cars back before the flag. They have no business acting like officials, race control, in the drivers head or whatever. Announce the damn race and don't go where you have no business going.

Back
Top Bottom