Cup RACE thread --- on dirt, Bristol

could make your butthurt
I mean, my mudhole

tenor.gif

I really enjoyed yesterdays race and am already looking forward to next years cup on the dirt at Bristol. If this flourishes and enough interest is shown then I wouldn't have a problem with them adding another dirt race on the schedule in the future. I also wouldn't be surprised if the big teams bring an experienced dirt car crew chief in as an advisor to work with the teams crew chief. If this happens and Goodyear works on the tires a little, the drivers get a little more experience, they change the race to a night race, they work on the mud sticking to the windshield and airduct problem, and NASCAR does scheduled track prep during the race I think this could become one of the best races on the tour.

I was skeptical but I was pleasantly surprised that the race was entertaining (I was expecting a caution filled race). I thought it was an equalizer since the drivers and teams didn't know what to expect (I thought the big teams didn't have a better car advantage). I thought is was more of a drivers race. It was also a randomizer, a crash tended to collect other cars (a small version of the big one). The top 10 shows the drivers that adapted well and escaped the wrecks. I was impressed with Suarez, he adapted really well for someone with no dirt experience. The announcers speculated that they detuned the car for him and it worked, you can bet other teams will look into that.

Now the teams have to develop dirt cars to go along with their superspeedway cars, short track cars and road course cars.

I was skeptical but I was pleasantly surprised that the race was entertaining (I was expecting a caution filled race). I thought it was an equalizer since the drivers and teams didn't know what to expect (I thought the big teams didn't have a better car advantage). I thought is was more of a drivers race. It was also a randomizer, a crash tended to collect other cars (a small version of the big one). The top 10 shows the drivers that adapted well and escaped the wrecks. I was impressed with Suarez, he adapted really well for someone with no dirt experience. The announcers speculated that they detuned the car for him and it worked, you can bet other teams will look into that.

Now the teams have to develop dirt cars to go along with their superspeedway cars, short track cars and road course cars.
The teams all went in cold turkey but now they have some data and a baseline to work with for next year to make their cars perform better.

Hmm decisions decisions. Do I want to go to some obscure smallish dirt track across from Charlotte Speedway with very limited seating and pit areas, or would I rather go to a Nascar iconic track like Bristol. No brainer.
StandOnit, I noticed you gave the race a high 9 rating... what do you think would make the race even better then it was?

The teams all went in cold turkey but now they have some data and a baseline to work with for next year to make their cars perform better.
They will have a new car to work with so the data may be null and void. It’ll be interesting.

They will have a new car to work with so the data may be null and void. It’ll be interesting.
You are right I had forgot about the new car. I also expect them to have a new tire and that may change things a little.

StandOnit, I noticed you gave the race a high 9 rating... what do you think would make the race even better then it was?
Pretty simple for me anyway. They need more track workers and equipment to work on the rutts and keep the dust down and better cooling for the cars...but they know all of that. Interesting that Nascar's fan council survey asked a whole bunch of questions about the race and future ones. Even what tracks would be good besides Bristol. I think at the very least there will be at least one dirt race a year maybe more in the future.

Pretty simple for me anyway. They need more track workers and equipment to work on the rutts and keep the dust down and better cooling for the cars...but they know all of that. Interesting that Nascar's fan council survey asked a whole bunch of questions about the race and future ones. Even what tracks would be good besides Bristol. I think at the very least there will be at least one dirt race a year maybe more in the future.
I think a night race would be better...what's your thought? It would definitely eliminate the sun blinding the drivers and be cooler for the fans in the stands.

I think a night race would be better...what's your thought? It would definitely eliminate the sun blinding the drivers and be cooler for the fans in the stands.
I think so much of that is because of TV scheduling. With a year or more lead time I would be surprised if the race was in the daytime the next race.

What a puss Hamlin is. His spotter or CC or whoever was basically telling him what to do. Hell, even Joey has said he’s going to rough you up for a win and has said he expects the same. I’m glad he wussed out. Going to be interesting to see how Joey reacts when it’s done to him. I hope he doesn’t turn into a hypocrite. I think he and Elliot’s issue last year may be an indication BUT that was more of a stupid move taking them both out and Joey expected ownership of it.
Joey's victory interview basically highlights why one is a champion and the other isn't. Denny has the talent to be a Champion, but not the mentality.

When Joey referenced noticing Denny went up high for speed, he said "well I don't know how to do that". Humble, and confident enough to admit a simple fault. Denny would never admit something like that. It's a small observation, but it's honestly enough.

Denny just isn't a winner between his ears.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Evidently Michael Jordan must think he has something between his ears enough to invest in a team with him.

Joey's victory interview basically highlights why one is a champion and the other isn't. Denny has the talent to be a Champion, but not the mentality.

When Joey referenced noticing Denny went up high for speed, he said "well I don't know how to do that". Humble, and confident enough to admit a simple fault. Denny would never admit something like that. It's a small observation, but it's honestly enough.

Yet he’s a 3 time Daytona 500 winner

That's one way of looking at it. The other would be if Joey said I can't see why in the hell did Hambone do that he lost 4 places. That's what the rest of us were thinking

I agree. Joey is pretty humble and self deprecating. I like that. And Hamlin is not capable of admitting when he’s beat or wrong....blamed the track....🙄

If Hamlin had turned Logano the screeching would still be echoing all over the InterGoogle.
Screeching in happiness? Only way I see any screeching occurring due to the dislike of Joey. The boos definitely were prevalent during his interview....

Screeching in happiness? Only way I see any screeching occurring due to the dislike of Joey. The boos definitely were prevalent during his interview....
“We” fired Hamlin before the 2019 season because screeching.

ughs.... all this "hammy-hate" but we at RF are quick to say we dont want drivers to be vanilla too. "have more personality!" "NOOO not like that"

I'm not a Hamlin fan but I still didn't see anything wrong with his interview. He basically stated the facts. They didn't prep the top like they had before and when he went up there it didn't work for him like it did earlier in the day.

They said all day that the top will dry out along with the whole track and the fastest way around is around the bottom. Just like the Bristol of old until they roughed up the surface. Hamlin was slamming into his own teammates earlier, but said he didn't want to move Joey? His first problem was trying to out start Logano at the GWC laps, He didn't come close and then he made that problem worse by thinking ..yeah I'll catch up and get by him on the top. Fell back three got one back and Stenhouse passed Suarez and Hamlin for second. The B.S. was Hamlin with the I could of won it but I'm a nice guy story. Logano said I don't care who was behind me I am looking for a bumper..Now that is the truth, Logano was looking for it and I bet he would have had something for whoever did it.

Winless Hamlin tops the chart, Larson fell 2 places, Truex up one and Logano moves up into second and a highly possible playoff spot. SHR continues to under perform with Harvick and Almirola loosing 2, Custer loosing 1 spot and Briscoe staying the same in 27th. Stinky stinky

1617145223345.png

I think next year things are going to be different. This was a one-off race so I suspect minimal expense and preparedness was done by most teams. If they are building all new cars for next year, I think the best teams will have a car especially built for the new body and dirt. This could be a sign of the future. Does Nascar already own a dirt track or racing series?

Looks like a Northern Ontario rabbit-hole.

Never go there.

We were on vacation last weekend, but I did get the see most of stage 2 and part of stage 3 of the race. The race went as I expected. Some early excitement, then got to be really dusty and one lane. I don't care if you're running light weight sprint cars or 3400 lb stock cars, the track will get one groove with that many laps on it. It was ho-hum.

Since they have announced they will be doing this again next year, I hope they run these races at night - rain out or not. The racing should be better, the track should be better, and less dusty.

That's one way of looking at it. The other would be if Joey said I can't see why in the hell did Hambone do that he lost 4 places. That's what the rest of us were thinking
Sure. Either way, it amounts to Hamlin not being able to get it done. Regardless of how difficult he made his own job.

Back
Top Bottom