Cup RACE thread --- Sonoma

Okay, I'm with you so far.

But fuel and pit strategy is going to be a factor on road courses, and in genuine auto racing generally. That is until they decide that the final stage starts with ten to go.
At least at Sonoma, the deal with stages is that they segregate the field into those who play to win and those who play for points. If you want to race for the win you pit a couple of laps prior to the stage end (especially in Stage 2). If you're playing for points you pit during the stage cautions. Unless you have an incredible car or not many have opted into pitting early, you're probably not winning from pitting under the last stage break - assuming all stays green as it did today.

With no stages it's more of a decision between 2-stopping or 3-stopping and when do you time those stops to maximize your strategy.

This is an embarrassment for the sport. I’m literally pissed watching this, a 13 second win? You know why there were no cautions? Because there was absolutely no bumping which has made road courses so thrilling in the past

A GWC is more embarrassing and disgusting to me.

Suarez spins during the race and we see it half an hour into post-race.

Get off my ******* lawn, FOX.
I had already gotten up and missed most of the ordeal between the 19 and the 48. Oh well, doesn't look like it was too big of a deal, no hard feelings between them. FOX, though, will be parting on bad terms with everyone. :p

Rodney Childers and the 4 crew got faked out by the 78 crew.

The only fake that even compares to that on this day is DW telling us all that Blaney was having arm cramps and repeatedly pulling off only to be sent back out.

I had already gotten up and missed most of the ordeal between the 19 and the 48. Oh well, doesn't look like it was too big of a deal, no hard feelings between them. FOX, though, will be parting on bad terms with everyone. :p
I dont think the 48 even touched the 19

A GWC is more embarrassing and disgusting to me.

It’s not about a GWC. As I said on the rate the race thread it’s that there was literally hardly any racing. I appreciate the skill of the strategy but ******** that made for a lack of entertaining race, who the hell wants to watch a guy winning by 20 seconds coasting around a damn road course because everyone guessed wrong? Also why are these races becoming pure strategic?

Not everyone has to be a slobber knocker but I guess I’m so used to watching IMSA that this was like taking a damn nap. I would’ve been pissed if the Mid Ohio race I attended was this drawn out and that was a completely caution free race!

It’s sad bc I do enjoy road course racing, yet the NASCAR version has turned into something quite terrible as of late

It’s not about a GWC. As I said on the rate the race thread it’s that there was literally hardly any racing. I appreciate the skill of the strategy but ******** that made for a lack of entertaining race, who the hell wants to watch a guy winning by 20 seconds coasting around a damn road course because everyone guessed wrong? Also why are these races becoming pure strategic?

Not everyone has to be a slobber knocker but I guess I’m so used to watching IMSA that this was like taking a damn nap. I would’ve been pissed if the Mid Ohio race I attended was this drawn out and that was a completely caution free race!

It’s sad bc I do enjoy road course racing, yet the NASCAR version has turned into something quite terrible as of late

I like it intense as well. But sometimes a dominant car stinks it up. It is an unavoidable reality.

Take a break from the sport if it isn’t working for you. It’s not a big deal.

The reason it's terrible is because of the stages. If you don't know when there is a yellow coming, then you have to race. Do away with the stages on the road courses and you get back the kind of racing you like. Maybe Bruton was right, have a caution every twenty laps, then nobody will win by more than five seconds. At least everybody would be on the lead lap. Participation trophies for everyone.

Take a break from the sport if it isn’t working for you. It’s not a big deal.

Why would I take a break? I’m a big fan of this package, I’m not a fan at all of what road course racing has became in NASCAR. Sorry but strategy like when Newman stayed out on two tires at Phoenix last year for the win was really thrilling. Truex waiting to pit with an hour to go wasn’t exactly riveting. Regardless a call like that shouldn’t have determined the race to that amount.

I just think road courses and short tracks are getting worse and worse honestly as NASCAR becomes more open wheel styled. The lack of bumping has became so apparent as these cars are so aero dependent anymore and have unbelievable speed, we saw this at Martinsville earlier this year where basically nobody rubbed fenders. IMO NASCAR needs to either have different compounds or something high falloff at road courses. You can’t have a race strategy decided that soon, I give credit to Cole Pearn once again but holy **** it was blatantly obvious a caution wouldn’t come out

While I don’t advocate stupidity or pack racing every week, it’d be nice to see a little tougher racing.

Back
Top Bottom