Cup RACE thread --- Talladega

How does Stenhouse keep finding ways to be in winning opportunities here? Never seem such a terrible driver have such good luck in places like this.
Plate racing, the great equalizer. Some might suggest you look at anything ever said about Mikey and replace with Ricky's name.

I'd rather see him bring new sponsorship to petty and get the 43 out front again.
Actually that would be even better and is not to far of a reach now that he has peoples attention and is growing his fanbase. Sponsors will take notice.

Actually that would be even better and is not to far of a reach now that he has peoples attention and is growing his fanbase. Sponsors will take notice.
He's flirted with Dominos Pizza the past couple years (sponsored his Legends car last year), maybe they can squeeze in a one off or two this year.

This was a roller coaster of a race today. It had a lot of ups and downs but the fact that there were very few wrecks and no real big one, made it an awesome race even though fuel saving cost my main guy a chance for a win in the end. All 4 HMS teams had a shot at the win but just couldn't seal the deal for one reason or another.

Plate racing, the great equalizer. Some might suggest you look at anything ever said about Mikey and replace with Ricky's name.
More equalized cars.

Stenhouse’s average finish in 14 races at Talladega is 10.9 ... nobody else is close.

I still wear it when I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I never do but at the same time I hate saying that because how many news stories have you read about the skeptic like me who wouldn't listen and told everyone else who did they were nuts then that guy caught covid and died.

Something I've noticed in the past few races. It seems when you see the #48, that the #43 is close by. Maybe they like how they race each other, or is it Bubba trying to follow and learn from Jimmie?

That was a major multi-block by Blaney on Jones, if that was a different driver that ended up slammed into the wall I'm not sure it would be as well received.

I don't think Blaney's in love with how he got that one done. But hey it's last lap Dega.
I don’t think Blaney knew JHN was there to make it three-wide. Unfortunate it unfolded like that but I don’t think there was any ill intent.

I don’t think Blaney knew JHN was there to make it three-wide. Unfortunate it unfolded like that but I don’t think there was any ill intent.

Yeah totally agree, he didn't know JHN snuck up on Jones quarter, no ill-intent, prob thought they were just gonna bang doors and race to the line.

I was moved with the support for Bubba at the beginning of the race. The race felt different because of weather in the area, there was a sense of urgency throughout the race. Stenhouse was fun to watch, he's one of the drivers that consistently is able to move throught the field. The Penske team had a plan and were able to stick together - I wonder how they did that. The finish was typical blocking, it it the nature of this race. But the finish was exciting. (I still find myself holding my breath during the plate races).

I never do but at the same time I hate saying that because how many news stories have you read about the skeptic like me who wouldn't listen and told everyone else who did they were nuts then that guy caught covid and died.
A lot.

But it isn't about that. It's about spreading it to high risk people, and flooding the ICUs with COVID patienrs, which reduces the number of ventilators available for people who need intensive care for non-COVID issues. But this isn't the place for this.

I'd rather talk Blaney. I know it's Talladega, but he pulled out a dominant win, led the most laps, and was clutch.

Blaney has arguably been the fastest Penske car this year without the results to show for it. Hopefully they can start putting races together. Blaney flies under the rader but I can see him win 4 races this year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I will say it’s interesting seeing social media’s reaction to this. I think with us being one of the only shows playing and the support being brought around Bubba’s move for social change, a lot of positive momentum is growing around the sport.

If it means butts in the seats, I’m all for it. Say what you will but the NBA and NFL are so popular because they’re universally loved by all. MLB is supported by a strong Latino contingent, but it’s mostly white fans. Then you get to the PGA, MLS, NASCAR & NHL and it’s nothing but white people attending and viewing. I think not connecting with more ethnic groups really limits the size of these sports compared to your big 3.

And really if you think about it America goes NFL, NCAAF, NBA, MLB, NCAAB, NHL, then NASCAR-MLS-PGA.

Same margin of victory as last fall for the same winner as last fall.

Never seen anything like it. I was cussing Almirola the whole race. He had a fast car, faster then Harvick's, probably, the fastest SHR car on the track. But every time he came to the front, 3 times that I saw, he would bail out and fall back to the rear. I was calling him a yellow belly so in so along with assorted forum asterisk specials. But there he is on the final lap, right in the middle of the hunt finishing backwards for third. I love Super Speedway racing, it will make a liar out of ya every time.

That was a major multi-block by Blaney on Jones, if that was a different driver that ended up slammed into the wall I'm not sure it would be as well received.

I don't think Blaney's in love with how he got that one done. But hey it's last lap Dega.

Zig....zag...and a door slam. Complete superspeedway crap. He was the best car, but not at the right time, and that is everything in superspeedway racing. I'll give the kid credit though....after his role in Newman's crash at Daytona, he didn't flinch at roughing somebody up for a win. Pisses ice water.

I'll give the kid credit though....after his role in Newman's crash at Daytona, he didn't flinch at roughing somebody up for a win. Pisses ice water.

I think he froze hell over with it, because I just agreed with something you said.

I think he froze hell over with it, because I just agreed with something you said.

Probably more alike than different. Images in your mirror are closer than they appear. :cheers:

+1

Ugly run to the line. Blaney went too low blocking Jones, which gave the 20 room to get by on the high side. Remember, Blaney, that yellow line is your friend... no need to go that low. [It was a mirror image of Kenseth's blunder coming to the line in the 2016 Daytona 500. Kenseth blocked Hamlin all the way up to the wall, all the way up there, which gave Hamlin room to get by on the low side. Matt didn't need to go so high... there's a wall there dummy... use it, the wall is your friend.]

It seemed obvious from Blaney's post-race interview that he wasn't proud of how that last lap went down. But it's plate racing, you do what you have to do on the last lap.

+1

Ugly run to the line. Blaney went too low blocking Jones, which gave the 20 room to get by on the high side. Remember, Blaney, that yellow line is your friend... no need to go that low. [It was a mirror image of Kenseth's blunder coming to the line in the 2016 Daytona 500. Kenseth blocked Hamlin all the way up to the wall, all the way up there, which gave Hamlin room to get by on the low side. Matt didn't need to go so high... there's a wall there dummy... use it, the wall is your friend.]

It seemed obvious from Blaney's post-race interview that he wasn't proud of how that last lap went down. But it's plate racing, you do what you have to do on the last lap.
more players are involved in the story. In the Scanner Sounds clip posted in the Radioactive thread, Blaney's spotter was heavily involved in what happened.

Back
Top Bottom