Cup RACE thread --- Talladega

Helicopter view of last GWC.

Based on this footage and NASCAR's yellow line rule, here's my take of what happened:

-DiBenedetto forced Byron below the line, so he should be penalized
-Buescher forced Hamlin below the line, so he should be penalized
-Although Hamlin was forced down, he advanced his position and didn't give it back, so he should be penalized
-Elliott simply chose to drive below the yellow line on his own, so he should be penalized

But, I don't like rules that result in judgement calls. NASCAR should get rid of the yellow line rule, so they don't have to make these unfortunate calls in the future.

I see what I missed at the track now and why everyone hated the race..... We were mad Hamlin won but had no idea what happened as it wasn't really something we could see well from our seats and we didn't hang around to watch any replays on the infield TV screen.

So basically DiBenedetto got robbed of his 1st Cup win at a critical point in his career because Playoffs
No. He was rightfully penalized. Unlike Denny.

Byron was robbed of a second career win.

By NASCAR removing the Elliot penalty moved him up into 3rd in the points. Here is the updated points tally.

How did Byron get robbed? He was 4th.
He was originally knocked down below the line by a really crappy block by Matt D. He got it straightened out and were three wide, 24, 11, and the 21 going down the straight. The 24 in the middle didn't have any pushers out of the three and fell behind on the drag race to the finish

I don't like seeing team racing and manufacturer orders. But I don't see how that will change with multi-car teams.

Erik Jones finished 2nd...if Denny was penalized he’d be the winner. Lol
Thanks to NBC not the most important last 2 laps. Thank goodness for video. If anyone got robbed out of a win it was Jones without a doubt.

Last edited:
I posted the finish... post # 926 above
Thanks, I had not seen it in slo-mo and that definitely showed a much clearer view. After seeing that I think NASCAR made the right decision on Denny. He was definitely forced down below the line and when he made his final pass on the leaders to win the race he was clearly above the line. I think it is more about who won and who didn't that has some fans on the chip. Even though I'm not a Denny fan I have to give it to him. But, even though I am an Elliott fan I'm not so sure NASCAR made the right call on him. No one can accuse me of having a bias view. ;)

Thanks, I had not seen it in slo-mo and that definitely showed a much clearer view. After seeing that I think NASCAR made the right decision on Denny. He was definitely forced down below the line and when he made his final pass on the leaders to win the race he was clearly above the line. I think it is more about who won and who didn't that has some fans on the chip. Even though I'm not a Denny fan I have to give it to him. But, even though I am an Elliott fan I'm not so sure NASCAR made the right call on him. No one can accuse me of having a bias view. ;)
Elliott just jerked it down under the line and passed like the line wasn't there and they didn't do nothing. But all you hear is Hamlin...and I don't even like Hamlin but after watching the clip it's evident he didn't do anything wrong. The real bonehead is the 21 car who didn't come close to a decent block and started the whole mess in the first place.

My biggest complaint about the race wasn’t Denny winning, it’s the stupid obscure yellow line rules arbitrarily enforced that robbed Matty D and Buescher of top 5 finishes. Makes me sick that guys that ran up front and competed all day while Denny was riding in the back taking Addy don’t get rewarded. Especially Buescher, his move to block wasn’t anywhere near as bad as Matty D’s, that was merely to justify the non penalty on Hamlin. If there was no yellow line rule, we’d all be talking about what a fantastic finish that was instead of bashing nascars sanctioning body. They try so hard to not have fans lmao

I think many people are upset that Denny didn't even care about winning. Even with a handful of laps left, he was riding in the back just securing those points. A few crashes and he somehow ended up at the front and figured he might as well go for it with very few good cars left. That's always been the frustrating thing about this type of racing. You don't even have to try and you can still easily get a top 5.

My biggest complaint about the race wasn’t Denny winning, it’s the stupid obscure yellow line rules arbitrarily enforced that robbed Matty D and Buescher of top 5 finishes. Makes me sick that guys that ran up front and competed all day while Denny was riding in the back taking Addy don’t get rewarded. Especially Buescher, his move to block wasn’t anywhere near as bad as Matty D’s, that was merely to justify the non penalty on Hamlin. If there was no yellow line rule, we’d all be talking about what a fantastic finish that was instead of bashing nascars sanctioning body. They try so hard to not have fans lmao
You probably need to look at post # 926, nobody messed with Buescher, in fact he booted Jones up top...hard, and that if anything hurt his momentum coming to the flag.

My biggest take away from all this bull**** is nothing matters but promoting the dumb playoff.

It’s time NASCAR just sends everyone else home but the 16 playoff drivers after race 26. No need for any of them to be on the track. NASCAR goes out of their way to screw them over and help their chosen playoff warriors to promote the “drama”.

I wish OD and Miller would just be honest. **** DiBenedetto and Erik Jones. We don’t care about them. We want our playoff warriors to be the story. We want Hamlin and Harvick to win every race so we can pit them against each other like Maximus and Commodus in the Colosseum. We’ll even give Hamlin a concealed dagger and let him knife someone from behind like a sneak thief to give him the advantage. It’s all a joke.

Elliott just jerked it down under the line and passed like the line wasn't there and they didn't do nothing. But all you hear is Hamlin...and I don't even like Hamlin but after watching the clip it's evident he didn't do anything wrong. The real bonehead is the 21 car who didn't come close to a decent block and started the whole mess in the first place.
Yeah, from the shot they showed on tv coming to the line, I thought the 17 blocked the 9 and forced him down. The helicopter view showed that the 17 was clear and Chase had a heck of a run, 17 threw block but Chase wasn't there yet and Chase went below line. They probably should have upheld the 9 penalty. Either that or Chase should have held line and turned 17, which deep down is what NASCAR wants at these things so we get those sweet, sweet carnage montage ads. /s

I think many people are upset that Denny didn't even care about winning. Even with a handful of laps left, he was riding in the back just securing those points. A few crashes and he somehow ended up at the front and figured he might as well go for it with very few good cars left. That's always been the frustrating thing about this type of racing. You don't even have to try and you can still easily get a top 5.
Riding in the back is how he won. It doesn't show he doesn't care about winning, just he opposite. It shows he thinks there are going to be plenty of accidents and that riding in back until the last possible moment is the best way to be avoid those wrecks and be around at the end. Harvick did it most of the day too, but decided to stay up front one restart too soon.

Hamlin isn't the first one to successfully follow this strategy, and it isn't the first time the team has used it to get a plate win. Like you, I dislike it when a car that's been in the mid-30s most of the day is able to win a race. But that's pack racing. I dislike the strategy but I can't fault the #11 team for repeating what they've done in the past; not when doing it often gets them a win.

My biggest take away from all this bull**** is nothing matters but promoting the dumb playoff.

It’s time NASCAR just sends everyone else home but the 16 playoff drivers after race 26. No need for any of them to be on the track. NASCAR goes out of their way to screw them over and help their chosen playoff warriors to promote the “drama”.

I wish OD and Miller would just be honest. **** DiBenedetto and Erik Jones. We don’t care about them. We want our playoff warriors to be the story. We want Hamlin and Harvick to win every race so we can pit them against each other like Maximus and Commodus in the Colosseum. We’ll even give Hamlin a concealed dagger and let him knife someone from behind like a sneak thief to give him the advantage. It’s all a joke.

1000% this. Nascar wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want the illusion of “anyone can win” and want the full fields and fans tuning in to watch their drivers, but the reality is anyone not in the chase has no remote chance to win in the postseason. The last non chaser to get a win was Jamie McMurray at Talladega in 2013. Conveniently since they implemented the gimmicky elimination round format, not a single non chaser has won. To top that off you have the championship race where the rest of the field is out for a Sunday drive and doesn’t try to win while the championship 4 always wind up 1-4 lol. How strange that Kyle Busch, Truex, and Harvick had the best cars at homestead in November, and once they moved the race out of the championship race they were all out to lunch

Riding in the back is how he won. It doesn't show he doesn't care about winning, just he opposite. It shows he thinks there are going to be plenty of accidents and that riding in back until the last possible moment is the best way to be avoid those wrecks and be around at the end. Harvick did it most of the day too, but decided to stay up front one restart too soon.

Hamlin isn't the first one to successfully follow this strategy, and it isn't the first time the team has used it to get a plate win. Like you, I dislike it when a car that's been in the mid-30s most of the day is able to win a race. But that's pack racing. I dislike the strategy but I can't fault the #11 team for repeating what they've done in the past; not when doing it often gets them a win.

Oh, I know it's the way to go about the plate tracks. I'd have to rewatch, but I'm not even sure he was up there for the first overtime.

I think many are upset because Denny won. I know I wasn't that keen on it. He's not very popular

which deep down is what NASCAR wants at these things so we get those sweet, sweet carnage montage ads. /s
Not sure why you used the /s, NASCAR has already used Newman’s Daytona 500 wreck in advertisements. They don’t care about the legitimacy of the sport, they care about optics and theatrics.

Back
Top Bottom