Cup RACE thread --- The All-Star race

Sorry if I'm late in beating the dead horse but while Scott Miller owned up to NASCAR throwing an unnecessary caution, his explanation regarding the possibly unsecured window net is ludicrous.

Basically, he said they had no way of knowing if the net wasn't secured and therefore had no reason to bring Blaney to the pits to fix it.

But they also had no way of knowing if the net was secure, as required for safety reasons.

imo, mumbling Miller should see if a job sweeping floors is available somewhere.
Wait, how did they know Hamlin net was or was not secured or any other driver? Maybe they should have called everyone into the pits for a safety check.

It looks even worse in picture form
1653352750850.png

I think we’re also overlooking the fact that a popular champion driver with a lot of recent wins said clean air is still king and that passing wasn’t possible.
This new car still has aero problems.
That sucks.

Should have just made him come on in and have it checked then sent him out to the back of the line.
Not sure if anyone has posted this but bringing him and allowing only a nascar official to inspect the net installation while still under caution would have made the most sense to me.

If installed correctly send him back to the lead. If not order the team to correct it and line him up at the end of the line for needing pit service.

Monday night quarterbacking is too easy but this was a safety Issue and should have been handled with great care.

lol. How about watching Truex lead 392 laps of the 600 coming up does that count?

Obviously it was her BF leading 392 of the 400 laps and she wasn't going be bored with it just like any other GF or wife.

I don’t think letting one guy pit to save his own ass would’ve gained NASCAR any more credibility than throwing the BS caution. NASCAR screwed up, they admitted that, there is no fix that is going to set well with all the fans.
Blaney and his spotter are the reason the net was down. He shouldn’t get a free pass for making a mistake. He had the best car and he clearly deserved the win and the $1M dollars.
NASCAR is a bad circus.

and NASCAR runs the show, they threw the caution, everything else is a moot point because if you are in NASCAR competition you go by their rules. If you make a mistake and get happy and drop the window net before the race is over, or if you go down pit road on the white flag lap and lose the race like Mark Martin did , NASCAR doesnt care.
This always makes it all over but the crying

Wonder if Nascar issues a memo at the next drivers meeting : if you drop a window net or loosen seat belts prior to the official checkered flag for any reason, a pit stop inspection and loss of track position will be required (perhaps a penalty would also be appropriate).

It doesnt matter why, just dont do it until it is absolutely clear that there was no last minute cautions (with the exception of fire or some other issue requiring an immediate exit of the car).

#StillGladBlaneyWonAllstarrace I think

Wonder if Nascar issues a memo at the next drivers meeting : if you drop a window net or loosen seat belts prior to the official checkered flag for any reason, a pit stop inspection and loss of track position will be required (perhaps a penalty would also be appropriate).

It doesnt matter why, just dont do it until it is absolutely clear that there was no last minute cautions (with the exception of fire or some other issue requiring an immediate exit od the car).

#StillGladBlaneyWonAllstarrace I think
I think if you drop a net or loosen belts before the official end of a race then you aren’t in compliance with NASCAR safety regulations and you don’t get the win. Whether you deserve it or not.
William Munny even said, “Deserve’s got nuthin’ to do with it…”

I think if you drop a net or loosen belts before the official end of a race then you aren’t in compliance with NASCAR safety regulations and you don’t get the win. Whether you deserve it or not.
William Munny even said, “Deserve’s got nuthin’ to do with it…”
I agree.

If one guy gets to skirt the rules then everyone does. Or it isn’t fair.
If that’s how you want to run an organization then you should be open to scrutiny when someone questions your credibility.

I don't give a rat's ass what they eventually do with the window net, but if Scott Miller or Elton Sawyer come on my radio one more time, and tell us that they had no way to know if the net was secure or not, I will lose my ****. That is complete bull****. They monitor the radios. They could ask Blaney. If Blaney is wrong or lies, DQ him. Simple....and they ****** know it.

I don't give a rat's ass what they eventually do with the window net, but if Scott Miller or Elton Sawyer come on my radio one more time, and tell us that they had no way to know if the net was secure or not, I will lose my ****. That is complete bull****. They monitor the radios. They could ask Blaney. If Blaney is wrong or lies, DQ him. Simple....and they ****** know it.
Settle down! Just because YOUR car finished second no need to lose it. You can ask Ryan all you want, all he has to say is I believe it is secured. He admitted on the late shift that from the seat couldn't even see the back corner of it to know if it was in the proper place. He attempted to adjust his left side mirror to see back there but that didn't work very well.

Does anyone even know what the rule says in regards to the window net being up? Before we lose our minds maybe we should look into that? I have no clue does it have a certain required tension? Does it say secured and tight, if so what is that defined as?

I have no idea what the rule says in regards to proper installation, but it's generally the teams that want them tight as possible because of aero.

I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole nascar wants to go on this one. What's next disqualifying a guy because he didn't have his belts tight enough?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Don't care if he won or not, just didn't want to see him hurt.

Just as Ryan outed Hamlin that if the roles were reversed (that Hamlin would be happy and Ryan would be crying foul), you people up in arms about “rules” would have had NO issue with NASCAR allowing the driver to compete with a net down if he was YOUR driver. Wether you admit it or not.

Just as Ryan outed Hamlin that if the roles were reversed (that Hamlin would be happy and Ryan would be crying foul), you people up in arms about “rules” would have had NO issue with NASCAR allowing the driver to compete with a net down if he was YOUR driver. Wether you admit it or not.
You don’t speak for everyone here.

I'll just chime in with my worthless thoughts on this.

I have an issue with them letting Blaney continuing the race with his window net issue. That window nets is there for a reason and needed to be 100% properly secured for safety reasons. As unfair as it may be, NASCAR should have required Blaney to come down pit road and have a crew member put it back up properly, and Blaney restart at the end of the pack.

That may be unfair or seem unfair, but it's also unfair that Kyle Busch had a tire fail while in the lead, or when a car blows an engine. It was unfair that Kasey Kahne got a bull**** speeding penalty at Daytona many years ago simply because he was avoiding a wreck, or Carl Edwards passing a car below the yellow line at the Bud Shootout like a decade ago... but there was a wreck and he actually lost places. **** happens, and if you don't like it, make sure your window net doesn't come down on its own next time.

I disagree. I believe my sincerity for saying this was questioned when I said it but I don’t watch motor sports to watch these guys get maimed or killed. Safety rules are important for keeping competitors safe. If it was Larson or Elliott that was allowed to do this I would have been just as disappointed as I was on Sunday night. That yellow being thrown, not calling Blaney in to secure the window net and then him being allowed to compete with it…it all stunk to me. Driver preference wouldn’t have mattered

I guess I can't edit my post in #635, so I'll add to it in this one.

I was under the initial incorrect assumption that the window net came down on its own, when in fact Blaney took it down himself because he thought the race was over.

Because of that circumstance and how NASCAR through a BS yellow, they should have allowed him to come down pitroad and fix the window net and then re-gain his place in 1st.

sorry for my initial confusing and wrong post.

Back
Top Bottom